Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One SAK for a Year

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
One SAK for a Year
on: October 22, 2013, 08:54:41 AM
A year ago I posted this in the SAK Mods thread...

Here's a mod I've been meaning to do for quite some time.

I'm calling it the Town and Country:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

While my most carried SAK at the moment is a Passenger I modded, as it has everything I need for urban duties, it stays home whenever I take a walk in the park or spend time in or near nature, since it is lacking a saw. So if I can get used to carrying a 4 layer SAK, which I don't see much of a problem with, then this will become my new EDC :)

Well a year later and this has been the only SAK I have carried. While I often carry other tools along with it, most often a Leatherman PS4, it has been the only SAK in my pocket. The weight and size has never been a problem for me whether wearing shorts, dress pants or jeans. Every tool has been used a number of times and it has saved the day on many occasions. I love this little guy and look forward to our next year together.

Here's a pic next to one of my favorite cigars that I will be smoking later in his honor :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: One SAK for a Year
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:41 AM
That's a fine looking mod mate, I'm glad its still earning its keep :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:11:00 AM
Nice work mate  :tu: Good to hear it's worked so well for you  :salute:

So what's the plans for all the other SAKs you own?  :P
What other tools does it get paired up with?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:15:19 PM
Nice work mate  :tu: Good to hear it's worked so well for you  :salute:

So what's the plans for all the other SAKs you own?
  :P

Giveaway... Giveaway... Giveaway... Giveaway...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Foos

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:00:09 PM
Very cool - which tools do you find get the most use? Do you find yourself wishing it had anything else in particular, like scissors, that a lot of folks like to have in urban settings?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:03:55 PM
Nice SAK and cigar! :tu:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:12:33 PM
Agree, looks like a good selection of tools. I'd have added scissors but you seem to have that covered with the PS4. I don't trust the PS4 scissors too much though as I've had the spring break on them before and it's not as easy fix as on a SAK.

Glad it served you well. :cheers: Did you ever find you'd like the metal saw/file more than the wood saw?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:16:17 PM
while I do like to have scissors on me, I often cover that with something on my keyring.  So that mod looks extremely useful and I could well see it doing duty for a year. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:46 AM

If I'm even remotely thinking I may have to do some real work I usually bring a Crunch and the full LM bit kit, bit extender and a Sawzall hacksaw that can be clamped into the jaws of the Crunch. In the winter, when I'm wearing a jacket, I'll often throw a LM Mini-tool in my pocket, not because of its outstanding tool selection ::) but because of its small size and full size pliers which have come in handy on a few occasions. When I went to our trade show in February I brought a Spirit X which came in handy since we had to cut the ends off of a lot of zip ties. The scissors on the PS4 would have done the job but it was so much easier using the Spirit's scissors. I also lent the Spirit to the guys in the next booth who had a smurf load of cardboard to cut into rather intricate shapes. They used the blade for almost 2 hours and when they gave it back it was still reasonably sharp, wouldn't shave hair though, but only took about 3 minutes back in my hotel room using a DMT Diafold to get it shaving sharp again.

Giveaway... Giveaway... Giveaway... Giveaway...
 :whistle:

I'm thinking I should give away the modded Passenger. Look for a giveaway thread soon :D

Very cool - which tools do you find get the most use? Do you find yourself wishing it had anything else in particular, like scissors, that a lot of folks like to have in urban settings?

The phillips screwdriver and the large blade have probably been used the most. The bottle opener has been used as a pry bar on numerous occasions. Those are definitely the top three. But I have to say the small back layer screwdriver has surprised me with its usefulness. I used it as a tension wrench to pick a lock, it fits the calibration screw on my humidor's hygrometer perfectly, and it has worked well on very recessed phillips screws on children's toys. I find a knife works the best or comparably well for 98.72% of my cutting needs but the unique ability of scissors for those 1.28% of tasks is definitely worth having around. I just don't find the scissors on a 91mm SAK to offer more usefulness than the ones on a PS4 or Style PS. Other than wood and plastic, the saw also was useful when my wife asked me to cut a 4-5 inch diameter cardboard tube in half. The cardboard was probably around 1/4 inch thick and almost as dense as wood. I used the saw to cut around the tube a few times and then when it was thin enough used the blade to finish the cut.

Nice SAK and cigar! :tu:

That cigar was DELICIOUS :D :D :D

Agree, looks like a good selection of tools. I'd have added scissors but you seem to have that covered with the PS4. I don't trust the PS4 scissors too much though as I've had the spring break on them before and it's not as easy fix as on a SAK.

Glad it served you well. :cheers: Did you ever find you'd like the metal saw/file more than the wood saw?

I've had the scissors spring break on two PS4s, one Style PS and my Vic MiniChamp. It's not really a trust question it just seems to happen to these small springs after a certain amount of use. It doesn't bother me though because you can still use the scissors without the spring, albeit not as conveniently. (Just trimmed the end of my hand rolled cigarette using the MiniChamp's scissors which have had a broken spring for months.) I love the metal saw/file on Vics, especially the newest version which can nearly slice your finger if you slide it across parallel to the cutting edge. I just don't have much use for a file on a regular basis that would require anything more than the one on my PS4 or Crunch :-\

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:03 PM
Thanks for the extra info mate  :tu: much appreciated  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Foos

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:46:20 PM
I agree about blades realistically doing 98% of cutting tasks. To me scissors are great, but are mostly just to have a more "friendly" cutting device in public, depending on the setting.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%