Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micromill 2000

3rdpig · 14 · 2452

us Offline 3rdpig

Micromill 2000
on: October 04, 2013, 02:30:16 AM
Anyone familiar with these?  I inherited one from my older Brother and it's been sitting in my garage for a few years.  I believe it was made by Taig.  It works and it's in good shape.  I know just enough about it to know the original controller box requires two parallel ports and DOS software called SuperCAM but there is, or at least was, a way to upgrade it to use Windows based CAM software like Mach 3. 

I'm a computer guy, so the software part won't be a problem for me, and I can build about anything, but I'm not a machinist.  But every time I go out in the garage I see that thing and wish I could do something with it.  Custom SAK scales maybe?  I've no idea, but now that the weather is cooling off here I'd like to see if I can get it updated and learn to use it.

I've also got a small Harbor Freight lathe that he bought new, completely disassembled, "fixed" and put back together. I ought to be able to make something pretty neat with them.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:35:47 AM by 3rdpig »

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Re: Micromill 2000
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:35:02 AM
The hardest part about those micro mills is the backlash on the feed screws (the part that moves the bed) otherwise it a fine machine to work on custom scales.

Depending in the material you may want to invest in ape Tini coated end mills or carbide if you can afford it (they tend to chip really easily, but are mega sharp)

I have it's bigger brother the Mini.

The Lathe is also one of those things that take a lot of work to get precise. Once you get it, it's a whole heck of a lot of fun.

There is always a way, hack on!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:41:21 AM
Metro, on the other side of the is a Craftsman machinists roll away tool box and half the drawers are filled with tool bits.  Most I don't even know what are, and I know he sold most of the more expensive ones before he passed, but there's still a lot of stuff in it.

I guess my first step is contacting Taig and seeing if they can still update the controller box.  There's a guy in Australia who was making updated controller cards for them, but that was years ago.  And a while back someone told me I could probably use a Gecko board in it.  I wish I could remember who it was!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 02:46:59 AM
You got to use those tools.

I'm jealous.

I have no idea how to run the mill but I'd figure it out.

the lath I kinda know how to use. I really need to buy one but I need to build a shop of my own first .

get busy 3rdpig I'd like to see some custom made goodies from you
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:31:55 AM
Oh, I'll figure out how to use the mill even if I have to relearn DOS.  I was once a real wiz at it, but that was so long ago it almost seems like another life.  But at least I know it will work that way, but if I can get it updated to run Mach 3 under Windows I think it would make it a heck of a lot easier.

I know the basics of lathe use from metal shop in high school, but that's about how long it's been since I've used one.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 04:14:48 AM
I would kill to have a mini mill and lathe in my garage.  I spend all day programming and running the big ones at work, and i spend my off time researching new tools and machines, ways to cut new parts, and machining in general.  I woul love to be able to make some of my crackpot ideas come to life without having to ask my shop owners permission. 

Hope you get it running and enjoy it!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:54 AM
Holy cow, I just found out that the makers of my little CNC mill, Taig Tools and MicroPronto systems, are both about 10 miles down the road from me in Chandler, Arizona.  I bet that's going to be helpful!

Looks like they make an adapter board to bring it current and sell it with a discounted version of Mach 3D.  So for about $250 I can be current with both the controller box and the CAM software.

And I noticed that thing off to the left side is the 4th rotary table.  It's not complete, but the parts must be here because I remember him using it.

I'll have to put another computer out there, that old one is a real POS, but I've got more than enough parts around to build a decent, dual core system with Win7 on it.

Hey, getting excited over here!

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:38:32 AM
I would kill to have a mini mill and lathe in my garage.  I spend all day programming and running the big ones at work, and i spend my off time researching new tools and machines, ways to cut new parts, and machining in general.  I woul love to be able to make some of my crackpot ideas come to life without having to ask my shop owners permission. 

Hope you get it running and enjoy it!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's why my Brother bought it, but he never really came up with anything that could be sold for a profit, just stuff he made for me and other family members.

I'm not sure I'm going to be any better, it may be more of a hobby than a job, but then again, I treat my job like a hobby, so maybe it will all work out.   :whistle:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:09:32 AM
I have the manual version of this mill.  It's very capable for it's size and dead accurate with a bit of care.  I've used it on steel, aluminum, plastic and wood with good success.  Use small (3/8 in. and under) end mills it can handle most jobs - a bit slow but it is small.

John.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 05:34:06 PM
Looking forward to see what you come up with.   :tu:

Im almost ready to order the CNC kit for my mill, but Ive gotten so used to having a manual one for quick tasks I havent been in too big of a hurry.  I almost want to get a 2nd mill for CNC and keep this one manual, but I dont have the cash for all that.  Fun stuff though, Ive got lots to learn about the interface part, but doing the mechanical conversion looks straight forward.

Here's mine.  Currently buried in Al and brass chips, it gets alot of use. :D

Thanks for sharing.  :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 06:26:54 PM

There is always a way, hack on!

Hack on, hack off...

myagui.jpg
* myagui.jpg (Filesize: 6.26 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 08:43:19 PM

1995 called. They need that monitor back.

:rofl: I keed.. I keed..
G

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 09:19:52 PM
Update!  I just got off the phone with MicroPronto, they can still get the upgrade board and if I bring the controller box they'll swap the board out for me and test it to make sure it's working!

So hopefully by the end of next week I'll be ready to start learning how to use it.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:47 PM

1995 called. They need that monitor back.

:rofl: I keed.. I keed..

1995 can dig around in my recycle bin if it needs that monitor, because that's where it's going to be shortly.  And not just the monitor, the whole thing is circa 1995.  I just need to see if he had anything worth keeping on that computer and it's going to follow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%