Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Did it again- another kayak trip

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Did it again- another kayak trip
on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:57 AM
Those of you that are desperate enough for friends that you've added me on Facebook have already seen these.  For the rest of you, this is a trip I took last year for the first time, and enjoyed immensely, so I did it again.  Sort of.

I only live a block or so from the shore, so rather than drive down like I did last year I decided to load my boat on the cart and walk it down.  Because a 13 foot kayak on a cart isn't the best thing on a trail I ended up having to take a longer trail, which meant about a 5km hike to get to the water.  Dragging a boat.  :D

Finally I made it to the boat launch, disassembled my cart, strapped it to the boat and got everything else situated to go for a nice paddle.  Last year it took Frank and I about 4 and a half hours to make it around.  Frank's boat isn't all that fast, made specifically for flat water and he insisted on fishing, so I figured this year I'd be able to make better time, even if I was in my slower 13 foot boat rather than my bigger 17 foot one.

This is me just north of George's Island, a small island in the middle of Halifax Harbour.  I suppose this is as good a time as any to post the map to show you where I went and what I'm talking about!  :D

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BygxUHLkg5hKY3NaNWp0a0ktdVE/edit?usp=sharing

Since cruise ships are a bit topical at the moment I snapped some pics of the two cruise ships that were in the harbour, and I thought it made a neat picture since that glass building next to them is eight or nine stories tall.  That shows people who have never seen one of these ships up close just how big they are in real life, and these ones are only about average- there are much bigger ones out there.

This is one of the dockyards I work at- a place called Halterm, and quite honestly, I loathe this place.  The idiots here don't have too much business yet, have no prospects of getting more business and still decided to buy the two cranes on the right that were installed last month.  They cost millions of dollars each, for a terminal that only services one main line and a couple of small feeder lines.   ::)

This is the Halifax skyline.  It may not be a big city, but it certainly is a pretty one in the right light!  :D  Note the absence of really large buildings- because one of the city's main attractions is an old fort on Citadel Hill (that bit of greenery on the right above the other stuff), the city doesn't allow tall buildings downtown to spoil the view.  After all, you never know when the Spanish or the French are going to sneak in!   :ahhh

Speaking of touristy stuff, this is a tall ship that does harbour tours.  I can't recall the name of it, but it's one of many different tours you can take in Halifax, and one of the less humiliating ones too.  There's a walking tour of Halifax where they make the tourists wear Sou'Westers, which is just kind of silly.  For those of you that don't know what that is, it's a traditional rain hat:

But, back to the main story.  This next photo is where things got a bit interesting, and the photos died off for a bit.  You see, if you look closely in this next photo you'll see a small lighthouse off the distance on the left.  From the end of the point to the land on the right is open ocean, and if I went straight out on the angle I took this photo, I'd end up (eventually) in Africa.

The ocean is no place for a 13 foot chunk of plastic, and the swells got quite large at this point.  While they were much higher than my boat, they were also significantly larger, so I wasn't likely to be swamped.  What did happen was the scenery in the distance started to disappear as the "landscape" rose up to about eye level around me, then lifted me up with much the same feeling you get going up in an elevator.  I only rose a couple of feet, but when you are sitting right at water level it seems HUGE.  And terrifying.  Especially for me, who has a major phobia about the ocean, and the fact that I was alone, so if I went in, I could have been there for a while before help came, even though the harbour has a fair bit of traffic.

The worst part was when I got past Halterm (yes the photos aren't in order!) and out past Point Pleasant Park at the very tip of the city.  The swells became actual waves at that point and crashed every way but gentle onto the stony point of the park.  If it had been a soft beach I'd have taken the opportunity to surf them in the boat, but then, if it was a soft beach it would have been worn away years ago.  And, the current was driving me at the rocks, so I didn't get any photos, I was too busy keeping myself from an unpleasant end.

Once I was around the point and into the Dingle Arm (the waterway on the other side of the city) things calmed down a bit, but as I was heading south on the harbour side I had the wind at my back.  Now, in the Arm I was going into the wind, and given how many marinas there are in this area, I was constantly dodging sailboats that were coming at me at a good clip.  Even so, I was happy as a pig in poop to get away from the ocean.

Anyone who doesn't think there's money in our city has obviously never been up the Dingle Arm.  I snapped a few pics of sailboats in the marinas, and marveled at the splendor of the boats tied up to the private docks of the houses on the Arm.  Property alone along here is worth about a million dollars, or three times that of my apartment building.   :ahhh

I have to say, as fun a trip as this was, I was VERY glad to see Horseshoe Park at the end of it.  As I was waiting for my wife to pick me up I sat and watched these ducks going about their business, napping in the sun, something I really felt like doing too!

All in all I covered 19.4kms, including the walk to get to the park in the first place.  Everything was covered in salt, as you can see from the GPS screen.

My camera housing was significantly obscured by salt, my paddle is all gritty, my skirt stained (I know that is going to cause some jokes :P), my watch unreadable, the screen on my phone virtually unuseable, and there was also a lot of salt encrusted on my hands, although I didn't post the pic on FB of crusty white stuff on my hand for obvious reasons... :P

All in all it was a great trip and I enjoyed it more than I have said here.  There is a lot more to it, like the seal I saw, and being terrified of the Coast Guard ship Earl Grey passing very close to me, or the guy in the sailboat that was probably a little annoyed at how easily I passed him by!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline RamoN

Re: Did it again- another kayak trip
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:23:38 AM
Damn im so jealous of those trips!!!! but thanks to your detailed pics and chronicles i can now lie and post this on my facebook page and say its me  :rofl: just kidding glad you had a great time with your kayak and great report. Nothing like a good adventure full of scares and awes  :salute:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:25:42 AM
Great pics Def, that looked like a nice trip out. We really do have a beautiful city, makes me miss living in Clayton Park sometimes and being close to the water front.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:35:40 AM
I actually have video of most of it.  When I get a chance I'll upload a time lapse of the trip so you can all enjoy my trip as much as I did.  :D

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:54:51 AM
Awesome trip Boss!  I love boats although I've never been in a kayak. My friend has a 24 ft Bayliner he keeps procrastinating in getting fixed. We used to have so much fun on that boat but alas it has been in disrepair for the past several years. He's retired so he has limited funds for repairing it so he keeps buying parts and trying to fix it himself but that is yet to happen  :-\
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:41 AM
Every now and then I think about getting a bowrider or a catamaran or something. A bigger boat would be fun but it's just not in the budget right now.  I'm happy with my kayaks since I can go places that other boats can't since I only have about a three inch draft.  :D

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 02:27:58 AM
...since I only have about a three inch draft.  :D

Def

That's what she said! :rofl:

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 4

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:53:47 AM
Good one!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:09:23 PM
In the spirit of last year's Musquodoboit River video:

I put together two and a half (or so) hours of footage from my three and a half hour paddle around the peninsula last week.  Two and a half hours condensed into about 8 minutes means the video was done at 16x speed, so it's a bit jumpy.  I was only going to do it at 8x speed but I figured no one was going to sit through almost twenty minutes of a kind of boring adventure- boring at least to watch if you weren't there.  :D

Unfortunately the battery died before I could finish, but you do get the added bonus of seeing my walk through the neighborhood with my boat.  You'll note that I had to cross under the bridge three times to get to the point where I could cross under it with a boat.   :ahhh

Def

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 04:43:31 PM
I love bridges too and that is one awesome bridge!  You're lucky to live where you are and get fairer weather. As for me, here in Florida, the heat gets to me daily and our electric bill pays for it constantly...
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 06:04:25 PM
That is one of two bridges connecting Halifax and Dartmouth.  You can see the other one in the video too.  The one I started under is the McKay bridge and the other is the MacDonald.  They are toll bridges and it costs a dollar to get across.

Def

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%