Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo tool mods

ca Offline Jazz

Combo tool mods
on: September 21, 2023, 04:01:45 AM
I really have a problem with the combo tool, as it is, but finally got brave enough to mod a couple to better fit Philips screws. Here are some pics…

Bantam and Compact. Bantam ground on top of the combo tool, and Compact on the bottom…

They both work very well.

One thing, though; if you do the bottom grind, you have to slightly angle it like this next pic, so it can bite the starter hole in the can better. I hope you can tell here…

So nice to be able to screw in a Philips straight on, not angled.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Re: Combo tool mods
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 02:01:05 PM
Nice work, and you can still open a bottle of beer after all that thirsty Phillips un/screwing!  :cheers:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 02:41:40 PM
The bottom ground off section on the combo tool is how they used to be.  I like your mod.  This is the combo from my well-worn Vic Trooper (GAK).  Someone made a post about the combo tool changes in Victorinox.  Don't know who it was.  Good work on your mod.  Best wishes.  Gary  :tu:

combo.jpg
* combo.jpg (Filesize: 238.13 KB)

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 08:14:26 AM
Thanks for the closeup pic of that. It's pretty cool.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 10:41:31 AM

One thing, though; if you do the bottom grind, you have to slightly angle it like this next pic, so it can bite the starter hole in the can better. I hope you can tell here…

So nice to be able to screw in a Philips straight on, not angled.

It's a nice mod that can add a bit more functionality to the (almost useless, for me) Combo tool, even if it's still quite fragile.

I'll probably try it

Are you able to give an approximation of the two measurements of the cut, indicated below, please?  :D

* COMBO.jpg (Filesize: 75.71 KB)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:57:14 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 07:15:01 PM
I’m totally going to do that in future. Great mod.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 12:46:12 AM
Brilliant - Thanks for sharing

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 03:44:36 AM
Thanks. I forgot to try and measure today. Sorry. I just grind on a sharpening stone at approximately that angle a bit at a time. Test in a Philips screw after every bit. When it fits nicely, you’re done. Make sure of the side slanted angle, so it still can puncture a can though. Smooth off any burrs after, also. Easy.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 04:31:33 PM
Just doing an eyeball measurement, it looks like the length of the bottom grind and the remaining original screwdriver surface are about equal.  More or less.  Shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.  The angle on the grind would be important as he keeps saying.  It needs to have a little wedge to it to better pierce a can top.  If it is 90 degrees, then punching through would be hard.  I have used the combo quite a bit through the years on cans.  That first cut through the can top is important.  Best wishes.  G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%