Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Detron's SwissTool

detron · 37 · 3560

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Detron's SwissTool
on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:32 PM
Thanks to the extreme kindness of an anonymous philanthropist I have a SwissTool!

I have had a few minutes to play with it, but I will be doing a full review, and I have found several things that amaze me about this tool!

I will add pictures, and the review to this thread, but I wanted to start the thread and show my gratitude. 

this really touched me, and it also arrived on my first day being furloughed (takes the mind off of Gargamel)

Thank you, you know who you are. 
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Detron's SwissTool
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:57:06 PM
 :salute: proves again what a great forum we have here ,enjoy your swisstool  :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:01:25 PM
It sure does, and I FELT that was true within days of joining, but the kindness of the members becomes more and more apparent as time goes on.  I see people helping others every where I turn.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Multitool.org should win the Nobel "online" peace prize!

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:46 PM
Brilliant. Congrats on the sweet piece. I've yet to get around to getting one myself, I really should.

I look forward to the review.  :tu:
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:29:52 PM
 :worthless:
Leatherman

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:19 PM
Another fine example of why I love this place so much!  :tu:

I also really love my SwissTool!  To me, they set the bar for others to try and reach.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:56:22 AM
Nice one Detron,great score :tu:

Multitools will never be the same for you :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline detron

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:50 AM

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 03:02:53 AM
Hey Detron that's awesome.

what model did you get.

I'm a huge fan of swisstool.

i think it may be the best multitool made right now.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 03:08:04 AM
Hey Detron that's awesome.

what model did you get.

I'm a huge fan of swisstool.

i think it may be the best multitool made right now.

I am still learning about the Swisstools,  but I am pretty sure it is the SwissTool,  no rs,  no x

I have had long enough to know it is awesome,  I hope to review it fully this weekend

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 03:12:37 AM
I wish I had a Swisstool.
Leatherman

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 04:36:32 AM
That's awesome Detron, and just further proves how much of a family like community this place is :cheers:  I'm looking forward to your review.  I don't have a Swisstool, but I do have a Spirit, and it is awesome. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Re: Detron's SwissTool ***Review added***
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 06:46:44 AM
SwissTool review and drool

When I joined this forum, I saw people saying this was the THE multitool, and I thought they were just Victorinox fans, or biased against Leatherman and other brands, well NOW I UNDERSTAND!!

Ok, first thing I noticed was the finish of every piece of this tool.  It is a testament to the quality of the metal, and the polishing performed at the factory.

I also noticed that this tool can be placed on any of it's six sides when closed and stand easily.  Does this matter?  it shows that Victorinoxed avoided using space not defined by the frame.  this makes sheathing the item easier.

All of the tools are accessible with the pliers closed  And special thought was given to the placement of nail nicks.  all tools are easy to open.

Tools  No tool clumping!!!!!

I was fascinated by the springs,  single piece split to work individually

As I started to open the pliers, I noticed the tool has a "soft lock" as the pliers open
this forms an almost perfect 90 degree angle (maybe 1 degree off?)
I would not build a house using this as a square, but I sure would use it to check to see if something is essentially square

these half stops make you feel a little more sure that the ruler is accurate.

The pliers were comfortable to use and aside from looking strange (too many Leathermans I guess) seem to be very nice.

I really like this tool.  I think the most important thing Victorinox put into this tool was Thought.  it is evident that the engineering was not a rush job.

Again, to the anonymous philanthropist who showed extreme kindness in sending me this I thank you.
I have no way of expressing how much this means to me.  I hope to one day return the favor and pay it forward.  Though you are anonymous, you are a wonderful addition to the MT.O family and I am glad to have conversed with you, even though it was through Private messages.
    I am glad their are still people on earth, like myself, who are willing to help others, and enjoy the act of helping in itself.
I have seen others on this wonderful forum who have also demonstrated selflessness, and I am glad I joined this digital family.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:16:09 AM by detron »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:53 AM
Thank you for a nice review and thanks to the anonymous donator for his kind deed!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:07:43 AM by lowtech »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 11:44:00 AM
Nice review detron!  Thanks to the great member that sent this to you, and thanks to you for all the IT help/support you have provided to us! :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 12:25:43 PM
Nice overview  :tu: You might start looking at other multitools slightly differently from now on  ;) :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 02:38:19 PM
Good review man :tu:  It looks like that one is a good user, which will help you feel less worried/guilty about potentially damaging the beautiful finish.  I worry about that some with my Spirit, but I know they're more than capable of handling some abuse :tu:
K-Tibbs

Offline victordomingos

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:11 PM
Nice review. For those who have tried both, which multitool do you prefer: Victorinox or Leatherman? They seem very similar, right?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:04 PM
Nice rundown on one of my favorite tools!  My only complaint about swiss tools, is there isnt enough versions of them! I think there is only 3 or 4 if you count BO, so it doesnt take too long to collect them all.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 03:51:10 PM
Nice review. For those who have tried both, which multitool do you prefer: Victorinox or Leatherman? They seem very similar, right?

Well, that obviously depends on which models you compare.

generally, though, fit and finish, and just general feel of the tool, is better on the Vic's I have (had). My carry now usually rotates between my Swisstool and my LM Rebar, depending on some things.

Between those two, well, I can't really say which one I like more. Just depends on when, where and how I'm gonna use them. I don't like the Vic sheath too much, though. I find the LM one much better, because it can hold some other items with the MT too (I have a Vic Vagabond (58mm), a Fenix E01 flashlight and a PocketwrenchII in it), that therefor you don't have to find another place for  :tu:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 04:44:18 PM

when i first began here i kept hearing about the fit and finish of the swisstools vs LM and how once i got one it would be amazing and i wouldn't look back at LM or any other MT the same.  well i have several MTs now and a few of the exact same swisstool for comparison. 

the swisstools i got were used and came to me that way but were in very good condition non the less.  much like Detron pointed out i was pleased at the over all workmanship of the tool.  i personally like the bluntISH plier and all outside tool approach of the swisstool.  LM has needle nose pliers which are fantastic but it would be nice to see other variations available however the OHO tools on some LM models cannot be beat IMHO as you still need 2 hands on the swisstool.  YMMV 

the highly polished finish is awesome on the swisstool but that IMO doesn't win against the LM
( my LMs havent had rust issues ).  i like how there is NO tool clumping on the swisstool but dislike the sheath terribly for actual use vs the LM nylon one.  i can keep the LM pliers in a ready to use position while i cannot with my swisstool in the Vic sheath.  i dislike that neither has belt clips.

i don't think there is a clear winner for me and my LM reference is my Wave.   

Plus kit vs LM Bit kit plus extender

i have the L wrench and its a stout little tool that came with 6 bits
i bought the LM bit cards and extender with a total bit count of 42

to me in real world use thus far the LM clearly wins by simply having many more options without adding bulk.  both are easy to carry in their assigned spaces in the MT sheaths but the plus kit is more of a stand alone kit while the LM kit is meant to use with your tool ( with a simple addition you can use your LM kit stand alone as well ).  depending on your real world needs YMMV.

bottom line

BMOT said is more succinctly, i also don't have a clear winner as i carry both and both have not let me down on the job ( ive had my wave longer ). each has something i really like over the other and each has a limitation over the other. my wave is an excellent tool and my swisstool is as well and im happy to have both ready for the call.         
Esse Quam Videri

Offline victordomingos

Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 04:48:17 PM

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 05:15:43 PM
I tend to like a leatherman more than a Vic. Vic makes a sweet tool but, they are too polished. Sometimes there tools slip because of this and hard as hell to hold onto when they are wet or greasy. Vics shining stars is there saks. Vic also lacks OH blades and tools. But this is preference for me.
sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 05:24:06 PM
I will still carry my leatherman as my main MT,  once in a while I might switch it out for a change, but my Charge TTi and AL are my favorites.  I like the OHO.

I love the SwissTool nail nick placement, the shine, the click action when opening and closing.  This is a great tool, and if I did not carry the bit extender and full bit kit with my Charge, I might rotate this in periodically.

I would put this in my car as a car tool, but I like playing with my collection too much to do that. (How can I watch TV and play with a SAK or MT if it is in the car?  :rofl:

However, my new Skinth that is on the way can hold 2 4" MTs, so I might be mixing and matching on a regular basis

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 08:23:22 PM
I have carried a Leatherman Wave for around 10 years as well as my Cybertool, I like it a lot.
BUT - the Wave just isn't all that comfortable if you need to use a bit of force to squeeze the pliers.

Then I got a Victorinox SwissTool X 2nd hand through Amazon and started carrying that & my Cybertool.
The SwissTool is much more comfortable to use as pliers, I can squeeze hard and nothing is digging into my palm - this is due to where the tools are placed, all tools available when the pliers are closed also means that those tools are NOT on the outside when using the pliers.
The SwissTool has some tools that the Wave doesn't - chisel, pry tool, awl & ruler.
The SwissTool has all the tools available without having to open up the pliers.
The tools don't clump like my Wave tools.
ALL the tools lock open.

I've never had any rust problems with my Wave and it is still in great condition after more than a decade of ownership.  I also like certain features of my Wave like the fantastic file (rough one side, diamond the other) and sometimes the pointy blade is more useful.
But overall I like my SwissTool better.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:19 PM
I love this type of threads.  :hatsoff: to both Detron and the donor of the Swisstool. :2tu:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 02:55:03 AM
Yes, I still don't understand why everyone likes the Swisstool so much.
After I get the Rebar/Micra set, I'll save up and get a Spirit X.
Leatherman

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 03:13:59 AM

I didn't see what the big deal was myself until I finally gave in to my curiosity and got a Spirit.  Once I had it in my hands, I understood :D 
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:03 AM

read my first line:

When I joined this forum, I saw people saying this was the THE multitool, and I thought they were just Victorinox fans, or biased against Leatherman and other brands, well NOW I UNDERSTAND!!

to me on paper this does not compare, however having it my hands changed my level of respect for the tool.  I still prefer my Charge TTi due to OHO,  but this moved up the later several rungs by having it in my hand

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 05:17:40 AM
I still don't understand why everyone likes the Swisstool so much.

Not to say there aren't other good tools out there, or that there is no room for improvement of the Swisstool, but the F&F and W&T of the Swisstool lines are second to none and they are the standard against which others should be judged.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%