Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Z.S.S. repair kit

lister · 29 · 5426

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Z.S.S. repair kit
on: September 27, 2013, 06:15:04 PM
Z.s.s. stands for zip ties, silver tape and safety pins. It is just a way to edc the three most common materials for repair.

I made two different sizes.

I made the bigger one from large bic lighter with both ends sawn off. In this way i got an elliptical tube separated in two compartments with a wall running down the midddle. I wrapped the tube with the silver tape and inserted four zip ties and three safety pins in one compartment. Then I tucked in the remaining lengths of zip ties in the second compartment and wrapped the whole set up in a ruber band made from bicycle tire.

The smaller one is made in a similar fashion. The only difference is that I used a small zip ties and smaller tube. The metal tube comes from a umbrella handle.The down side of this is that the tube does not have two compartments. That makes tucking in the protruding ends of zip ties somewhat harder but it is still possible to do it.

In conjunction with my edc sewing kit this greatly extends my emergency repair options.  ::)

Ps: since I joined this forum my macgyver impulses are getting out of hand.  :rofl:

There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Z.S.S. repair kit
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:17:04 PM
Cool idea!

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:19:44 PM
Nice!, you can call yourself macgyver when you have escaped using a prison camp using your z.s.s. kit  :D

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:32:39 PM
Where did you get that sewing kit from that thing is awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:49:11 PM
very cool idea  :tu:
thanks for sharing

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 03:47:57 AM
I love this kind of threads. :2tu:

I actually just emptied a mini Bic a few hours ago. Might try converting it to something useful too. :salute:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 06:57:05 AM
Cool idea, but you forgot baling wire :D

Over here in Finland, we have a saying of sorts... If you can't fix it with duct tape and baling wire, you're screwed :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:58:48 AM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 01:28:52 PM
Nice!, you can call yourself macgyver when you have escaped using a prison camp using your z.s.s. kit  :D

I'll rather use it to stay out of prison camps...  :D

Where did you get that sewing kit from that thing is awesome.

Read:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9225.msg753331.html#msg753331
and:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9225.msg753347.html#msg753347

Although now it is no longer just a travel edc, but a permanent fixture in my jeans pocket  :ahhh. I also added a second slightly bigger thimble and a shirt button. The second thimble is held in place by small magnet in original sewing kit and a earbud cover placed over the first thimble. The button resides inside second thimble. And here are some pictures:

I love this kind of threads. :2tu:

I actually just emptied a mini Bic a few hours ago. Might try converting it to something useful too. :salute:

Mini bic will be too short for duct tape, you could try an empty cricket lighter for a smaller package. Of course if you intend to invent something new don't forget to share!  :D I really think we need MYOG section in MTO think tank subforum (acronyms, acronyms everywhere  :D).

Cool idea, but you forgot baling wire :D

Over here in Finland, we have a saying of sorts... If you can't fix it with duct tape and baling wire, you're screwed :rofl:

I didn't forget wire I have it in my sewing kit. But I admit that for now I was unable to find an elegant solution to adding it to this z.s.s. kit...  :(

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 01:44:46 PM
The configuration reminds me a bit of the Saami sawing kit
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 01:52:01 PM
The configuration reminds me a bit of the Saami sawing kit

Now how did i miss this one? A really nice concept for a sewing kit, although my does have more stuff in it... More is better right? :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:00:50 PM
Not always, although in this case it is better
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:11:02 PM
Ps: since I joined this forum my macgyver impulses are getting out of hand.  :rofl:

Here's a support group for that:

http://www.macgyveronline.com/forums/

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 11:41:03 PM

Nice necroposting, this topic has some really cool stuff going on in it, good find!  :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:56:03 PM
It might have been this topic that inspired me or some other with similar sewing kits but I made my own from a cheap aluminium capsule, a thimble and a pair of bobbins for a sewing machine. I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out and I haven't added any thread yet but I really like the idea and the form factor compared to other sewing kits.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:29 AM

Nice necroposting, this topic has some really cool stuff going on in it, good find!  :like:

It's only a old topic if you were around when it started.  Speaking of necropsying it that MacGyver forum is a little sleepy, but you may be the person who is are going to change that.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:54:26 AM

It's only a old topic if you were around when it started.  Speaking of necropsying it that MacGyver forum is a little sleepy, but you may be the person who is are going to change that.

Exactly, posting rules are rather lax around here and that makes the place extra friendly I believe.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:40 AM

Exactly, posting rules are rather lax around here and that makes the place extra friendly I believe.

Rules?   :think:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 12:24:05 PM

Just so. There's the ones about not getting political and not spamming advertisements but other than that it just seems to be: be sensible.
Other forums require their users to stay on topic and have rules regarding crossposting, multiposting and will remove your topic of it is in the wrong subforum and it limits the discussions.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 12:41:42 PM

Just so. There's the ones about not getting political and not spamming advertisements but other than that it just seems to be: be sensible.
Other forums require their users to stay on topic and have rules regarding crossposting, multiposting and will remove your topic of it is in the wrong subforum and it limits the discussions.
Around here we love it when a topic becomes a train wreck.

:facepalm:

Witness, the infamous orange fuse thread,
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54980.0.html :facepalm:
Or the Awl club:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68546.0.html
:facepalm:
Or, especially, this one, 3,333 posts in 48 hours.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73119.0.html ( Cries with pride)
Or many other threads....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:43:44 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 01:22:20 PM
Derailing threads is kind of our thing isn't it?  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:28 PM
Now, about them Persimmons...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:26 PM

I know there are rules.  Rather than learn every single one, I just use common sense and chose to behave as a guest, knowing my behavior will affect the length of my stay and whether or not I will be invited back.  I discuss politics else where, besides the closest these forums might come to politics are laws regarding carrying of weapons and that topic doesn't interest me.  As to advertisements, I can't abide the bulk of advertising and it's not my job, so no advertising.  My opinions and advice come no charge.
So just to stay on topic, how often do you use your fix it kit?  I haven't used mine in a while.  I am considering leaving it in my overnight bag in my vehicle.   Of the Z.S.S. my kit only has safety pins.  I haven't added the other two yet.  There has always been duct tape and zip ties close at hand, so far.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:47 PM
How often? Well a piece of duct tape is often useful. So are ranger bands I added later on. You can see the newer version with added wire and ranger bands here:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55594.msg1072068.html#msg1072068

I used the zip ties a few times and the safety pin once.

I had two major use cases. One being this one:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55006.msg960257.html#msg960257

The second one was when my boss parked her car and smashed the back window. I used duct tape and some stretch wrap to fix that to a point where the car stayed dry while driving for 80 km through quite heavy rain. But I am holding on to a report with pictures on that one for when we get Macgyver badge as the My macgyver moment thread is to old to be considered for awarding a badge to me...  :ahhh

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:25 AM
It might have been this topic that inspired me or some other with similar sewing kits but I made my own from a cheap aluminium capsule, a thimble and a pair of bobbins for a sewing machine. I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out and I haven't added any thread yet but I really like the idea and the form factor compared to other sewing kits.

(Image removed from quote.)
Another options for capsule kits is PVC pipe.  From 1/8" to 12" in diameter and as long as you chose, the possibilities boggle the imagination.  Wrap the outsides with all manner of things: duct tape, wire, bank line, para-cord, rubber bands, hose clamps, rubber gasket material.   

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 01:29:55 AM

Where we are, we don't need those kinds of rules. This is MTO.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 11:22:16 AM
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Oh, wait it's not...

Never mind I'll see myself out.

:D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:51 PM
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Oh, wait it's not...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 02:57:26 AM

If you're leaving, I call dibs on your sewing kit!
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:41 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31