Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your multitool pet peeve?

3rdpig · 57 · 6172

us Offline 3rdpig

What's your multitool pet peeve?
on: September 22, 2013, 10:14:39 PM
Mine is crappy phillips screwdrivers.  I can't seem to make it through a single day without having to use a phillips driver.

For starters, I'm not a big fan of 2D phillips screwdrivers because the shank is usually short and wide, which means it's unusable for almost any inset screw.  Secondly, they tend to be made from soft materials who's edges round easily. 

I just got a Gerber Diesel and it's got one of the worst 2D screwdrivers I've run into (with the exception of maybe the Freehand), it won't bite into anything. If Gerber can put a 3D phillips in the Octane (albeit a bad one) and the 400 why can't they put one in the Diesel?  Drop the stupid lanyard ring, it's useless for a tool this size and put a real phillips driver into it, but please for God's sakes, not the one in the Octane.

Leatherman's 2D bits are somewhat better, they bite OK and they're a decent hardness and at least I can put an extension on one, but it's still not useful for inset screws unless the hole is really large. 

Sog's 3D phillips are not horrible, they fit half decently in most screws, but the materials in newer ones are just way, way too soft, as is their entire tool for that matter.

Vic phillips drivers are nice, but they polish them to within an inch of their lives and this means they don't bite well.  In order to use one without danger of buggering up every screw it touches you really need to bead blast the tip, which I've done on a couple of mine.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but why can't we be more like the Canadians and use Robertson screws?  They are so, so much better than Phillips and even Gerber can't screw up a Robertson driver.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: What's your multitool pet peeve?
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:22:47 PM
I don't think I've ever had a problem with the drivers on a Spirit or a SAK inline driver? The one on the Octane is rather shabby, but has worked for me, and whilst I have always managed with LMs 2.5d bits, I'm not totally enamoured by them. The Flik was abysmal. The biggest problem I haver with the SOG one is I never encounter P1 screws - it's always smaller or larger so the bloody thing never fits. The ones on my Balance, Fit, MP700, MP400 have been spot on and served me well many times, and I've had good results with the flattened one on the Grappler too (though I haven't used it that much in fairness)

My own gripe is already very well known here, and is documented in many many threads so I'll not list it all again here. Needless to say, for those who don't know, it's the perpetually infuriating Leatherman Juice CS4
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:26:55 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:31:59 PM
... and if it was "pocket tool peeves" and not "multitool peeves", I'd also be adding the utterly ridiculous operating system on Zebralight torches

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:11 PM
I don't think I've ever had a problem with the drivers on a Spirit or a SAK inline driver? The one on the Octane is rather shabby, but has worked for me, and whilst I have always managed with LMs 2.5d bits, I'm not totally enamoured by them. The Flik was abysmal. The ones on my Balance, Fit, MP700, MP400 have been spot on, and I've had good results with the flattened one on the Grappler

My own gripe is already very well known here, and is documented in many many threads so I'll not list it all again here. Needless to say, for those who don't know, it's the perpetually infuriating Leatherman Juice CS4

My Balance and Fit are fine too, Gerbers 3D bits are fine as is the 800 and 400.  The Flik was as bad as the Freehand, truly worthless IMO.  The Spirit and Swisstool are probably the first Vic phillips I really didn't feel instantly compelled to bead blast, but it would still improve the bite if it were, and if I ever start carrying the Spirit on a daily basis again I probably will. It really does improve the bit and keep you from having to put so much pressure on the driver.

Ok, now I'm going to have to do a search to find out your problem with the CS4, I think mine now resides in the GF's purse.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:22 PM
... and if it was "pocket tool peeves" and not "multitool peeves", I'd also be adding the utterly ridiculous operating system on Zebralight torches

Somebody posted a very funny sequence of events when trying to operate their Zebralight.  You maybe?  I don't own one but I got a good laugh from that post.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:45:35 PM

Somebody posted a very funny sequence of events when trying to operate their Zebralight.  You maybe?  I don't own one but I got a good laugh from that post.

This one ... ? :P

If it was my first light, I'd love it  :tu:
If it was my only light (or most used) I'd most probably learn to love it  :tu:
As an occasional use light it's frustrating different UI is a bigger factor than the hue of the light  :-\

Here's what ACTUALLY happens if you don't instantly connect with it ... 

Zebralight Learning Curve:

• Grab light and push button with thumb, forgetting that (unlike any other torch that ever existed)depending how quick you do that depends what light you get - full power, minimum power, or a rapid scroll through levels. Swear at it!
  • Push button lightly (as in soft press) for next level and wait to see which level is next. It goes off (but not immediately). Swear at it!
  • Push button to turn it back on at a different speed, and light comes on at a different light level to before. Swear at it.
  • Try double clicking it. The light changes two settings, but flickers the intermediate setting on it's way there. Feel the start of a headache coming on, and swear at it!
  • Remember the "press and hold to change mode" thingy. Press and hold button. It goes too far before you let go and you get the light level after the one you wanted. Swear at it!
  • Press button quicker to advance light mode slower, and it goes off. Swear at it loudly!
  • Press button to turn back on, this time with eyes shut as you're getting frightened of giving yourself a seizure. Swear at it regardless of light level. Open eyes and assess which level the imp has chosen. Swear again regardless of result!
  • Press and hold and whimper as the light cycles through the various levels as you try to time it to stop on the right one. With gritted teeth and misting eyes, finally achieve the required light level for the job at hand (praying it doesn't need more than one light level)
  • Press the button to turn it off and it waits a fraction of a second just in case it's a double click. That's enough time for your brain to think you didn't press it right and tell your thumb to try again. By the time your thumb starts moving again the light has gone off so you end up turning it on again! SCREAM AT IT !!!
  • Whilst still screaming, press the button more slowly and deliberately to make bloody sure the button works this time. Light level changes and stays on. Look at the window to decide if it's high enough to jump out of. Start to cry
  • Stop ... take a breath ... think clearly and press the button once and wait. Light goes off!
  • Return light to drawer and pick up something else which hasn't been possessed by an evil spirit. Attempt to calm down and mend your wounded soul.
  • Leave the light there until you've read enough posts at good people at MT.O who have tamed the beast with bright smiling faces and give it constant praise. Feel convinced it's worth trying it out again.
  • Return to step 1 ......

:P

Yeah, I might have had something to do with that ...  :whistle:

Ok, now I'm going to have to do a search to find out your problem with the CS4, I think mine now resides in the GF's purse.

Here's a couple of starters ...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25232.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39553.0.html

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:47:25 PM

Yes, that would be Al. :D

One of the best phillips screwdrivers for light and medium work is the 3D one on the small Victorinox Rambler. I've taken several computers and laptops apart with it and it's good on larger jobs too. And it's size makes it perfect for always having it with you.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:51:27 PM
One of the best phillips screwdrivers for light and medium work is the 3D one on the small Victorinox Rambler. I've taken several computers and laptops apart with it and it's good on larger jobs too. And it's size makes it perfect for always having it with you.

:tu: Incredible little tool! I've tightened up locks and hinges on doors with that little beauty  :o :o

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:55:43 PM

:tu: Incredible little tool! I've tightened up locks and hinges on doors with that little beauty  :o :o

I've just used it last week to change the lock cylinder on my front door. :D

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:58:37 PM
one that bugs me is specific to Leatherman tools with outside blades. (wave, charge, Surge)

I have a Charge AL, a Charge TTi, and a Surge,  I had  a wave, but passed it on to someone who needed one.

I hate when I try to close the tool after having the pliers out and the pliers bind against either a tool, or the little guide.  you can for it, but you shouldn't.  I can get it back by making sure it pivots in certain places before others, but I should not have to do this.  the Charge AL, does not do this, it works great.  all of the others do it about half of the time
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 11:20:46 PM

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but why can't we be more like the Canadians and use Robertson screws?  They are so, so much better than Phillips and even Gerber can't screw up a Robertson driver.
It is true they do not strip nearly as easily as philips screws. However they are very specific. With philips screws a #2 driver can work for several other sizes, while with robertsons you need the exact size driver.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 12:03:18 AM

This one ... ? :P

If it was my first light, I'd love it  :tu:
If it was my only light (or most used) I'd most probably learn to love it  :tu:
As an occasional use light it's frustrating different UI is a bigger factor than the hue of the light  :-\

Here's what ACTUALLY happens if you don't instantly connect with it ... 

Zebralight Learning Curve:

• Grab light and push button with thumb, forgetting that (unlike any other torch that ever existed)depending how quick you do that depends what light you get - full power, minimum power, or a rapid scroll through levels. Swear at it!
  • Push button lightly (as in soft press) for next level and wait to see which level is next. It goes off (but not immediately). Swear at it!
  • Push button to turn it back on at a different speed, and light comes on at a different light level to before. Swear at it.
  • Try double clicking it. The light changes two settings, but flickers the intermediate setting on it's way there. Feel the start of a headache coming on, and swear at it!
  • Remember the "press and hold to change mode" thingy. Press and hold button. It goes too far before you let go and you get the light level after the one you wanted. Swear at it!
  • Press button quicker to advance light mode slower, and it goes off. Swear at it loudly!
  • Press button to turn back on, this time with eyes shut as you're getting frightened of giving yourself a seizure. Swear at it regardless of light level. Open eyes and assess which level the imp has chosen. Swear again regardless of result!
  • Press and hold and whimper as the light cycles through the various levels as you try to time it to stop on the right one. With gritted teeth and misting eyes, finally achieve the required light level for the job at hand (praying it doesn't need more than one light level)
  • Press the button to turn it off and it waits a fraction of a second just in case it's a double click. That's enough time for your brain to think you didn't press it right and tell your thumb to try again. By the time your thumb starts moving again the light has gone off so you end up turning it on again! SCREAM AT IT !!!
  • Whilst still screaming, press the button more slowly and deliberately to make bloody sure the button works this time. Light level changes and stays on. Look at the window to decide if it's high enough to jump out of. Start to cry
  • Stop ... take a breath ... think clearly and press the button once and wait. Light goes off!
  • Return light to drawer and pick up something else which hasn't been possessed by an evil spirit. Attempt to calm down and mend your wounded soul.
  • Leave the light there until you've read enough posts at good people at MT.O who have tamed the beast with bright smiling faces and give it constant praise. Feel convinced it's worth trying it out again.
  • Return to step 1 ......

:P

Yeah, I might have had something to do with that ...  :whistle:

Here's a couple of starters ...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25232.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39553.0.html

Thanks, that was the Zebralight post I was thinking of.  I think I laughed as hard reading it this time as I did the first. We have a very similar sense of humor.

While I'm not as hard on the Juice as you are, there's a point to be made that I've got 3, a CS4 (or is it a C2?  Been so long since I've seen it I can't remember), S2 and XE6 and don't carry or use any of them.  Not sure why I keep them, but then again, I can say the same of half the tools I own.  And like you, all the flat drivers are another pet peeve of mine.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 12:06:51 AM

Yes, that would be Al. :D

Off to ebay!

Edited to add:  Darn, there are several of the Swiss Bianco Alox Ramblers and they look really nice.  I'm trying to remind myself how good the Vic tweezers are right now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:12:04 AM by 3rdpig »

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:07:41 AM
it would be fine if everyone used Pozi. The nice things about Phillips and Pozi is that one bit covers a large range of screws. #2 fits most screws screws you're like to come across that are within the torque capability of an MT. #3 fits bigger things and is usually the realms of something beefier, often with a battery attached.

Rather than Robertsons, why not Torx? It's like Robertson only better.

Anyway, I have to agree with 3rdpig's first post really. I'd extend it to cover small flat drivers too, Victorinox has one of a useful size in the Spirit but SOG don't do one and Leathermans either don't have one (Wave/Charge, the bits don't have the reach) or it's too big (Rebar). The Fuse/Blast have a better sized one but for me that was still too fat so has had to be shrunk a bit. Flat screwdrivers on the end of files also strike me as being a bit silly. Files tend to be wide so you stick a large flat driver on the end. Large slotted screws tend to need a lot of torque putting on to them, otherwise you'd have a small slot, and you're supposed to be putting a lot of torque down something that to be effective as a file has to be really hard. Hard => brittle, brittle+torque=ping.

Peeves other than screwdrivers would have to be blades. I suppose I can see some purpose in a small Wharncliffe blade for really precise stuff (like a scalpel) but I don't get the big ones on Gerbers. Surely you're just putting all the wear on to the tip so if you want a sharp tip you won't have one? With a blade with a decent belly, you've got a much larger slicey area saving the tip for when you really need it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:19 AM
Rather than Robertsons, why not Torx? It's like Robertson only better.

I've stripped a few tory screws in my days. No Robertson screws available here but I doubt that would ever happen with them.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 12:29:40 AM
I love the leatherman bits but I hate it when I need them for a recessed screw... :(
For those i like the pst, super tool driver. My favorite is the st300 or multitasker. Both are excellent drivers.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 12:33:50 AM
Tools that pinch or are painful to use.
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 01:19:43 AM
As much as I love the Vic Spirit (it has been my work EDC for last 4 years), I am not keen on its wire cutters.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:30 AM
Those of you that have an Octane, fold out the phillips and take a look at it.  With the tool on it's side it's quite pointed and looks like it would fit small to medium phillips screws pretty well.  Now look at it with the tool turned on it's edge, now it looks like it was designed to fit large phillips.  The result is it fits nothing.  I've never, ever seen another phillips shaped this way and both my Octanes are like this, but my 400, 600 and 800 are not and fit most phillips pretty well.

It looks as if it was designed to be a 2D bit and then widened to 3D at the last minute without any thought to the fact that it won't fit anything.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:29:46 AM by 3rdpig »

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:24 AM
Those of you that have an Octane, fold out the phillips and take a look at it.  With the tool on it's side it's quite pointed and looks like it would fit small to medium phillips screws pretty well.  Now look at it with the tool turned on it's edge, now it looks like it was designed to fit large phillips.  The result is it fits nothing.  I've never, ever seen another phillips shaped this way and both my Octanes are like this, but my 400, 600 and 800 are not and fit most phillips pretty well.

It looks as if it was designed to be a 2D bit and then widened to 3D at the last minute without any thought to the fact that it won't fit anything.

(Image removed from quote.)

wow,  I see how messed up that is
If I can help, let me know 

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:33 AM
I hate how Gerber makes these very nice MP-series of tools, quite a good feel, nice tools, and then put some flimsy plastic thingies on the thing as lock covers  :rant:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 02:06:18 AM
I never like when it takes more than one step to access a tool.  Examples would be to open the scissors on a Juice S2 one has to open the bottle/can opener first, or pretty much any pliers-based MT that has inside-opening tools.

Another pet peeve of mine is poor quality.  It is my fingers (and possibly more) on the line, so I'm willing to pay more to get the best.  If something is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Finally, while it is a given that some tools/functions will be better than others, I really dislike finding problems that should have been obvious immediately with the first prototype, e.g. if anyone had actually tried to use this screwdriver (or saw, or whatever) before they mass-produced it and rushed it to market, they would have caught the problem.  Looks like the Octane phillips driver may be an example of this.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 03:15:44 AM
I never like when it takes more than one step to access a tool.  Examples would be to open the scissors on a Juice S2 one has to open the bottle/can opener first, or pretty much any pliers-based MT that has inside-opening tools.

I agree completely, this is kind of what turned me off, among other things, to the Powerlock with the tool covers.  Not only did I have to open the tool, then I had to open the cover befor I could get to a tool, then I had to close the cover and flip the tool shut.  And as often as not, when I'd flip the cover open it would pop off, then I'd have to find it and put it back on.  This as the Brits here love to say, is way to much faffing around for me.

Another pet peeve of mine is poor quality.  It is my fingers (and possibly more) on the line, so I'm willing to pay more to get the best.  If something is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

That's a big one for me as well.  It's why I curse under my breath when anyone gives me a Sheffield or something similar as a gift.  I smile, say Thank You then it goes in the big freezer bag with all the other junk I won't use.  I won't even give that garbage away because I don't want to be responsible for someone hurting themselves.  I feel like I'm doing a service to mankind by keeping it in my closet where it can do no harm.

Finally, while it is a given that some tools/functions will be better than others, I really dislike finding problems that should have been obvious immediately with the first prototype, e.g. if anyone had actually tried to use this screwdriver (or saw, or whatever) before they mass-produced it and rushed it to market, they would have caught the problem.  Looks like the Octane phillips driver may be an example of this.

I'm not naming names, but a lot of the Chinese tools seem to have no real testing, I can understand this for the brandless junk that comes over, but for Gerber, Sog and Leatherman it's unforgivable IMO.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 03:26:15 AM
The old Leathermans (PST, PST 2, Sideclip, Etc...) have nice bead blasted drivers.
Leatherman

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 03:37:47 AM
I would love to see more full size magnetic bit drivers in multi tools.  Adapters work ok and are at lest portable but I don't care for the Swisstools wench + ratchet and it's one of the main reasons I don't carry mine. :(

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 02:28:06 PM
Think this has already been said,but if everyone would use standard quarter inch bits instead of coming up with funky off sizes. Buggered up the Balance comprehensively!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 03:57:32 PM
While I really like my Swisstool I don`t have the talons of an eagle and find it nail-breakingly
 impossible to open the shorter tools and so have to keep a small coin handy to catch those
 deep nail-nicks and overcome the strong backsprings. Perhaps I should carry a smaller MT so
that I can open my big one :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:35:21 PM by gardenvalley »
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 05:08:10 PM

I am glad that I am not the only one annoyed by this. I find that I use the philips almost daily and the main reason I don't carry the Octane more is because of this specific design failure. I have never come across a philips screw that this driver fits well, and most don't fit at all. An otherwise great tool, IMO.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Dem

Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 07:58:13 PM
If I could only pick one pet peeve it'd always be a lack of scissors, but I'll list my main three:

1) A lack of scissors. Scissors are so darned handy. I wish Leatherman would stop screwing around and at least offer variants of the super tool with them.
2) Bad/over-polished Phillips drivers. The Phillips head isn't rocket science. I find I can usually correct them (even really terrible cheap Chinese MT ones) with some work with a file, but I don't see why I should have to.
3) Bit drivers. Mostly from Leatherman (I rather like the Cybertool driver.) Half the time they make the screwdriver useless on a job. Changing a doorknob? Probably not with a Leatherman (new) Wave. I'm Canadian and love the Robertson design, but I'd still pass on a bit driver given the choice.

#1 and #3 had basically stopped me from getting Leatherman MTs, though I'm happy to say that I finally decided to say 'to hell with it' and spend the money replacing a Pulse (that I'd had as my first MT over a decade ago, broke severely, and junked not knowing that they had good warranties.)

They should start making the Pulse again. Such a great little tool.

Dem

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:27 PM
Think this has already been said,but if everyone would use standard quarter inch bits instead of coming up with funky off sizes. Buggered up the Balance comprehensively!

1/4" are good but take up lots of room, 4mm are good but you can't put as much torque through them, the LM bits are good because you can at least buy more (though only in huge sets usually).
Weird sizes are just weird. Like that Octane: wtf? Glad you posted about that!  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%