Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

End of year GAW

us Online AzteCypher

Re: End of year GAW
Reply #60 on: January 11, 2024, 06:04:09 PM
 :like:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #61 on: January 11, 2024, 11:24:58 PM
I'm really glad to have won of course, but even more because it is the first SAK I've ever had in hand that has :
• over 2 layers
• pliers, a pen, an inline Phillips, full size file, needle, magnifying glass, scraper, fish scale or eyeglass SD. Seriously, that thing is heavy with (new for me) tools !
This is more than just another SAK: It's my real first serious incursion in SAKland. Up until now, my only SAK was a 84mm Tinker Small.

Seems like this SC went to exactly the right person

Great to see so much excitement over the GAW prize .... and to find someone with only two layer SAKs  -  so far .....  :o

The SC really is a fantastic tool - You just can't go wrong and it should cover all your needs

Looking forwards to hearing more about how you get on with it especially compared to your PST2
Of course the obvious downside of the SC is the smaller pliers - So if you need big pliers every day in your EDC - It does not work
If not ..... It's a champion ....... Hmmm     :think:   ....... Maybe better say a real winner !

I feel a few more SAKs coming on for you - My faves are the four layer SAKs eg Hunstman, Explorer - Just to reduce pocket weight - I am an office worker  .
But if the SC is not an issue there - Go for it

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #62 on: January 12, 2024, 03:16:22 PM
Yeah, I've had other SAKs in hand of course, not mine, but always liked my Small.
The main difference for me is the size of the SC ! I'll tell you guys after carrying it for a month.

Reply #63 on: February 14, 2024, 10:39:52 PM
OK, carried the SC for a month now, and here are a few thoughts :
• It sure is a toolbox, but boy that thing is massive ! In the pocket it is very noticeable, so I can only carry it on the belt. This makes it hard to wear at work, even if not very threatening-looking. As long as the belt is under a sweater or such, it's OK at least in some places.
• Again, I say : inline Philips SD ! I can't see why the other type exists ! By far one of the four most used and loved implements.
•  I thought I'd really miss the Leatherman pliers, and I did start out several times reach out for them before remembering my personal challenge. However, in a pinch the victorinox smallish yet quality pliers did the job. When hiking or out in the wild, though, I'd feel better with full-size pliers to be honest.
• The fish scaler continues to baffle me, as I do not fish. For some reason, I'd like to know what you guys do with it if not for it's intended purpose. The best I came up with, in my usage, was as a type of fork for my fries or on the road meal. :whistle:
• Those scissors !!!!!!! 'nough said.
• Even though I'm happy to have them, the tools on the spring side were not used much, if any really. It might happen, so I'll be sure to let you know if it does. Except for the needle. Having one is now mandatory for me. =)
• OK, I admit. I used the magnifying glass at least twice. That means i'm getting older, I guess. It's good to have around, never carried one before and would now make sure to have one handy.

All in all, is it going to beat my PST2 in my rotation ? Probably not. It's not as easy to carry, fatter and thicker. The PST fits in my wallet and the Champ would never. However, it has too many tools the PST doesn't, so I don't want to go without it. My current solution, I think, will be to carry the Champ in my backpack, never far, and the Leatherman in my pocket. But that could change I guess.

Again, I would like to thank Antti for the GAW. This was the Vic equivalent of starting the multitool adventure with a flagship TTI. On the one hand, I can't imagine having less tools in a SAK now. On the other hand, I've a newfound appreciation for my old small and simple tinker that fits in any pocket with ease. Of course this has sparked my interest for other models (like the Alox :ahhh), and, even though I'm wary of falling down that hole, the two different models I have both satisfy all my needs and seem to call for more.  :dwts:

It's funny that SAKs that come from a neighboring country always had less appeal than the american made and hard to get Leatherman ; maybe it's just the proverbial greener grass. But I at least now have a newfound respect for the SAKs I (too quickly) passed over.

One last thing. When he saw the SC for the first time, my youngest had stars in his eyes. Let me go check on my backpack to see if it is still there… :D

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #64 on: February 15, 2024, 09:28:21 PM
OK, carried the SC for a month now, and here are a few thoughts :
• It sure is a toolbox, but boy that thing is massive ! In the pocket it is very noticeable, so I can only carry it on the belt. This makes it hard to wear at work, even if not very threatening-looking. As long as the belt is under a sweater or such, it's OK at least in some places.
• Again, I say : inline Philips SD ! I can't see why the other type exists ! By far one of the four most used and loved implements.
•  I thought I'd really miss the Leatherman pliers, and I did start out several times reach out for them before remembering my personal challenge. However, in a pinch the victorinox smallish yet quality pliers did the job. When hiking or out in the wild, though, I'd feel better with full-size pliers to be honest.
• The fish scaler continues to baffle me, as I do not fish. For some reason, I'd like to know what you guys do with it if not for it's intended purpose. The best I came up with, in my usage, was as a type of fork for my fries or on the road meal. :whistle:
• Those scissors !!!!!!! 'nough said.
• Even though I'm happy to have them, the tools on the spring side were not used much, if any really. It might happen, so I'll be sure to let you know if it does. Except for the needle. Having one is now mandatory for me. =)
• OK, I admit. I used the magnifying glass at least twice. That means i'm getting older, I guess. It's good to have around, never carried one before and would now make sure to have one handy.

All in all, is it going to beat my PST2 in my rotation ? Probably not. It's not as easy to carry, fatter and thicker. The PST fits in my wallet and the Champ would never. However, it has too many tools the PST doesn't, so I don't want to go without it. My current solution, I think, will be to carry the Champ in my backpack, never far, and the Leatherman in my pocket. But that could change I guess.

Again, I would like to thank Antti for the GAW. This was the Vic equivalent of starting the multitool adventure with a flagship TTI. On the one hand, I can't imagine having less tools in a SAK now. On the other hand, I've a newfound appreciation for my old small and simple tinker that fits in any pocket with ease. Of course this has sparked my interest for other models (like the Alox :ahhh), and, even though I'm wary of falling down that hole, the two different models I have both satisfy all my needs and seem to call for more.  :dwts:

It's funny that SAKs that come from a neighboring country always had less appeal than the american made and hard to get Leatherman ; maybe it's just the proverbial greener grass. But I at least now have a newfound respect for the SAKs I (too quickly) passed over.

One last thing. When he saw the SC for the first time, my youngest had stars in his eyes. Let me go check on my backpack to see if it is still there… :D
Happy that you have used it and carry it. SwissChamp is one of those tools what have all basic tools and few extras.
Its very capable tool to have since it could possible replace other tools.

Only Tools Matters

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #65 on: February 16, 2024, 12:15:35 AM
Great review Frenche

This GAW was won by exactly the right person and it's fab to see someone discover the wonderful SC.
Agree with you - It is a bit of a brick - I usually have 3-4 layers in my pocket - But often pop the SC in at the weekend - And it always feels so good

Interesting that you see the SC less pocketable than the PST2 - But I can see that - Just due to the slimness of the PST

The fish scaler is really great if you need a non sharp tool to poke something - eg a cloth material, rope etc and as you say its a fork too!!  :tu:

Curious that you feel you need for full sized pliers when hiking or in the wild - What on earth for?    :think:   !!
Also curious how the PST fits in a wallet ?    :think:

Anyway minor points - Fantastic review - And thanks again to Antti for the generous GAW and to you for the great write up    :tu:    :D

Reply #66 on: February 16, 2024, 02:21:34 PM
The only reason the pst is more pocketable then the SC is this : the Yellow Birch Pockit !

IMG_1523.jpg
* IMG_1523.jpg (Filesize: 73.72 KB)

So I don't to find a place for it (or Sideclip), it's just always where ever I go with my wallet.
But even then, when the tools were both on my belt or in the pocket, I afraid the SC would still seem bigger. But clearly also more capable in some areas, so it's probably just a matter of getting used to its form. 
As for your questions about pliers, I use them more in the city/garden, true. I just used them all morning to cut through bamboo-made claustras that were attached with metal wires.
However, they do not rust from being unused in the mountains (where I work from time to time, so not just for hiking and strolling). Taking pegs out for the tents of our summer camp, cutting barbed wires the kids encounter in the forest (which happens more often than I would like), undoing knots, picking up something hot from the fire, taking out splinters because the end is so fine it's better than the little ones on a SAK…  It may be that I use them because I have them and could do with other tools.
In any case, I'm pretty sure I use them more than the can opener, which is never used (I don't see old-type cans anymore, they all have the tab) !  :whistle:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #67 on: February 17, 2024, 12:47:17 AM
 :tu:  Thanks for the update - Makes sense   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30