Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK dating info

detron · 35 · 7349

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
SAK dating info
on: October 09, 2013, 09:55:17 PM
OK,  I know there is a load of great information about dating SAKs on SAKwiki, and i know there are loads of great snippets of information throughout the Swiss forum, however I wanted to start a single place where any information that can help date a SAK or Identify a SAK could be placed.

for those that saw my 91mm spreadsheet (download, dont try to use where it is )
https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/0B96d3YZxO2vrSkZNa1NTYkR5QWs

I am working on other sizes, then I will work on the Wenger stuff too.
to me these spreadsheets have been a huge help.  The info is the info from SAKwiki, just in an easy to filter format.

some of the other type of info I am curious about seems elusive.

for any SAK model:
when did it come out
when was it discontinued? (if it was discontinued)

I am trying to collect as much of this data as I can.  I love linking a SAK to a time in history, and I know there are thousands of knowledge nuggets that can aid in this quest to better us all.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SAK dating info
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:21:49 PM
what a great tool  :tu:  great undertaking and thank you
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:31 PM
Damnit Detron,I thought you were going to tell us have to get a date,with a SAK  :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:33 PM
Damnit Detron,I thought you were going to tell us have to get a date,with a SAK  :rant:
help me I've been here too long ! I've started to think like Kirky  :ahhh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:34 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:54 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And we know EXACTLY who's fault THAT is... ;)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline detron

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:06 AM
OK,  So I have been plugging away at these spreadsheet.  NOT MY DATA!!   the data is from SAK wiki.

I am still working on doing the last few Victorinox sizes, after that I would like to do Wenger, but we will have to see,  this alone has been a bit of a challenge.  I will update this as I add more data.

Another thing I would like to add to the sheets is a column that indicates when a model was introduced, and when it was discontinued (unless still available).  This would be useful, however I do not know that information

I hope to build a spreadsheet that helps date a SAK (Victorinox for now).  I hope to use a few user inputs to build a date range.  this will be time consuming, and if anyone would like to share their knowledge to make the sheet more accurate, please do. 

Please, if you spot an error let me know, I am human and errors are very possible.

Also, this does not cover everything.  I ignored things like silver, wood, and bone handles. 
if you are unsure or do not trust the sheet, use the sheet to help you find what you need on SAK wiki.

The most useful feature are the drop down filters. use them to filter out things you do not need and each time you do that you shorten the remaining possible matches.

Victorinox 91mm Identification sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y75sdslmbl2pue5/SAK%2091%20Identifier.xlsx

Victorinox 84mm Identification sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0rhc7nyfawh72l/SAK%2084%20Identifier.xlsx

Victorinox 75mm Identification sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt22qyrw07egtq3/SAK%2075%20Identifier.xlsx

Victorinox 74mm Identification sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il62g4z8n83ie49/SAK%2074%20Identifier.xlsx

Victorinox 58mm Identification sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtwjl2jy8micn08/SAK%2058%20Identifier.xlsx

All above spreadsheets in one.  Separate tab for each
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2r47ppwrwrkevs/SAK%2058-74-75-84-91%20Identifier.xlsx

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:58:43 AM
Just wait until Jazzbass's book if he ever finishes it. All sak dating questions will be revealed!

us Offline detron

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:05:04 AM
Yeah,  but I am new to SAK collecting, and waiting on dating info is hard, since i am excited now.

I have some info, and I have:
"The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual"
"Swiss Army Knives, A Collector's Companion"

any nugget I find I squirrel away. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:27:51 AM
Detron,

Excellent work, and you did it again.  I too am new to SAK collecting, and am always glad to find means aimed to help further the collection.  Thank you!  :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:24 AM
Detron,

Excellent work, and you did it again.  I too am new to SAK collecting, and am always glad to find means aimed to help further the collection.  Thank you!  :tu:

Glad you like it, and if you run across any useful info to add, let me know or post it here.

I was surprised at how many hours this took!   I thought it would take 3 to 5,  WAY OFF,  I would guess I have 18 - 22 hours in this so far.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:53:04 PM
Thank you for doing it. Do you know how to incorporate it into a web based search app like the SAK Selector? And maybe having it link to a specific SAKwiki page once the model you have been searching for has been selected. It would reach a wider audience and we could host it on the wiki or as part of MTO. Just a thought. :think:

As for Vic info, I think i already linked you to this page

http://www.e-webtechnolog...s_-_Updated_12_FEB_08.pdf

and the info from the SAAM page that was left.

Info on dating Wengers is VERY limited. Hardly anything is left. Wenger Time Windows and much text thread offers some, and North Man posted a few tidbits of info throughout the Wenger love thread and some others on the subject. 

us Offline detron

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 03:22:12 PM
Thank you for doing it. Do you know how to incorporate it into a web based search app like the SAK Selector? And maybe having it link to a specific SAKwiki page once the model you have been searching for has been selected. It would reach a wider audience and we could host it on the wiki or as part of MTO. Just a thought. :think:

As for Vic info, I think i already linked you to this page

http://www.e-webtechnolog...s_-_Updated_12_FEB_08.pdf

and the info from the SAAM page that was left.

Info on dating Wengers is VERY limited. Hardly anything is left. Wenger Time Windows and much text thread offers some, and North Man posted a few tidbits of info throughout the Wenger love thread and some others on the subject.

I did get that info from you,  and thank you.
But I know people might know a little fact here and a little fact there that is not covered in any of the main sources.
like,  what year was the McKinley released,  putting time frames to each change of the orange peeler and so on.

I do not know how to incorporate these into a Web based search,  sorry, but if you find someone who can,  feel free to do anything you want with these.   The remaining Vic sizes should not take too long to do.  I will add them once I get them finished.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

us Offline detron

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 05:50:42 AM
Finally, arriving at dating info  :tu:   (  :twak: me, I still need to finish other Vic Sizes)

but I had to develop my concept for this filtered spreadsheet to solve a time range for SAKs.

This is a Work in Progress, and if anyone wants to add anything to it, please let me know.  I know there will be several things I do not know, and I am slowly trying to find out as much as I can.

Once again this spreadsheet is designed to be used via the drop drown boxes in row 1 for each heading.
select the things you have, and the available range will shrink as you week out invalid years.

This should be a good start  and I will update the sheet and a new post as I get more info added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exxe6sku1b824e0/SAK%20dating.xlsx

us Offline detron

Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 10:57:33 PM
While goofing off at SAK wiki at http://www.sakwiki.com/ti...index.php?page=Can+Opener

I ran across this line

The Can-Opener is a tool with a lot of history. The can-opener appeared on the first Swiss Army Knife in 1817.

Either the 1817 is a typo, or the Term Swiss Army Knife should not be there,  or I am just an idiot.  if you can help me decide which is the truth I would appreciate it.

I do realize that my being an idiot is not dependent on 1817 being wrong, or Swiss Army Knife being wrong.  :rofl:

thank you and once we have this worked out we can get SAKwiki updated to help us all out.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 12:48:03 AM
Hey Detron,

Thanks so much for these spreadsheets
They are just great - And I can imagine how much work went into creating them.  :salute:
I have downloaded them to my PC and colour coded models that I have in your spready

Like you (and probably most of us) - I am very keen to date SAKs so this is very useful
For the sheet with the models on it did you say you were working on adding in dates when models were introduced/retired?
That would be just great if it were possible. Or did I miss this?

For the tools spready I can see afew enhancements - Sorry!!  :facepalm:
  • Different versions of the:
    Metal file; wood saw; phillips driver (ie Can key, square, rounded etc) fish thingy w w/o ruler.....; the can opener; the screwdriver (wire stripper notch, wire stripper on curved bit etc)
  • Also the bail; the old Soldier version of the reamer/awl'; Clip point vs drop point small blade
A lot of this is in the brilliant SAAMS webpage:

http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php#scissors

Hope this is helpful..

Keep up the good work  :)

us Offline detron

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 12:52:49 AM
Hey Detron,

Thanks so much for these spreadsheets
They are just great - And I can imagine how much work went into creating them.  :salute:
I have downloaded them to my PC and colour coded models that I have in your spready

Like you (and probably most of us) - I am very keen to date SAKs so this is very useful
For the sheet with the models on it did you say you were working on adding in dates when models were introduced/retired?
That would be just great if it were possible. Or did I miss this?

For the tools spready I can see afew enhancements - Sorry!!  :facepalm:
  • Different versions of the:
    Metal file; wood saw; phillips driver (ie Can key, square, rounded etc) fish thingy w w/o ruler.....; the can opener; the screwdriver (wire stripper notch, wire stripper on curved bit etc)
  • Also the bail; the old Soldier version of the reamer/awl'; Clip point vs drop point small blade
A lot of this is in the brilliant SAAMS webpage:

http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php#scissors

Hope this is helpful..

Keep up the good work  :)

Huntsman,  I am glad you found them useful, and though I would love to add dates when models were added, I have no clue about that information,  however, one of our members here is working on a book to discuss SAK dating, and in my opinion this person is THE SAK expert.

I know his book will require a lot of work, and though I know it is a labor of love for him,  I cannot wait to read it once it is released (if it gets released)
I might even take a few days off of work just to devour that book.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 05:16:38 AM
Huntsman,  I am glad you found them useful, and though I would love to add dates when models were added, I have no clue about that information,  however, one of our members here is working on a book to discuss SAK dating, and in my opinion this person is THE SAK expert.

I know his book will require a lot of work, and though I know it is a labor of love for him,  I cannot wait to read it once it is released (if it gets released)

This me? If so, the book is actively being written as we speak. The last couple months were spent on SAK research, photography research, and book/typography design work. Things are coming along and I'm focusing on just the manuscript now. Might post a sample chapter here soon.  :cheers:

us Offline detron

Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 12:19:03 PM

This me? If so, the book is actively being written as we speak. The last couple months were spent on SAK research, photography research, and book/typography design work. Things are coming along and I'm focusing on just the manuscript now. Might post a sample chapter here soon.  :cheers:

Awesome!  Glad it is still moving forward

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 06:53:00 PM
Looking forward to the sample chapter. :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 01:39:31 AM
so I decided to try a new approach at an inventory spreadsheet that helps date the SAK as well.  I am trying to make this into a database, but I know excel so much better than Access, so I wanted to test my proof of concept in a format I understand.

I know this is NOT the way many people would do it, but I thought if anyone wanted my sheet, then I would share it

the video description of this spreadhsheet can be watched here

after watching the video, read below

near the end of the video I discus the pin hole on the scales.  as it turns out those scales were replaced, so the SAK is 1987-1990, not TRANS 1990-1991 as I said.  I was too lazy to do that video over.

the file is located here

now, another thing I am working on slowly with this spreadsheet is using pictures in comments.  if you go to the "front tools table" sheet and hover over the different can openers, you will see them pop up.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:25:56 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline detron

Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 01:51:55 AM
the tables are all stored in the other sheets (Front Tools Table, Back Tools Table,  Tang, and Other Tables) and the the "Model Name" is pulled from the "91mm ID" sheet  if you have a model not in the drop down,  just simple add it to the table in question and it will show up in the drop down.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 03:53:05 AM
Detron, I think this excel spreadsheet thing is probably a very good idea, but I cant help but feel very intimidated by it (and im a pretty young guy,  and fairly computer literate, to boot). Admittedly, I havent watched the video yet, but I can only imagine how some of our computer illiterate members feel reading that.

So my point is... Is there a manual I can read? :think:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 04:12:17 AM
I don't have MS Office so it won't open.....I was hoping there was a giant jpeg or pdf of of the chart that I could look at. :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline detron

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 04:31:56 AM
I don't have MS Office so it won't open.....I was hoping there was a giant jpeg or pdf of of the chart that I could look at. :facepalm:

if you have open office or Libre Office I will save in a format you can use.  if not I will make it work for you one way or another

us Offline detron

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 04:32:48 AM
Detron, I think this excel spreadsheet thing is probably a very good idea, but I cant help but feel very intimidated by it (and im a pretty young guy,  and fairly computer literate, to boot). Admittedly, I havent watched the video yet, but I can only imagine how some of our computer illiterate members feel reading that.

the video is a short manual

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 04:55:53 AM

the video is a short manual

Just finished watching. Gotta say, that was much easier looking than I thought. Great job! :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 06:15:23 AM

if you have open office or Libre Office I will save in a format you can use.  if not I will make it work for you one way or another

Thank you! I don't have  any office apps on my laptop.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline detron

Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 01:58:58 PM

I will export this into a format you can use,  but in the mean time, Libre Office is free, runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux, and is really nice.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 05:22:12 PM

I will export this into a format you can use,  but in the mean time, Libre Office is free, runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux, and is really nice.

I'll work on getting Libre Office downloaded.   :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68