Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Royal mail new rules?

Zed · 31 · 3073

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Royal mail new rules?
on: October 07, 2013, 10:25:12 AM
This morning i took a item into my local royal mail office, i was asked if my item was anything on the list of pictures,well there was explosives  :D and other dangerous items including a knife,the picture was of a military looking knife, i decided out of interest to say its a mt (cant say actual items name as a gift for a member here ) i said it has a blade but is a tool,well after a 10min phone call it was decided this item is not classed as a weapon,is it me or is this a bit nuts,so can you send a axe ? Kitchen knives ? He asked me if its a fixed blade,its not of course,so yet more complications  :ahhh

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Royal mail new rules?
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:14 AM
I'd guess there's been accidents from people not wrapping things correctly. Sharp objects have been a restricted item for quite a while, but that just defines "how" they must be sent, not prohibits them from being sent.

From Royal Mail's website:

Sharp objects

Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.

Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Of course, just like in any walk of life, you might come cross someone working for the PO that tries to add their own rules  ::) but the company's policy still allows sharps to be sent providing they are suitably protected and no a risk to anyone handling the package (i.e. the knife cannot work it's was through the packaging during all the handling and transport stages).

I'm obviously not an authority on the matter, but if I was questioned I would simply tell them what the item is and what measures have been taken to make sure it is safe. No need to kick up a fuss, they are just trying to protect themselves from idiots, and aren't to know that we probably know what we're doing  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:17:42 PM
This is a new rule Al,dangerous items list,ill keep my mouth shut next time  :D i was just glad to get this gift off :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:25:02 PM
This is a new rule Al,dangerous items list,ill keep my mouth shut next time  :D i was just glad to get this gift off :tu:

So are they actually saying you cannot send sharps under any circumstances Paul, or that there are some hoops to jump though (like before)? I can't see a total ban coming out as that would interfere with far too much mail order business (and cost them a smurfload of business)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:35:31 PM
I was the first person they have had to deal with (probably too honest lol) they have been given no definition, the picture says weapon and has a pic of a fixed blade,after the phone call they did say there should be s list.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:07:21 PM
OK, I've just given them a ring to query the situation  :tu:

It appears that there were some changes back in April which may impede on what they are able to send, and this revolves around what licenses Royal Mail have for certain restricted items. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be particularly clear cut, depending on individual interpretation (bloody typical eh?  ::)) as you'll see in a second ...

I asked about sharps in general ranging from and axe to a penknife, and was told that many items may not be accepted for shipping internationally, but appropriately packaged should be fine in the UK .... so long as it is classed as a weapon! He mentioned a Stanley Knife!!! I questioned him on this topic and said that I appreciate there are prohibited items such as balisongs/flick knives etc, but what about items that may be open to interpretation? I gave the example of a parang/machete which I use semi frequently and have ordered previously online and had delivered. He advised that they can deliver domestically if suitably packaged, but this could contravene their license on international items. He then again mentioned the flick knives being totally prohibited and retracted his comments on the Stanley Knife!!! He also clarified that these restrictions are not industry wide, but a matter of what licenses Royal Mail have, and it may be a case of having to use a different carrier.

He also mentioned that lithium batteries are another problem item for them, and that people should always check the specifics first so as to see how these items should be handled.

If in doubt they suggest asking the PO in advance about sending any item you are unsure of to ensure they are licensed to carry it, and what you need to do. Worst case scenario is that an item will need to be sent via a different carrier.

I DID NOT ask (as I didn't think it appropriate) what happened if an item got past the post office, but was stopped and deemed to not be a permitted item at another stage of the process ... so if anyone tries to sneak one past the postal staff to avoid having to use another carrier, and then has problems later with fees or confiscation/disposal, don't come running to me  :pok: ;)

Basically - check first, because if they don't have a license to carry it, I don't know what will happen to it at the x-ray stage. I can't see any problems with multitools and folding knives, but anything fixed/larger probably ought to be queried - particularly if sending overseas

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 01:35:15 PM
I thought this would come up on MT org sooner or later. It’s been discussed loads over at Britishblades. See here – http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?172871-Sending-knives-in-the-post-Delivery and here -  http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?160257-Royal-mail-banning-sending-of-antique-knives-from-today

Long story cut short, if it’s not a prohibited item and is packed in a manner that is safe and won’t harm the post staff you can post it. But many staff have not been trained and think that ALL knives are prohibited. Added to the fact that some who work in the PO think they know what they are talking about with some authority makes for a nightmare trying to explain the facts

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 02:15:25 PM
 :facepalm:
Leatherman

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:18:05 PM
I can see Amazon UK moving some operations to Germany or other EU countries where Amazon has warehouses, if they can not ship knives/blades out of the UK. I buy SAKs etc. from the quite often. And Sheffield will be also affected, with respect to their sales of knives out of the UK.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:39 PM
I can see Amazon UK moving some operations to Germany or other EU countries where Amazon has warehouses, if they can not ship knives/blades out of the UK. I buy SAKs etc. from the quite often. And Sheffield will be also affected, with respect to their sales of knives out of the UK.

Read the above details, there is no problem sending knives in the post, apart form mis imformed post office staff.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 02:29:23 PM

Read the above details, there is no problem sending knives in the post, apart form mis imformed post office staff.

You've pretty much backed up what my own thoughts were Mark, and the chap I spoke to kind of inadvertently confirmed that too  :P I just hope misinformed staff don't cause too many complications ...  :whistle:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:12 PM
The part about li-ion batteries happened in the US about a year ago too. You can't have them shipped by USPS anymore.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:34:08 PM
I had a fellow trying to send me donors from the UK, same story.   He went again and just avoided telling them there were dangerous SAKs! and they shipped fine.  I suggested 'camping tool' and that seems to have been acceptable.  Its great to have to lie to use a service eh?

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 03:38:50 PM
When i send overseas i just write tools,this item was sent uk,i have to say this isnt my usual PO as where i normally go ive never been asked hence me thinking its new,but the staff all was clueless so makes me think its a bit like the uk knife laws Aaaarrrhhhh in future ill keep my mouth closed  ;)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 03:42:58 PM
Ya it seems best to just never offer more information then needed eh.  In reallity as long as its a folding knife its not goign to stab through the packaging, unless it was shipped open.  Now if you were shipping some razor sharp daggers in a bubble mailer, then that's actually what that rule would be for.  Common sense.. come back please!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 03:46:27 PM
I guess its the smurphs with no common sense messing it up for the rest of us,this all sounds all to familiar  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 03:52:27 PM
I have on several occasions been tempted to lobby parliament with a view to making it perfectly legal to give someone a wedgie if their stupidity interferes with your normal daily life. Public humiliation (a day in the stocks) would work too particularly for repeat offenders. Only slightly less frequent has been my temptation to lobby for a big red button on telephones - the purpose of this when pressed would be to legally blow up the telephone equipment of someone calling you under certain circumstances such as telesales calls (especially automated ones), drunk people phoning the wrong number at 3am, and when someone calls your phone with a fax machine  :ahhh :ahhh. Knives aren't the problem, idiots are the problem! Wedgies, stocks, big red button - spread the word  :P

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 04:05:37 PM
although funny in itself this tread has made me think again that "no good deed goes unpunished these days" !!!!
having spoken to Paul I know what he's up to (I think  :think:) AND what he has posted ! all will come out soon on the forum i'm sure, if the post ever gets there  :rofl:

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 04:11:48 PM
I was gutted when they first brought the new rules in because it meant no more cheap CR123's from 7dayshop >:(

My post office has been really helpful, you can get a leaflet of the restricted items...I just say it's a tool/camping tool when sending knives and make sure they are well wrapped.

I was told Royal Mail can destroy the item if its one of the restricted items :o

It's a bit daft if you ask me as they say it's OK to send a device with battery installed but not to send the same battery in retail packaging ???

There is more chance of a fire/leakage if the battery is in the device IMHO ::)
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 05:59:27 PM
although funny in itself this tread has made me think again that "no good deed goes unpunished these days" !!!!
having spoken to Paul I know what he's up to (I think  :think:) AND what he has posted ! all will come out soon on the forum i'm sure, if the post ever gets there  :rofl:

I hope it gets there as tonys birthday present  :ahhh im sure pics will follow michael and folk will understand  :tu:

I agree doc on batteries, its all going crazy  :ahhh

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 06:02:17 PM
I miss the 80s.  Only then can an underaged canadian kid order something he didnt realize was prohibited in his country, from a US comic book, and have it delivered no problems...  And then have his parents take it away ... :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:27 PM
I miss the 80s.  Only then can an underaged canadian kid order something he didnt realize was prohibited in his country, from a US comic book, and have it delivered no problems...  And then have his parents take it away ... :D

Ahh the 80's back then i could walk into a army surplus shop or sports shop and buy a bowie even when i was 13 not saying it was right but there seemed to be less stabbings then than now because we was brought up right  ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 06:09:06 PM
X-ray specs?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 07:27:10 PM
X-ray specs?

They was so disapointing and no one to blame   :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 09:05:35 PM
seems the more time goes by, the more the Postal Services seem to obliterate themselves from package services. You'd think they'd be happy to have any business at all!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 09:23:59 PM
Next thing you know the Postal Service is going to require stamps placed on all emails.  Or they are going to sue the internet for using terms like "mail" since they are trademarks of the postal service.

Def

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 09:48:55 PM

I hope it gets there as tonys birthday present  :ahhh im sure pics will follow michael and folk will understand  :tu:

I agree doc on batteries, its all going crazy  :ahhh

:think: :think:

Puppies

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Birthday Puppies

Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 09:49:53 PM
That made my eyes go funny  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 10:01:59 PM
That made my eyes go funny  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Nope, that was the X ray specs !

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:38 AM

Next thing you know the Postal Service is going to require stamps placed on all emails.  Or they are going to sue the internet for using terms like "mail" since they are trademarks of the postal service.

Def

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Don't give them any ideas! :ahhh:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68