Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Self Sufficient computer repair and maintenance

detron · 402 · 62145

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Self Sufficient computer repair and maintenance
Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 03:39:28 PM
Aleph,  that is fine with me.  this thread is to help MT.O members,  the help can come from anywhere
If I can help, let me know 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 06:11:24 PM
Btw, detron old boy, you're awfully close of having no life... ;)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline detron

Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 08:12:44 PM
Btw, detron old boy, you're awfully close of having no life... ;)

I know!  super excited about that!  In real life I am already there, but here at MT.O, I am closing in

us Offline detron

Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 08:43:14 PM
Need a hardware Identification Cheatsheet?

There is a lot of different types of RAM, CPUs, types of slots, and connectors, and it isnice to have help with that.

this poster is on my keychain USB drive that is on my car keys.

There is a high resolution version on my Google Share  that you can download.  makes it easier when counting pins

https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/0B96d3YZxO2vrSkZNa1NTYkR5QWs

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 09:17:28 PM
Ok thats cool :tu:

Hereby I declare, If any of you have any trouble with your computer, ask detron or me and we will fix it for you :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:22:44 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:47 PM
I figured this would be the perfect place for this little aside. The other week, I was visiting a friend when her mother told me her computer would not turn on. I asked if she didn't mind if I could look at it. She responded with a by all means. I take a good once over with the computer and press the power button...nothing. I retrace the power lines to see if there is power going to the computer...yes there is. I then pull the computer out of its cubby hole and look inside to verify if there are any little idiot lights on...nothing. I then plug the power cord into a different power bar...nothing. This was a windowed case so I could tell everything appears to be connected properly inside. I decide to unplug the unit completely, switch the power adaptor switch from 110 to 220 and back again. I know sometimes, these get borderline moved so that the power supply is on 220 which means the unit doesn't work. I thought that might be the case. I was smart though, I made sure I wasn't anywhere near the supply when I turned the power on (I had a feeling). A huge flame, plenty of sparks, and lots of electronic smoke was created instantly and for a short duration. Everyone comes running in asking me if I am all right.. I was good to go...but not the computer.  :ahhh

End of the story, although there was a short in the unit, and all I did was hasten its demise...and did it in a safe enough manner that non of my friends got hurt, I still felt partially responsible. I bought a new power supply and installed it. Lucky for everyone, nothing else got smoked with that power supply. Computer back and running. :D

Wow...did that supply ever snap, crackle, and pop!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 02:57:50 PM
Computers are powered by magic blue smoke. Once you let the magic blue smoke out, they don't work anymore.

It's good that you were able to get a new magic blue smoke unit....

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 03:48:40 PM
Computers are powered by magic blue smoke. Once you let the magic blue smoke out, they don't work anymore.

It's good that you were able to get a new magic blue smoke unit....

Def

I have a similar saying from when I worked on weapon systems and radars for the Navy. Electronics run on smoke,  one you let the smoke it,  well that is it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline detron

Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 03:57:04 PM
Chako,  that was mighty nice of you to replace the PSU.  I actually have a power supply tester that I bought for $12.  And I have several multimeters. 

My biggest issue is when I clean malware from a computer,  2 months latter the owner goes, the is still malware on here.   I go through the logs and see they were the cause of the New malware,  but by this time I have invested so much time.

I do malware cleanings for $35 - $50.  That is dirt cheap,  I am talking full backup first,  as a means of ensuring no loss of data.   So yeah  people do not understand

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 04:22:32 PM
Yes, I also have a power supply tester as well...but didn't have my repair kit with me. Hmmmm, me thinks I could take photos of my kit and post in a new thread. I am sure that people like to see kit photos posted on this forum.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 05:48:11 PM
There's a lot of good info here so I am going to make it a sticky.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 06:25:37 PM
There's a lot of good info here so I am going to make it a sticky.

Def

That is like getting a mt.o oscar!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 07:08:02 PM
Does this mean you are going to dress up and make a speech?  :D

Def

us Offline detron

Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:15 PM
Does this mean you are going to dress up and make a speech?  :D

Def

Probably not, but I have had to give a few speeches in front of Admirals and the like!

if I did, I would be rocking my  new acquisitions

us Offline detron

Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:41 PM
Want to Play or learn computer Forensics without incurring a cost?

Understand, be careful, you can loose data if you do things wrong.
However by default no Hard drives are mounted, since mounting changes access dates. 
this is best used on an old computer while learning, or just hold this until you suddenly have to resort to drastic measures to try to salvage files you need.

Quick test to see if you should continue:

you should be able to answer at least 2 of these questions to consider yourself ready to attempt this one.

1.  how many layers in the OSI model?
2.  how many host in a /24 subnet?
3.  what does
Code: [Select]
man grep do?
4.  What does MFT stand for?
5.  what does pwd mean in Linux?
6.  What does "Windows Key" + r  do?
7.  what is a molex connector?

OK,  for those that past.

I firmly believe in trying to teach yourself when possible!

http://www.deftlinux.net/  this is a super amazing distro!  boot to it to access drives and work from a specialized Linux environment, or put it in with Windows running to access a whole portable toolkit with several features that can help see what is happening under the hood in Windows.

http://www.caine-live.net/ basically the same features as Deft made by a different group of people.    also very nice!  I have not tried the new version, but the older version had a manual on the desktop if you booted to it.

http://www.kali.org/  This Distro was formerly know as Backtrack, and has several forensics tools, along with a cornucopia of tools for password "recovery", wireless "testing", Penetration testing, and information gathering.  this is my favorite recovery Distro if I had to pick just one, because it is so robust.  however the other two are great and a little more focused on forensics.

us Offline detron

Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 01:42:27 AM
The minimalistic SAK of  repair/maintenance

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php 

Parted Magic is a must have  (get it before your PC breaks, file it away)

this is a bootable Linux based distro, but anyone can use it, you do not have to know linux.

this distro can read windows drives, scan for viruses, resize partitions, and several other things, but can also browse the internet with Firefox.

This distro does not use your hard drive, so even if it is dead, or missing, this will boot up and work!

If you windows is stuck blue-screening, boot to this and copy your important files over to a flash drive or external hard drive before trying to fix windows.

Even though Windows these days can resize a partition without loosing data, Windows does not like to move certain files, and sometime this means that 500Gig drive you wanted to be Windows 80Gig, and 420 Gig as non Windows storage, the best you are able to do is 240 for Windows  :bnghd:
well boot up Parted Magic and do it there.

Think you have a virus, already ran the other tool I listed? ( http://blogs.technet.com/...ows-defender-offline.aspx)  boot Parted magic up and launch Clam Antivirus, it can even download updates from the internet.

Here are some screenshots, they actually speak for themselves.
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=screenshots

If you computer hard drive or Windows dies and you cannot use your computer to go online and reseach a fix, or order parts,  once again, boot this up and use firefox.

there are more features, but you get the idea.

this is an open source Linux Distribution, that is updated quite regularly.

This software is no longer free as of a couple of days ago.  however if you need it, let me know and I can put the last free one up on a share for you.  I will be buying the new one, because it is amazing, and only $5.  I believe the change in price is due to the key allowing this to boot on Windows Secure boot.

us Offline detron

Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 06:35:13 AM
As a Linux lover most people expect me to put down Microsoft

Well, with a title like
"Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'"
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2050508/former-microsoft-privacy-adviser-i-dont-trust-microsoft-now.html
you make your own opinions.  however this is kind of like the "mad rambling of those Linux nuts"   becoming the norm. 

scotland Offline xt60043f

Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 09:54:10 AM

this is a bootable Linux based distro, but anyone can use it, you do not have to know linux.

this distro can read windows drives, scan for viruses, resize partitions, and several other things, but can also browse the internet with Firefox.

This distro does not use your hard drive, so even if it is dead, or missing, this will boot up and work!

If you windows is stuck blue-screening, boot to this and copy your important files over to a flash drive or external hard drive before trying to fix windows.

Even though Windows these days can resize a partition without loosing data, Windows does not like to move certain files, and sometime this means that 500Gig drive you wanted to be Windows 80Gig, and 420 Gig as non Windows storage, the best you are able to do is 240 for Windows  :bnghd:

Think you have a virus, already ran the other tool I listed? ( http://blogs.technet.com/...ows-defender-offline.aspx)  boot Parted magic up and launch Clam Antivirus, it can even download updates from the internet.

If you computer hard drive or Windows dies and you cannot use your computer to go online and reseach a fix, or order parts,  once again, boot this up and use firefox.

This software is no longer free as of a couple of days ago.  however if you need it, let me know and I can put the last free one up on a share for you.  I will be buying the new one, because it is amazing, and only $5.  I believe the change in price is due to the key allowing this to boot on Windows Secure boot.

A good alternative is gparted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 11:21:44 AM
I've only just spotted this thread, and don't want to be a "Me too!", but I'm happy to offer any advice from a Mac perspective. I'm a Apple Certified Support Professional, the second highest Apple Support certification available (I'm sitting the ACTC top level exam in 2 months) and have been working with Mac systems from Home to Enterprise level for nearly 14 years.

Other than that I'm pretty good with networking. Def can attest to that  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:27:38 AM by mvyrmnd »
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 12:02:22 PM
I thought nothing ever went wrong with Macs?  Or are you the computer version of the Maytag repairman?  :D

Seriously it's great to see guys so willing to help others out.

Def

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 12:18:52 PM
I thought nothing ever went wrong with Macs?  Or are you the computer version of the Maytag repairman?  :D

Seriously it's great to see guys so willing to help others out.

Def

Hahah. 99% of Mac issues are PEBKAC ;)

Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:05 PM
I think that goes for all machinery, doesn't it?  :P

Def

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 01:34:20 PM
I have been reading this thead and I have to say its a good one. I just learned that computers don't run or made with voodoo magic.
Still trying to figure out the cellphone thingy. Can't see how they got the phone operator crammed in my phone. That's a tight place to move about, let alone work in there. 

Lots of good info.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 04:48:05 PM

A good alternative is gparted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Parted magic uses gparted,  when I first posted the Parted magic info it was free, and I chose it because it is real easy for beginners,  and included other tools.

I do agree with you while heartedly tough,  and I use gparted all the time.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

us Offline detron

Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:45 PM
I've only just spotted this thread, and don't want to be a "Me too!", but I'm happy to offer any advice from a Mac perspective. I'm a Apple Certified Support Professional, the second highest Apple Support certification available (I'm sitting the ACTC top level exam in 2 months) and have been working with Mac systems from Home to Enterprise level for nearly 14 years.

Other than that I'm pretty good with networking. Def can attest to that  :)

Please do be "me too"  I know nothing about Macs, when I use a Mac I go straight to the bash shell.   I can do what I need from the shell,  and I can open apps via icons,   but I know almost nothing about Macs. Please notice I did not put my name in the title for a reason.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

us Offline detron

Reply #55 on: October 05, 2013, 05:25:31 PM
Not really repair, but it affected a friend of mine, so sharing just in case

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-linux-basemosaic-ubuntu-parity,24519.html

basically Nvidea removed features in their Linux driver because those features were not available in Windows.

us Offline detron

Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 02:36:27 AM
How to Avoid common PC Building Mistakes

not my work,  just a good, new link

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2049100/how-to-avoid-common-pc-building-mistakes.html

us Offline detron

Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 07:38:46 AM
A new warning for Yahoo email users

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/11/following-its-revamp-yahoo-email-forwarding-bug-leaves-users-inboxes-empty/

Yahoo Mail has been experiencing a major bug, following its revamp earlier this week. According to a number of reports, the service has been automatically forwarding emails to users’ “alternate,” external email addresses – a setting that was switched on without users’ permission. Yahoo has replied to some help requests via its Twitter account @YahooCare, but it hasn’t replied to help requests on its UserVoice forum, nor has its Customer Care site offered a solution to this problem.

us Offline detron

Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 07:51:53 AM
Want to quickly find storage bloat?

This link has a tool for Windows, Mac, and Linux

http://www.itworld.com/it-management/378130/how-find-out-whats-taking-space-your-hard-drive

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:16 PM
Hi, Detron.

This is a great, great thread; and just like to step in and thank you for this selfless contribution to help and share many cool wares.

1)  A while ago, I was also look a freeware to monitor a few in-home ip cams, I paid for an apps on my android phone called 'ip cam viewer' which does work wonder(very simple to set up, pretty much just choose the right model, type in the ip address and password, and it will work itself out)

I browsed thru the FAQ for Zoneminder, and it seems like it will work on linux, but anyway this or any recommend wares would work on PC as well?  Anything simple that a layman like me can figure it out?

2) I had been using a 1T backup removable harddisk to backup different data from different sources, and somewhere I probably copied some old, old files that is causing some disk problem--now everytime I plug that into an usb port, the PC kept reminding me:

"Do you want to scan and fix XXX HDD?

There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc.  This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it.

Scan and fix (recommended)
This will prevent future problems when copying files to this device or dics.

Continue without scanning"

However, if I choose "scan and fix", the little program just kept on running for a long time without ever coming up with an solution.  Anything you do recommend to fix possibly broken files/folders in a removable harddisk?

Thank you in advance!  :poh: :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD