Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your multitool pet peeve?

3rdpig · 57 · 6194

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: What's your multitool pet peeve?
Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:53 PM
Think this has already been said,but if everyone would use standard quarter inch bits instead of coming up with funky off sizes. Buggered up the Balance comprehensively!

1/4" are good but take up lots of room, 4mm are good but you can't put as much torque through them, the LM bits are good because you can at least buy more (though only in huge sets usually).
Weird sizes are just weird. Like that Octane: wtf? Glad you posted about that!  :salute:

Tom,you're quite right about a quarter inch driver taking up a lot of space,but it would be able to replace all the other drivers,except maybe one large flat driver(good for prying),as well as covering hex,torx and even Robertson bits :tu:

Imagine a Balance with either a quarter inch,or a 4mm bit driver. Would it really have been that difficult Gerber :twak:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:05:12 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:48 PM
one that bugs me is specific to Leatherman tools with outside blades. (wave, charge, Surge)

I have a Charge AL, a Charge TTi, and a Surge,  I had  a wave, but passed it on to someone who needed one.

I hate when I try to close the tool after having the pliers out and the pliers bind against either a tool, or the little guide.  you can for it, but you shouldn't.  I can get it back by making sure it pivots in certain places before others, but I should not have to do this.  the Charge AL, does not do this, it works great.  all of the others do it about half of the time

Yeah, that AL is smooth as butter :D  My TTi has that issue sometimes though.  I think that would be one of me MT pet peeves-the QC isn't always the greatest.  I also agree with the Vics drivers (particularly the flatheads) being a bit too slippery when in use.  But I can't argue with the beauty of that polished look ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:07 AM
And with my hundredth post...

I echo what has been said so many times before - fish scaler -whisky, tango, foxtrot?????????????????

Why, why, why... some many other tools available and you pick the least used POS tool to add to your knock off.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

Offline wellgate

Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:34 AM
The scissor / plier dilemma. Never having the correct tool when needed. The Skeletool is the coolest tool on the market, along with its little brother Style CS. I need to carry both or my Wave to avoid frustration...

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:50 AM

I echo what has been said so many times before - fish scaler -whisky, tango, foxtrot? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?

Why, why, why... some many other tools available and you pick the least used POS tool to add to your knock off.

Well, that's simple. Same reason manufacturers like flathead screwdrivers so much, they're easy to make :D No (or barely any) sharpening needed, and very easy to design.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Offline wellgate

Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 12:19:18 AM
Separate bit sets seem to defeat the object of the multitool IMO, unless you have your tool dedicated to maintaining a specific machine and you carry just those bits...

Offline wellgate

Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 12:23:21 AM
The crap quality of the tools within the Juice CS4 : with the notable exception of the long scissors. It is a well-pitched product with colour appeal to casual backpackers, and glampers :who would eat only fresh food not from tins, and whose wine would be from stoppered bottles....

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 12:42:52 AM
My pet peeves are tools that bite, or ones that really try hard to break your nails when trying to access a tool.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 12:45:09 AM

I echo what has been said so many times before - fish scaler -whisky, tango, foxtrot?????????????????

Why?

To nark off Lynn laFey!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 05:03:16 AM
Hands down it's a crappy Philips head. Those 2-d ones.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 05:09:07 AM

Why?

To nark off Lynn laFey!

:tu:  :rofl:

Also... FULL POINT for using 'nark' in a way I'd never heard before.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 06:06:58 AM
While I really like my Swisstool I don`t have the talons of an eagle and find it nail-breakingly
 impossible to open the shorter tools and so have to keep a small coin handy to catch those
 deep nail-nicks and overcome the strong backsprings. Perhaps I should carry a smaller MT so
that I can open my big one :D

Well, you could always get an A.G. Russell Steel Thumbnail.

I have to admit that would pretty much ruin the tool for me, though.  Refer to my pet peeve earlier in this thread about taking more than one step to access a tool.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 06:48:32 PM
My number one peeve is probably that the Juice S2 does not close if you don't do the correct side first, as the plier binds on the drivers.

I also think it should be against law not to provide a real 3D phillips with long shank whenever possible.  I know you can't squeeze one in on a Classic SD, but the Wave, Charger, Surge, etc. should all have them.  Those little, stubby 2D phillips drivers burn me.  :)

Other than that, I am well know for having a sweet spirit and am not a complainer.  So no other peeves.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 05:07:26 AM
My biggest peeve is fluff tools and spacers.  The Fuse and Kick for example.  If you have room for a spacer, you had room for an additional tool.  Raise the price if you need to, but don't build an incomplete tool.  That said, use your brains when you fill the space, another flat blade screwdriver is out of the question.   A CHISEL WOULD BE NICE!!! Or maybe an awl...  Yes, the rebar addressed the awl issue, but they sacrificed blade thickness, which is a no go for me.  That's another pet peeve, underthought tools. 

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 03:10:59 AM
Screwdrivers that are too sharp. Nailfiles that are labelled as files- if it says file, I want an aggressive wood and metal file.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 03:21:59 AM
Nailfiles that are labelled as files- if it says file, I want an aggressive wood and metal file.

I agree it is nicer to have a metal file than just a nail file, as the metal file works fine on nails, but the reverse not so much.  However, my observation has been that a manufacturer who puts the extra $$ into a MT for a metal file is anxious to advertise the fact, and will generally label the tool as a "metal file", "wood/metal file", or similar.  Any tool description that simply states "file" is likely mean the more basic and less expensive nail file.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 04:22:54 AM
An example of one of my pet peeves.  Today at work my boss asked me to lend him my Leatherman.  I told him I didn't have one on me.  When he asked what was on my hip then, I informed him that I was carrying a Gerber, not a Leatherman.  >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:33 PM
As for all plier-based MTs being referred to as Leatherman...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

You'll make me cry, and I'll blow my nose with Kleenex, then maybe eat a bowl of Jello, and clean out my ears with Q-Tips. It happens. I might go as far to say that only people on this site, or people LIKE them care that someone's 'Leatherman' is actually a SOG, Gerber, whatever.

I think we all know that fish scalers are my big hated enemy in the MT world. I can't remember if I've posted to this thread on the subject, and I'm too lazy to look.
 :facepalm:

EDIT: Ah... yes. Went back and looked. Yup. Fish Scalers. FISH SCALERS!!! :poh: :viking:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:21:20 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 11:23:21 PM
I just thought of another one. I don't like knives that are shorter than the space they occupy. The Skeletool and Wingman/Sidekick have a knife that could be significantly lengthened for the size of the channel it sits in. I just got a Style CS and it suffers from the same issue - actually, the channel is like twice as wide as the knife, and a quarter inch longer. Give us a bigger blade! Or shorten the rest of the tool making it more compact and lighter.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 11:27:40 PM
I believe the short blade on the CS is because it's a slight mod on the Squirt PS4 blade. I understand the frustration, though.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 12:49:06 AM
As for all plier-based MTs being referred to as Leatherman...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

You'll make me cry, and I'll blow my nose with Kleenex, then maybe eat a bowl of Jello, and clean out my ears with Q-Tips. It happens. I might go as far to say that only people on this site, or people LIKE them care that someone's 'Leatherman' is actually a SOG, Gerber, whatever.

I think we all know that fish scalers are my big hated enemy in the MT world. I can't remember if I've posted to this thread on the subject, and I'm too lazy to look.

EDIT: Ah... yes. Went back and looked. Yup. Fish Scalers. FISH SCALERS!!! :poh: :viking:

Don't forget combo-edged blades  :pok:  ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 10:55:38 PM
Cast pliers , the inability of most to take 1/4" hex bits directly .

Chris

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:36 AM
When someone opens (or tries to open) a package with their teeth, then looks at you like you are the savage when you pull out a knife...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 06:09:33 PM
When someone opens (or tries to open) a package with their teeth, then looks at you like you are the savage when you pull out a knife...

Extra terrible when the 'knife' you pull out is a 58mm SAK or blade on a Leatherman keychain sized tool.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 06:18:40 PM
... and if it was "pocket tool peeves" and not "multitool peeves", I'd also be adding the utterly ridiculous operating system on Zebralight torches

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The UI on Zebralights is notably one of the best in the business. To be able to get to the three main brightness levels from off is very useful, and the sub-lumen lows are extremely useful. The programming on that UI is brilliant as well.

A peeve of mine is also the Philips driver. Vic's driver is great, I love the shape. I haven't had much experience with it slipping myself, but I can see how it could. The LM Charge's driver is good, but not amazing. I actually miss the Philips that was on the Blast.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 06:29:55 PM
... and if it was "pocket tool peeves" and not "multitool peeves", I'd also be adding the utterly ridiculous operating system on Zebralight torches

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The UI on Zebralights is notably one of the best in the business. To be able to get to the three main brightness levels from off is very useful, and the sub-lumen lows are extremely useful. The programming on that UI is brilliant as well.

:D :D :D

I'm not alone in my appraisal .... and neither are you  ;)

It's something which people either really love or really hate, and has been the subject of playful banter a few times on here  :D Do a forum search for "zebralight learning curve" and you'll see why I'm not a fan  ;)

Although I do like Victorinox's Phillips drivers, so we don't disagree completely  :P :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:06 PM
:D Solidarity of a sort, eh?
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%