Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help needed with a project

styx · 17 · 1919

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Help needed with a project
on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:52 AM
Well I've got another project to do and this time I need some help with the prices of individual parts that make the Vic Classic.
I just require some rough prices for the following:
- single cellidor scale
- toothpick
- tweezers
- nailfile
- scissors
- blade
- keyring
- a single backspring
- the pin that holds it
- metal scale (the part covered with the cellidor scale)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Help needed with a project
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:11 AM
Felinevet Tim would probably have the best info on this one.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:37:25 AM
This could be a tough one.

The prices for keyring, tweezers, toothpick, scales shouldn't be a problem as you can read them from the current Vic dealers catalog. I can send you the link to the Croatian one if you can't find it. But those are retail prices. Are you looking for single part costs for the factory? That could be tricky.

Also "metal scale (the part covered with the cellidor scale)" would be called a liner.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:40:21 AM
I have sent Tim a message. He should be along shortly.

Liners aren't available for sale.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 03:12:08 AM
Get a classic and open it up. Then buy some 1/16 inch brass rod.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:26:51 AM by GigaHz »

Offline jrp316

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:59:58 AM
Get a classic and open it up. Then buy some 1/16 inch brass rod.

+1 for this. Get a few classics and take them to pieces. Apart from the scales, toothpick, tweezers and keyring, the remaining parts aren't available outside of an assembled knife.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 05:18:28 AM
Contact me at fveap@earthlink.net and I will see what I can do.
T

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:43 AM
Considering I was writing this after a few beers no wonder I couldn't remember the word liner. Or to mention that it's a class project for a simulation of an ERP system

GigaHz - that would be a pretty expensive and useless way to ruin a Classic for a minor class project

felinevet - doing that now

thanks for the help people
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:48:38 AM by styx »

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:52:09 AM
You can get a used classic for $5 in the USA. All the parts that you can buy added together would be over $20. The scales alone would be almost $10. You could put the knife back together when done, then you didn't destroy anything.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:15:40 PM by GigaHz »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 01:37:06 PM
+1 to Giga Hz.
Check out ebay -dozens of used Classics for sale - although mainly from US - so watch out for shipping costs
I recently bought a used Classic there for $4 - specifically for this purpose.
I am no modder (yet) but just wanted to pull one apart for a play and to have a look at the workings!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 02:08:46 PM
You're really not getting the part that I need the prices of things on the list I gave not the actual knife as I'm not gonna be modifying it in any way, but rather making a simulation of the production cost by using and developing Enterprise Resource Planning software.

So I'm not in the US, I don't need the price of a used or brand new Classic or the shipping costs, I personally have no need for a Classic so buying one wouldn't give me any answers and would be throwing money away.
While my first post was quite lacking in the actual information and explanation department, I would really appreciate it if you would read and think about what I have said in my second post.
The words simulation and system should indicate that I do not need the physical presence of the object in question.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:39 PM
There are no prices for liners, scissors, nail files, blades or backsprings. These items cannot be bought individually.

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:06 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.
Aren't you a modder? What kind of price would you put on those?

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 02:23:08 PM
$5 gets you a whole knife. About 20 pieces in a classic. So I would guess $.25 a part. But the labor to get all the parts would be more than $5 for me any way. So $.50 minimum per part for me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:30:02 PM by GigaHz »

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 02:51:58 PM
Thanks. That actually helps

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 03:10:29 PM
Cool. This reminds of a company I used to work for. They made the bug sniffers that we sold to the CIA for checking out Embassys in foreign countries. It was pretty cool how it worked. It would send out a RF signal in the GigaHz range. When the signal encountered a silicon junction, like in a transistor or diode, the received RF microwave signal was modified. That is how it knew there was a listening device near. Anyway the price of the parts and labor totaled less than $1500. The CIA paid over $30,000 each for these bug sniffers. After the initial engineering was done, it was a huge profit margin device. I am guessing Victorinox can make a classic for less than $.50.

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 11:01:03 PM
Considering their numbers it could be the case. Even if I go way above what could be expected it should still see a profit margin of 100% of the cost of producing the tool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%