Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Self Sufficient computer repair and maintenance

detron · 402 · 63464

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Self Sufficient computer repair and maintenance
Reply #270 on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:28 PM

Iirc that may be a hardware acceleration issue?

Thanks Whoey you are the man  :cheers: 

I disabled it in chrome and that fixed it     :salute:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:38:23 PM by SteveC »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #271 on: September 30, 2016, 01:36:08 PM
I'll throw in a question here. The hard drive of my laptop was starting to show problems so I went ahead and changed it for an SSD. I did not move anything over at the time since I wanted a fresh install and I was sure I would be able to use my SATA-USB setup to move the files over at a later time. But unlike other hard drives this doesn't show up when I plug it in. My best guess is that it's either because it's a system drive or because it was partitioned into two parts. Now, I could of course go ahead and stick it back into the laptop and move it from there but I'd rather not if there's any way to get it to show up. Are there any special steps to take to get Windows to show a partitioned external drive?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #272 on: September 30, 2016, 04:31:42 PM
I'll throw in a question here. The hard drive of my laptop was starting to show problems so I went ahead and changed it for an SSD. I did not move anything over at the time since I wanted a fresh install and I was sure I would be able to use my SATA-USB setup to move the files over at a later time. But unlike other hard drives this doesn't show up when I plug it in. My best guess is that it's either because it's a system drive or because it was partitioned into two parts. Now, I could of course go ahead and stick it back into the laptop and move it from there but I'd rather not if there's any way to get it to show up. Are there any special steps to take to get Windows to show a partitioned external drive?

Ok, so the drive shows up in the Disk Manager as a Healthy (GPT Protective Partition) but I get no options to do anything with it (such as changing drive label (in case that's the trouble)). And it shows 16384 GB, strange for a 1TB drive.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #273 on: September 30, 2016, 10:19:14 PM
Ok, since I couldn't find anything relevant to my problem on the internet I just placed the old hard drive back into the laptop. Doing the transfers right now.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #274 on: October 24, 2016, 01:27:17 PM
yeah some of those usb adapters only read the first partition, it's likely there's more than a couple on a windows drive, and usually a restore partition as well. You may well need special partitioning software to access the other partitions from a different windows install.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #275 on: November 02, 2016, 12:20:35 AM
yeah some of those usb adapters only read the first partition, it's likely there's more than a couple on a windows drive, and usually a restore partition as well. You may well need special partitioning software to access the other partitions from a different windows install.

I have the same problem again since my girlfriend's computer died. This time I saw a recommendation to plug it straight into a Sata contact. I'll have to fetch my old stationary PC from storage and try that out.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #276 on: December 13, 2016, 10:38:03 AM
Just a quick thank you  :hatsoff:

Saved my mom a bunch of money, she has a spotless old Acer laptop, Celeron processor.
The Win XP it was running was more of a problem than performance.

Followed advice I saw here, installed a 120Gb SSD and loaded Windows 7, Mon is happy and the performance is frankly amazing.  8)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #277 on: January 21, 2017, 08:07:20 PM
To all the linux guru's!  :)

I am a linux noob and have Fedora 25 installed on a laptop to play with and added the flash so I can watch video's ect but while on Facebook it won't play the embedded video's.  It just say an error has occured.

Is there a seperate program I need to add to view these or is the flash not working right even though it shows it is enabled within Firefox.

Thx in advance for any and all help! 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #278 on: January 22, 2017, 12:18:30 PM
I stopped using Firefox a long while back, and actually disabled flash on my Chrome install. I have no trouble playing videos on Facebook or anywhere else for that matter (most now default to html5 players if flash is not detected.)

I have no experience on Fedora, so maybe Detron or someone else who is used to it should chime in.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #279 on: January 22, 2017, 06:08:01 PM

I am a linux noob and have Fedora 25 installed on a laptop to play with and added the flash so I can watch video's ect but while on Facebook it won't play the embedded video's.  It just say an error has occured.

Is there a seperate program I need to add to view these or is the flash not working right even though it shows it is enabled within Firefox.

start with this link

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/music-video-files-dont-play-linux-fix/

let me know if this fixes it, and if not I will see if I can help
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #280 on: January 22, 2017, 06:36:43 PM
I stopped using Firefox a long while back, and actually disabled flash on my Chrome install. I have no trouble playing videos on Facebook or anywhere else for that matter (most now default to html5 players if flash is not detected.)

I have no experience on Fedora, so maybe Detron or someone else who is used to it should chime in.

I prefer Chrome too but have the same issues with it and it wouldn't even work for Youtube video's let alone Facebook ones.  I found a flash deal for Firefox so went with that.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #281 on: January 22, 2017, 06:39:46 PM

start with this link

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/music-video-files-dont-play-linux-fix/

let me know if this fixes it, and if not I will see if I can help

I did follow the link but still get the error when I click on a video that says "something went wrong, sorry we having trouble playing this video".

Thx for the help!  Much appreciated and feel free to use PM or email at "mjp2k AT hotmail DOT com" if you prefer.    :salute:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #282 on: January 22, 2017, 07:04:48 PM
Is it perhaps the disable "hardware acceleration" issue in flash? IIRC there was something along those lines that I experienced in the past...

Also I believe there's a flash replacement called pepper flash for Chrome which worked for me in the past.

us Offline detron

Reply #283 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:17 PM
I have never been a user of Fedora (or anything Red Hat based)  but I will say that Linux Mint seems to fix many of these issues without any user tweaking.

us Offline detron

Reply #284 on: January 22, 2017, 07:11:45 PM
I see a similar issue for a Chromebook user just a week ago

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/FbTSAHDEL9o

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #285 on: January 22, 2017, 07:20:23 PM
Is it perhaps the disable "hardware acceleration" issue in flash? IIRC there was something along those lines that I experienced in the past...

Also I believe there's a flash replacement called pepper flash for Chrome which worked for me in the past.

I have heard of that program but could seen to find it for Fedora.  Being a noob, I am sure it was me and my searching!   :)

I have never been a user of Fedora (or anything Red Hat based)  but I will say that Linux Mint seems to fix many of these issues without any user tweaking.

I am not stuck on Fedora and played with Mint and Ubuntu via live cd's or install to usb drive so I should have mentioned I am not above wiping this laptop out and putting on Mint.  :)  I guess the search is on for the distro with least issue for a noob to deal with!  LOL

Which version of Mint (Cinnamin, Mate, etc) do you use and which one is better?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:23:27 PM by sir_mike »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #286 on: January 22, 2017, 07:33:41 PM
I was intending to replace my old Ubuntu with Mint (Ubuntu) and someone mentioned Xubuntu to me, it comes preloaded with most of the apps I was already using that might not be the default of regular Ubuntu (but are a cinch to get installed off the repositories).

Any ways, I'm on Xubuntu these days. I do have a few alternate preferred apps but it pretty much was what I wanted with Mint and the desktop is more of a work environment than all those flashy touch/tablet wanna be interfaces that seem so popular these days.

http://xubuntu.org/

us Offline detron

Reply #287 on: January 22, 2017, 07:36:24 PM
Mate versus Cinnamon is a personal choice,  but what this short video to see some of the differences

I am torn between both, and you can install both and choose each time you log in.  mate has many features I liked when I first started using linux that were found in Gnome 2.  Gnome 3 went in a different direction, and I hated it.

cinnamon is a great desktop, and has come a long way in the past few years, you will not be disappointed IMO.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #288 on: January 22, 2017, 07:37:35 PM

I have heard of that program but could seen to find it for Fedora.  Being a noob, I am sure it was me and my searching!   :)
Disable hardware acceleration is done on flash itself, just visit a video that is or isn't working, right click for the flash menu and uncheck the box IIRC.

Pepper flash is Chrome/Opera only IIRC, so it won't help on Firefox. I recall Flash being a major PITA to get right whereas pepperflash seemed to work immediately without me faffing around with configs or anything else.

Also worth noting that Ubuntu (and based distros) are considered to be more for linux beginners.

us Offline detron

Reply #289 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:15 PM
I also use xubuntu on two laptops, and it is a wonderful distro.  my older laptops run great with xubuntu, and seem rather quick considering their age.

us Offline detron

Reply #290 on: January 22, 2017, 07:39:51 PM

Disable hardware acceleration is done on flash itself, just visit a video that is or isn't working, right click for the flash menu and uncheck the box IIRC.

Pepper flash is Chrome/Opera only IIRC, so it won't help on Firefox. I recall Flash being a major PITA to get right whereas pepperflash seemed to work immediately without me faffing around with configs or anything else.

Also worth noting that Ubuntu (and based distros) are considered to be more for linux beginners.

very true statement.  and yet they can still be supportive of advanced users. 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #291 on: January 22, 2017, 07:41:19 PM
I am torn between both, and you can install both and choose each time you log in.  mate has many features I liked when I first started using linux that were found in Gnome 2.  Gnome 3 went in a different direction, and I hated it.
This, no matter what you can always have multiple setups on your system if you're still trying to figure out which is for you... then later perhaps you downsize to just the essentials you need.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #292 on: January 22, 2017, 08:01:26 PM
I think the version of Mint I have downloaded is Cinnamon so I will probably just try that one or the current Ubuntu.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #293 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:55 PM
If you install mint then you can setup any of the other Ubuntu desktops since it all works off that same base.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #294 on: January 22, 2017, 09:30:39 PM
If you install mint then you can setup any of the other Ubuntu desktops since it all works off that same base.

Not sure how to do that!  :)

us Offline detron

Reply #295 on: January 22, 2017, 09:45:39 PM

http://goinglinux.com/articles/Installing%20MATE%20alongside%20Cinnamon_en.htm

this should help.  it is real simple

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #296 on: January 22, 2017, 10:23:17 PM

http://goinglinux.com/articles/Installing%20MATE%20alongside%20Cinnamon_en.htm

this should help.  it is real simple

Thanks for the link.  I will check it out.  I am on Mint Cinnamon now.  Did the install a bit ago and I can play vid's in Facebook so woohoo!!!

us Offline detron

Reply #297 on: January 22, 2017, 10:35:31 PM
if Cinnamon works for you, then you may not even need to mess with MATE, it is really more of a legacy desktop.

Cinnamon is rather polished at this point in time.   I use it far more than Mate

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #298 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:59 PM
if Cinnamon works for you, then you may not even need to mess with MATE, it is really more of a legacy desktop.

Cinnamon is rather polished at this point in time.   I use it far more than Mate

So far it seems to be working for me but I really don't have much care on which desktop I use as long as it works with the least amount of issues!  :)

us Offline detron

Reply #299 on: January 22, 2017, 11:47:59 PM
then I would say stick with it.  most people who use Mate use it because it is so similar to Gnome 2. 
you did not use Gnome 2, so I would not worry about it

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69