Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Becker knife creator EDC's a SAK!

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Becker knife creator EDC's a SAK!
on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:32 PM
Found an interview with Ethan Becker (yes, of the knife Becker) and he EDC's a SAK. :tool: A Rucksack to be specific. Made me smile when I thought "the guy could make or buy any knife he wants, and he carries a SAK, just like I do...". He even admits to batoning wood with it, something I've never considered doing with a SAK.

Enjoy!
Dave

NEW! Ka-bar Becker BK7 and BK11 Neck Knife - Interview with Designer Ethan Becker
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Becker knife creator EDC's a SAK!
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:37:14 PM
Well you can't knock the guys taste. :D  I've also done some light battoning with the Rucksack's near cousin; the Forrester, also with a Wenger SI if I remember correctly.  As long as you're being careful not to put any pressure on the pivot, nor are trying to split a redwood in half, I don't see the issue. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:58 AM
Found an interview with Ethan Becker (yes, of the knife Becker) and he EDC's a SAK. :tool: A Rucksack to be specific. Made me smile when I thought "the guy could make or buy any knife he wants, and he carries a SAK, just like I do...". He even admits to batoning wood with it, something I've never considered doing with a SAK.

I think I'd rather baton with my BK-2, BK-7 or BK-9
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:34:29 AM
On a relevant note, the general consensus (at BF...) is that if you are going to baton with a folding knife then make sure that it is not in the locked position, that is, the handle and the knife are not inline, so as not to put stress on the lock mechanism when hitting the blade.

I do not think that will work too well with a slipjoint or a slipjoint with a lock, like the SAKs, as they will try to open or close on their  own, because of the backspring.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:39:23 AM
On a relevant note, the general consensus (at BF...) is that if you are going to baton with a folding knife then make sure that it is not in the locked position, that is, the handle and the knife are not inline, so as not to put stress on the lock mechanism when hitting the blade.

I do not think that will work too well with a slipjoint or a slipjoint with a lock, like the SAKs, as they will try to open or close on their  own, because of the backspring.

Or rather, it is not a problem for slipjoints with no lock, since there is no locking mechanism to stress. I've seen people here do light batoning with SAKs. Perhaps it could work in the half-stop position of the 111 mm linerlocks, but it sounds like extermely clumsy work.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:48:13 AM

Or rather, it is not a problem for slipjoints with no lock, since there is no locking mechanism to stress. I've seen people here do light batoning with SAKs. Perhaps it could work in the half-stop position of the 111 mm linerlocks, but it sounds like extermely clumsy work.

I think the idea is not just so as not to stress the lock but to also protect the pivot pin/ backspring.
I assume if you were to accidentally hit the knife hard at the pivot and make it go down whilst the handle is supported by your hand and the blade by the piece of wood the blade may end up going up, that is going back beyond its stop/lock point thus damaging the backspring and any lock.

I do not think I ever batoned with a folding knife, so I am far from an expert on it, though the Physics behind that whole process are easy to understand.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:09 PM
The best way I have found to baton with a SAK is to use the saw to make a notch, then carve a wedge from another piece of wood, then use the wedge to split the wood.  It puts the least amount of pressure on the pivot.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:20 PM
The best way I have found to baton with a SAK is to use the saw to make a notch, then carve a wedge from another piece of wood, then use the wedge to split the wood.  It puts the least amount of pressure on the pivot.

I fully support the highlighted part !   :D  :D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:31:47 AM
Outdoor guide, knife maker, chef (it is the same Ethan Becker who edited the Joy of Cooking cookbook)- he has every reason to know knives. And all the wannabe HSLD mall ninjas in the multicam and their six hundred dollar knives not only knock the SAK but they also knock Becker for having sold out and having Camillus and then Ka-bar produce his designs.

Hmmm....

Oh, wait, Ka-bar and Victorinox, those are two of the few knife makers I bother to buy things from!
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 02:59:28 AM
knock the SAK but they also knock Becker

It is handy when people knock the SAK, such a quick way to know that they know nothing and are not worth listening to.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%