Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpener advice

Rs217 · 23 · 2974

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Sharpener advice
on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:23 PM
Hi all. I'm needing a sharpener for my tools and need advice on what to get. I have no experience using hand-held sharpeners except for this:

I don't like using the above sharpener because it nicks up the blade edge.

Does anyone have advice on a good blade sharpener that is 1) not too expensive  :dwts: 2) a novice can use  :mn: 3) will last a long time?  :wait: I'd like to use it on something like the Wave, with both straight and serrated blades.

Thanks!  :hatsoff:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Sharpener advice
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:18:57 PM
Lansky, smiths which are cheaper, exduct sharpener, crocksticks, stones with some practice (diamond ones from falkniven, the new version)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:38 PM
Just saw the serrated bit. Lansky has special stones; I jut use a round diamond file

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:34 PM
For around $55 a Sharpmaker would work good! :D

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:24:33 PM
Depending on your budget the Sharpmaker might be a really good option although later on you might find yourself searching for a coarser stone. I think Lansky has a very similar easy to use system that is less expensive although has more limitations in it's use.

If you are really on a tight budget then Norton crystolon stone would be something well worth the money, or their India stones which have a bit finer grits from what I remember. Still enough to take out any damage and give you a good edge. If you have a problem with an angle then there are easy ways to make wooden holders to help you out.
To get a finer edge you can jump from the higher grit on those stones to a piece of cardboard or paper with some stropping compound on it. Won't give you a mirror polish but the edge will certainly be good.
As for the serrations, well the easiest way to go would be to get a dogbone sharpener. Those are small triangular stones that you can even carry with you.

Again this is a budget solution to your problem. There is a way to go even cheaper but I can't really recommend that.
If you find yourself constantly having problems with your edge, try destressing it first. It won't work with a pull sharpener like the one you have, but with other methods it will work very well
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:55 AM
For sharpening, I too have to agree a Spyderco Sharpmaker is probably one of the best investment, and if you do get this system, do consider to get the ultrafine stones.  This system is so capable that with just very minimum practice, you could be able to get hair shaving results.  Also, it could sharpen plain and serrated edge, or even scissors.

A cheaper alternative is the Lanysky turnbox, this is a more simpler/smaller version of Sharpmaker, but it is very useful especially for outdoor.  The angle is a little different(for 40 and 50 degree inclusive) vs Sharpmaker (30 and 40 degree inclusive).  Both of these system will compliment each other well.

Personally, I think the Sharpmaker is well worth the price or probably the valued system, it could sharpen most things I have seen, from kitchen knife to 5-6" fixed blade to multitool blades.

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:07 AM
With a little practice you can get results like these

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:30 PM
With a little practice you can get results like these

Styx,

That's an interesting video, I notice how in the video, the user is not keeping his hand perpendicular to the sharpmaker while sharpening.(see about 2:30 onwards)  Maybe he likes a wider bevel at the tip of knife?

And as a comparison for using the sharpmaker, I'd like to point to Sal's video:

Fast forward to 4:45, he is sharpening a SAK.  But notice he is keeping his hand constantly perpendicular to the sharpmaker, probably trying to keep a consistent bevel.  I am not a sharpening expert, but just my 2 cents worth of observation in two different styles that might yield different results. ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:53:18 PM by comis »

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:13 PM
He is putting a microbevel

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:40:14 PM
I use the Lanksy Universal System with an added extra course stone. I started out with just a little Gerber pull through sharpener and also have a little Lanksy dogbone sharpener that I bought after the main system.

The Lanksy system is really easy to use if a little time consuming and fiddly to swap sides. Unlike the Spyderco you can't just alternate every stroke because you've got to take the stone guide out of the hole, turn the clamp over and put the guide back in the hole. It's really hard to completely mess it up and I like the fact I can go to bed and sharpen knives tucked under my duvet. I find it a very relaxing thing to do before going to sleep. I realise that might seem a bit strange but it's something of benefit to me that I think I wouldn't be able to achieve with the Spyderco. I also sometimes use the fine stone freehand for an intermediate touch up and it works pretty well for that too.

I haven't worked out a good way of using the Universal System's serrated sharpener to sharpen my Wave's serrated blade but I might just be doing it wrong. That's why I bought the dogbone and it does the job pretty well and is also useful for quick touchups of a plain blade.

Edit: I should also add that I use the clamp on the Lanksy "wrong". I use the small blade clamp on my MT blades because I find I get more consistent results. I should really be using the main clamp I think, but I like to have a known point to line the blade up with.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:43:34 PM by Cupboard »

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 05:25:46 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone!

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:06:50 AM
Hi everyone. Just as a follow up to my question, I appreciated everyone's advice. I watched that video and was impressed and admittedly intimidated. I ended up getting a Lansky BladeMedic. I love it! And I got it for $5. 

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:17:41 PM
That's great. As long as it works

Offline Philthy

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 03:48:38 PM
I recommend at WSKTS Knife & Tool Sharpener it's like $70 on Amazon, you can put a shaving sharp convex edge on anything.  If you can swing it get the Ken Onion for like $140 for total control over the angles it has 1 degree adjustments.

It's a foolproof system, plus it comes with a dvd to show you how to use it, not that you need it.

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 03:07:40 PM
I always used a Sharpmaker but since I am not able to get my NIB LM PST BO sharp with it after at least 2-3 hours of sharpening, I ordered a Lansky with 5 different stones and hope that will do the trick.  :facepalm:  The Lansky has got ultra coarse, coarse, medium, fine and ultra fine stones, while the Sharpmaker only has got coarse and fine stones as far as I know.

Offline rickboone

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 04:22:30 PM
WSKTS / Darex field sharpener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:02 PM
I always used a Sharpmaker but since I am not able to get my NIB LM PST BO sharp with it after at least 2-3 hours of sharpening, I ordered a Lansky with 5 different stones and hope that will do the trick.  :facepalm:  The Lansky has got ultra coarse, coarse, medium, fine and ultra fine stones, while the Sharpmaker only has got coarse and fine stones as far as I know.

Dr. Bahn,

Spyderco Sharpmaker actually has ultra-fine stone set, and it can almost bring the edge to a mirror-polish state.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 05:37:12 PM
On second thought, I recently watch this and think this is a great video to demo that technique is everything, when it comes to sharpening.

24 grit to paper cutting sharp in no time:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 05:44:56 PM
A while back I spend 1/2 hour to sharpen/sort out the angle of a D2 blade on the Lansky and was happy with it.
Then, feeling tired/bored I used my (really bad quality) diamond stones to do the secondary blade to my liking. It took me 5 minutes and I felt like an idiot for spending that much time on the Lansky....  :D
I like the Lansky but I can get similar results freehand, especially on a knife with allreday half-decent bevels...
My point being that on a user knife freehand sharpening is easy ro learn and practice, and I am a serious Lansky advocate....

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:03 PM
Spyderco Sharpmaker actually has ultra-fine stone set, and it can almost bring the edge to a mirror-polish state.
I know. But that doesn´t help me much by reprofiling the angle of the edge of my PSTs.  ;)  I need some coarser stones than the medium Sharpmaker stone and I hope the coarse and ultra coarse stones of the Lansky will do the trick. Besides the Sharpmaker is especially made for Spyderco knives and their specific edge angle. The Lansky offers 4 different angles and is therefore more versatile.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:17 PM
I know. But that doesn´t help me much by reprofiling the angle of the edge of my PSTs.  ;)  I need some coarser stones than the medium Sharpmaker stone and I hope the coarse and ultra coarse stones of the Lansky will do the trick. Besides the Sharpmaker is especially made for Spyderco knives and their specific edge angle. The Lansky offers 4 different angles and is therefore more versatile.

I'm sure the Lansky will solve the problem. I ended up getting the diamond "stones" for my Sharpmaker to do the initial reprofiling needed for using the system. Results in a horrible surface, but removes stock pretty efficiently. Fixing the surface is what the ceramic stones are good at, anyway.

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 02:46:42 PM
I'm sure the Lansky will solve the problem. I ended up getting the diamond "stones" for my Sharpmaker to do the initial reprofiling needed for using the system. Results in a horrible surface, but removes stock pretty efficiently. Fixing the surface is what the ceramic stones are good at, anyway.
I really hope the Lansky will solve the problem, but I am in cheerful spirits.  :) I also thought about getting the diamant rods for the Sharpmaker but the complete Lansky kit was much cheaper.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:39 PM
Flat stones are an option for plain edged blades ( start on cheap but reasonable quality paring knives ie: Victorinox ) , follow by stropping . For serrated , an old leather bootlace loaded with abrasive .

I have just about every sharpening device known to man , my default is the Spyderco Sharpmaker .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD