Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller.

bmot · 72 · 25235

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller.
Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:30 PM
To add on to Enki from a practical perspective (my mother works in the po po).

Open assisted folders  slowly with 2 hands if needed. The faster it opens the more chance of it being "confiscated" as a weapon.
Any manual folder that passes the rule of thumb (OHO, traditional, locking or non locking) of the blade being shorter than the width of your palm is good. Try to keep it below 10cm of blade length though.
What they don't see is legal (their words, not mine).
Depending on the situation you can argue for a bigger folder and get away with it such as forgotten camping, farming or other type of tool (this is why you can technically carry an axe trough the city but it has to be out of sight). Actually tested that axe thing while doing some demolition work.

Another big thing is that there is a difference between confiscated and "confiscated" so make sure you get a receipt and the badge number.
They have the right to ask you to empty out your pockets, pat you down and look in your bags, but they are not allowed to open your bags, touch anything inside of them (so they can only look from different angles) and they can not put their hands in your pockets.

Does anyone know Belgian laws?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 12:24:16 PM
According to the Internet (http://www.wapenunie.be/wapenwet#h2) (I'll ony put knife-related stuff here)

Art. 3. § 1. Als verboden wapens worden beschouwd :

5° spring- of valmessen met slot, vlindermessen, boksbeugels en blanke wapens die uiterlijk gelijken op een ander voorwerp;

12° werpmessen;
13° nunchaku's;
14° werpsterren;

17° voorwerpen en stoffen die niet als wapen zijn ontworpen, maar waarvan, gegeven de concrete omstandigheden, duidelijk is dat degene die ze voorhanden heeft, draagt of vervoert, ze wenst te gebruiken voor het toebrengen van lichamelijk letsel aan of het bedreigen van personen.

Which means in English:
The next weapons are illegal:

5° locking automatic knives, balisongs, brass knuckles, and weapons that look like something else.
12° throwing knives;
13° nunchaku's;
14° throwing stars;

17° things that aren't designed as a weapon, but, seeing the situation, it's clear that the person that's carrying them wishes to use them to induce bodily harm or threatening of persons.

Art. 9. Het dragen van een vrij verkrijgbaar wapen is alleen toegestaan aan diegene, die daartoe een wettige reden kan aantonen.
Which means: "carrying a freely available weapon is only permitted to persons who have a lawful reason to do so"

(or something like this, Top-Gear-24 probably knows more about this ;) )

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:45:05 PM
Could someone chime in with what the current rules in Sweden are?

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 12:52:01 AM
Knifelaws in Sweden.

First of all you are not allowed to carry any kind knife in public places.
Exampels of exeptions from that is if you are a carpenter and have your dedicated carpenter knife on you. Military with uniform.Out in the woods picking mushrooms having your dedicated mushroom knife. etc.

But there are really no restrictions of what you can owe. I think you can have any kind and size of knife,sword or machete.

As I understand it you have to be 21 to buy or owe certain knifes as autoknifes,stillettos or butterflyknifes.
Which is remarkable beacause the legal age for most things are 18.

This is the short version and I don´t know exactly how the law is used. For example I carry a small folder in a pouch stuffed away in my rucksack almost everyday. And I think thats legal. But I´m not sure.
As it is not easy accessible. As a "normal" citizen I´m not worried about it I think the law came to let the police take knifes and similiar weapons from people having them at wrong places as around soccer games  and such. The law is fairly new.
We had a popular polititian Anna Lindh whos was minister of foreign affairs that was murdered by a madman in a knife attack 10 years ago which also affected the sight of knifes in public places.

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 08:06:41 PM
I will be traveling to Canada in March next year, anyone have any good tips on what (not) to bring? Obviously I won't carry my Spyderco Military or ZT0550 but I'd like to know if carrying a Cadet in my pocket would get me in trouble, and if I could sneak by a larger blade of some sort. Thanks in advance!
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:27 PM
We have our fair share of Canadians around here (one even owns this place :P ) so if you don't get your answer by Christmas we'll :twak: them a bit. :D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 01:28:28 AM
I'm actually surprised that none of them answered here, yet...  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 04:02:16 PM
  If you're coming to Brazil you'll not have much problems whatsoever. The law only specify what is a white weapon and what is a fire-arm. It does so because the possesion and carry of a fire arm is regulated, meaning you need a permit to own and carry one.

Knife wise you could carry pretty much anything but a little bit of good sense is welcomed. Don't try to open carry a machete and/or large cutting tools of this kind. Technically and LEO can't not arrest you for carrying it (only if you were caught trying to chop someone's head and etc) but is better not to. Push daggers and similars are considered as weapons with the sole purpose of causing harm but again the sole possession and carry of such are not reason for a LEO to arrest you.

This http://www.camachoknives.com/porte.html was written by a lawyer and now knife maker from Rio de Janeiro, and all the information above was based on my understanding of the article.

Just for a quick recap, MT's, SAK's, auto's, bali's, assisted opener's and fixed blades are all legal.

Any additional info is welcomed!

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 12:45:49 PM
Can anyone cover knife laws in Philippines for me? I get all kinds of answers from guards and local cops, most of whom are trying to confiscate my knife in one hand and holding out the other ....  :td:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 08:47:12 PM
Can anyone cover knife laws in Philippines for me? I get all kinds of answers from guards and local cops, most of whom are trying to confiscate my knife in one hand and holding out the other ....  :td:

A quick google search gives me this as a first page:

BATAS PAMBANSA BILANG 6

AN ACT REDUCING THE PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF BLADED, POINTED OR BLUNT WEAPONS, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBERED NINE.
Section 1.  Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows: 

"3.  It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct."

Sec. 2.  Article twenty-two of the Revised Penal Code shall apply to persons previously convicted under paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine.

Sec. 3.  Any law or ordinance which is inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed.
Sec. 4.  This Act shall take effect upon its approval.

http://www.chanrobles.com/bataspambansabilang6.htm#.UtRB4vTuIrU

Of course, I can't verify any sources for this...

If this is right, though, I'd be very careful with any knife-carrying...

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 12:00:49 PM
Just bumping this up to attention here :)

I was thinking, in spirit of the "guide to the international trader"-topic, I thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread where knife-carrying laws of all countries are put together. (Mods, if this thread already exists, don't be afraid to close this one ;)  )DISCLAIMER: this thread is not meant to be bashing local knife laws, just purely informational! :police:  (If a mod can put a link to each country/state/city here, it could become an awesome encyclopedia-thingy)

The Netherlands
United Kingdom
Norway
Spain
Germany
Finland
Croatia (and an addition)
Belgium
Sweden
Brazil
Phillipines

For the USA:
Vague general feeling
Chicago
California
Vermont

Links:
http://www.akti.org/resources
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm - This used to be pretty good, but seems not to have been updated in a few years.

Also, this addition I'd like to make:

I'd like to point out that so far, pretty much every law I've read here has a sentence/part like this: Also considered cold weapons are objects suitable to infect injuries when carried in public places.

Good thing to keep in mind when visiting a bar or any other public place ;)

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 09:57:26 AM
Just as another bump, and maybe an inspiration... A list of countries I woul personally be interested in:

France, Italy, Switzerland, Portugal, general eastern Europe, Denmark, more places in the USA, Canada?

Please, do share :)

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 09:21:48 PM
Well, I guess I can chime in with the laws of Denmark - at least the way I understand them.

No one-handed/assisted blades, no locking blades and no blades longer than 2,75 inches/7 cm. This is measured from the tip of the blade to the scale, not just the sharpened part.

IIRC, locking blades are legal if used for a "legal reason", i.e. camping, hunting, fishing, work, etc, but blades that can be opened with one hand, whether they're with thumb studs/hole, assisted opening, OTF, flippers or anything else is illegal to carry and own.

It is possible to get a permit for collecting knifes, swords and the like, but I don't know what such a permit lets you own and even then, it wouldn't be legal to carry said knives, unless they are in a locked box.

If I've forgotten something or misunderstood something, I'm sure AHB can help out; he's the reason I more or less understand the laws. :D

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:37 PM
Hello all. I've been absent for 2 years and I would like to make this my return post. First let me say, bmot thanks for the most recent deal and your generosity, given my history with the USMC. Second, Grant I know you missed me, don't be ashamed to admit it. Your feelings for me aren't wrong Grant, they're just different and that's ok. :rofl:
Lastly, all of you need to move to Oklahoma with me and carry anything you damn well please, including your 6 foot long "Light Saber" or whatever. Anyone who has a problem with whatever you're carrying can feel free to call me. Whereupon I will formally advise them, according to the law here, just exactly how they can go stand on their head and tamp sand in their ***hole!
Man, I missed you guys!
Stew and new k9 partner "Bo" :salute:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:59:17 PM by scattergun13 »
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #44 on: May 26, 2014, 12:39:32 AM
Welcome back amigo!  I dunno about everyone else here but for some reason I missed you!   :pok:

Good to have you back man- our nonsense quotient was starting to slip!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 03:42:34 AM
Thank you Boss. I'm full of nonsense and depending upon whom you listen to, I'm full of some other stuff as well. No need to reply Ashley, we already know what you think I'm full of... :pok:. I really have missed Ashley. She didn't take any crap off of me. Still, she was too scared to openly admit my overall superiority in every way. Take that Ashley! He said with authority, while running for his life... :whistle:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 04:12:08 AM
Thank you Boss. I'm full of nonsense and depending upon whom you listen to, I'm full of some other stuff as well. No need to reply Ashley, we already know what you think I'm full of... :pok:. I really have missed Ashley. She didn't take any crap off of me. Still, she was too scared to openly admit my overall superiority in every way. Take that Ashley! He said with authority, while running for his life... :whistle:

Ash hasn't been too active here lately.  I talk to her all the time though, so I'll be sure to pass that along.....  >:D 

Welcome back.  :cheers:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 02:48:19 PM
Glad to have you back!!! It has been awhile.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 05:50:47 PM
So is a locking knife allowed to be carried in spain? I have a tenacious or ambitious on me when going to and from work

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 08:25:04 PM

Ash hasn't been too active here lately.  I talk to her all the time though, so I'll be sure to pass that along.....  >:D 

Thank you Sir. Now I really will be in trouble, and deservedly so... :pok:
Thank you as well duct, it's good to be back.  :cheers: to all.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 09:01:47 PM

Thank you Sir. Now I really will be in trouble, and deservedly so... :pok:
Thank you as well duct, it's good to be back.  :cheers: to all.

Yep I'm sure you will be.  I heard what you threatened to do to her yard.....

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 11:34:32 PM
I was going to do it in all 4 corners brother and "mark my territory". :rofl: I don't think it scared her...

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 11:38:27 PM
My plan was to do it and then blame it on Kirk like you told me too...or was that supposed to be a secret? :whistle:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 12:04:14 AM
My plan was to do it and then blame it on Kirk like you told me too...or was that supposed to be a secret? :whistle:

Nah, everybody on MTO knows to blame Kirky for stuff like this. >:D

Welcome back. :cheers:

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: May 27, 2014, 02:26:03 AM
Thank you very much old friend. I sense as a "holy man" that jersey and I may need a bondsman and a good lawyer. Right along with a therapist, some acupuncture, a priest, a safe word and an airtight alibi. :drink:
Really,
Stew....

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #55 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:19 PM
Stew and Tom the two cuts up that make me world a mess.  Tom is a damn Yankee that's a mets fan and Stew well I can't tell what he is. :whistle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:12 AM
Stew and Tom the two cuts up that make me world a mess.  Tom is a damn Yankee that's a mets fan and Stew well I can't tell what he is. :whistle:

Well let me help you with that...
Stew is the all knowing "Stewyzypha" who can stop a speeding bullet...well. once anyway.
Stew puts the "style" in "doggy style"!
Stew spells his name S T with an oooooooh...
Stew is so handsome that at Christmas time, I touch my own elf!
Stew will have his own religious cult and it will be called "Plentywood"

Did any of that help? :D
STooooooh!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:24 PM
I find it slightly ironic that I'm being called "Yankee" by someone whose state exists only because the area refused to join the Confederacy in 1861..... ::)

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #58 on: May 28, 2014, 04:59:48 PM
And that above is why I love you so stew you touch your own elf. Tom you can't even speak normal ask any wv local. You say I have a drawllllll well hell at least I'm understandable. You need spit that gunk outta ya mouth and speak clearer. :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: May 28, 2014, 05:07:39 PM
:twak: Allayouseguys are the ones talkin funny, not me, aight? :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%