Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool

Yadda · 264 · 46543

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool
on: October 23, 2013, 08:06:10 PM
Okay,  I'll start out by saying I am a Plierench collector.  I have Leathermans, a SAK, lots of knockoffs, a complete set of Re:Solves and Swiss+Tech, but nothing beats the Plierench for sheer collectability.  The selling points for collecting plierenchs:
1 - Easy to locate - fleabay and other places have them all the time
2 - Affordability - any price range from $5 to $100, but most can be bought for under $20 US.
3 - Variety - With 4 different manufacturers, multiple patents, at least 4 styles, 2 sizes and multiple jaws for different tasks including plumbing, pipecutting and welding. You can't ask for more when it comes to collecting. In addition, starting in 1933, they started dating them.  You can actually see the month and year on most versions made through the early 1960's.
4. Usability - Still very useful.  Some people gripe about pinching, but they are using the tool incorrectly. The tool also locks to hold items like a vise.
5. Rarity - The A and B versions are rare.  Some are even famous.  If you could lay your hands on one of the tools that took the 1924 World Flight with documented provenance, it would be very expensive.
6. Merchandising - In addition there is the Eifel Multool - two versions one with a round hole (have only seen pictures and one with a nail puller hole.  lots of booklets and handouts and sales demos if you can find them.  There is also the extremely rare Eifel geared pivot pliers. 
7. Unique - Although there are geared pliers out there today, Knipex and Heyco in particular, they don't compare to the Plierench.
8. Continuity - The tool has been manufactured steadily since  around 1923. 

I have a modest collection.  I will take photos and start posting them this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:11:06 PM by Yadda »
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Re: Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:34:18 AM
This plierench is called the "World Flight" model circa 1925 to 1932ish.
It came with three jaws.  I have two of these.  The text is different sizes and the verbiage is also slightly different.  The third photo is the second version.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 223.27 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 234.35 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 248.75 KB)
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 06:37:31 AM
I've never even seen these before, they are way cool.  Thanks for sharing!   :salute:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:26 AM
This is the one that started the whole obsession.  1950, $6.00 imprint.  Three jaws in the regular set.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 245.32 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 228.24 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 287.48 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:46:32 AM
This is the smaller 7 inch version from 1933.  The second photo is the 7 inch next to  another 8.5 inch  1950, November with the extended pipe jaw.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 233.99 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 235.69 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:55:32 AM
This is a group of later version plierenches from the original Plierench Corp, Vaco and Masterform.

The top wrench is a Masterform #7.  The body of the wrench is wider than the original.  The Vaco on the left is set up with jaw that allows you to push items apart.  The middle is also a Vaco.  The bottom right is a Plierench Corp.

The second photo shos aloe up of the push apart setup.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 247.16 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 204.6 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:57:07 AM
And this is family photo.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 297.39 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:22 AM
Sorry I was away and missed this thread earlier Lyndon. Wow, you've got quite an assortment of Plierenches there! Meanwhile, I've just now finally managed to snag one of the little 7-inchers. :cheers: I've got a few of the 8-1/2 inch size, but this is my first 7. I'll put up a picture of them together soon.

By the way, can't recall if I already asked you this, but do you know when they changed from slanted gear teeth to straight gear teeth on the Plierench? ???

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 05:09:44 AM
Sorry I was away and missed this thread earlier Lyndon. Wow, you've got quite an assortment of Plierenches there! Meanwhile, I've just now finally managed to snag one of the little 7-inchers. :cheers: I've got a few of the 8-1/2 inch size, but this is my first 7. I'll put up a picture of them together soon.

By the way, can't recall if I already asked you this, but do you know when they changed from slanted gear teeth to straight gear teeth on the Plierench? ???

Thanks Bob,  Congrats on the 7 incher.  Everyone should have 7 inches...of Plierench or more!

I don't know when the teeth changed.  I will check mine. I'm spread out enough to narrow it down.   

I discovered several versions of this tool that I didn't know existed so my list of wants has gotten longer.  I'll PM you with a link.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 05:16:35 AM
Uh-oh, more versions? Maybe I don't want to know.... :ahhh :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 05:26:34 AM
Uh-oh, more versions? Maybe I don't want to know.... :ahhh :D

Even worse, they are probably all more rare than unicorns. 

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 06:05:51 AM
This is a recent addition to my collection.  This is a G. H. Nopak Plierench.  The jaws are adapted for some type on insulation installation.  ???

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 221.51 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 207.98 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 04:46:15 AM
Well now that is an odd one! Do you think it was a special order from some manufacturer that needed those specific jaws, or do you think it was made for general sales to the public?

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 05:00:33 AM
Well now that is an odd one! Do you think it was a special order from some manufacturer that needed those specific jaws, or do you think it was made for general sales to the public?

Nopak owns the patents now to produce Plierench.  This was made specifically for installing some sort of fitting.   My photos are not very good.  If the photo was better you could see the small bead weld to prevent removing the jaw.  This one is really heavy.  Looks like an 8.5 inch body with a 7 inch handle.  The Heyco version jaws looks similar.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:02:08 AM by Yadda »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 05:16:58 AM
Wow, a real custom job then. :salute: I'll bet there's not many of those out there, congrats! :cheers:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 05:11:18 AM
 8) collection of Plierenches.   :tu:  I've been looking at hese on ebay for a while and never won one till today. I had other tools that were more important at the time so I never really got serious about. Plus every tool I ever bid on went high for some reason. I won one today so will post some pics when it arrives.  Now I just got a BIN on a 1943 with 3 jaws and case. I really dont need to start a new tool to collect.  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:51:00 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 06:28:35 AM
I'm liking these old (and not so old) Plierenches.   :tu:

I have one with a few different jaws and it is one seriously heavy (and heavy duty) tool.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 05:55:25 PM

I have one with a few different jaws and it is one seriously heavy (and heavy duty) tool.

Greg they do look mighty handy. I'm looking forward to giving them a go.    :)
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:27:44 PM
8) collection of Plierenches.   :tu:  I've been looking at hese on ebay for a while and never won one till today. I had other tools that were more important at the time so I never really got serious about. Plus every tool I ever bid on went high for some reason. I won one today so will post some pics when it arrives.  Now I just got a BIN on a 1943 with 3 jaws and case. I really dont need to start a new tool to collect.  :D

Welcome to the club!    :salute:

They can be quite addicting.  I gave a half serious consideration at one time to collecting one from every month of each year.  That larkish thought quickly evaporated. 

The production years from 1932/33 to around 62 or later were dated.  Considering a run of around 30 years and 12 tools per year even at $10 a tool runs around $3600 and there is no way you would get out that cheap.  I estimate a collection with at least one of each production of just the 8.5 in. version, month/year combo would probably cost around $10K. If you added the 7 inch version you would probably need to go up upwards of $25K since the smaller tools are harder to find and always go for a higher price.  That would not include the A and B versions, the World Flight years which weren't dated and the later versions by Masterform, Vaco and NoPack which are not dated  or the specialty versions made without dates.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:30:51 PM by Yadda »

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 06:52:33 PM
You all are some real Smurfs

I'm going to try find one of these.

I was just going to collect diamond co tools and trimo pipe wrenchs but I am going to make a little room for a pliers wrench in my old tool collection drawer in my tool box.

I don't buy my old tools of evilbay

it might take a lot longer but I enjoy the hunt.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 07:09:34 PM

@gregozedobe
Another club member!   :salute:

The World Flight version is thicker than the later versions after 1933. This makes them much heavier.

Is yours dated (month, year)  or does it have a patent date only?

us Offline David

Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 07:19:36 PM

Welcome to the club!    :salute:

They can be quite addicting.  I gave a half serious consideration at one time to collecting one from every month of each year.  That larkish thought quickly evaporated. 

The production years from 1932/33 to around 62 or later were dated.  Considering a run of around 30 years and 12 tools per year even at $10 a tool runs around $3600 and there is no way you would get out that cheap.  I estimate a collection with at least one of each production of just the 8.5 in. version, month/year combo would probably cost around $10K. If you added the 7 inch version you would probably need to go up upwards of $25K since the smaller tools are harder to find and always go for a higher price.  That would not include the A and B versions, the World Flight years which weren't dated and the later versions by Masterform, Vaco and NoPack which are not dated  or the specialty versions made without dates.

Thank you.    :)

I was just going to collect diamond co tools and trimo pipe wrenchs but I am going to make a little room for a pliers wrench in my old tool collection drawer in my tool box.

Well then Joel, I guess I'd better not show you my Diamond Calk and Horseshoe adjustable wrenches and slip joint pliers.     :D
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:42 PM

@JA
Sorry about that.  :D 

If you are only going to get one try to get the basic set with the three jaws, the straight jaw, the pipe jaw and the wire jaw (for making springs).

There were millions made so it isn't hard to find them if you know what you are seeking.  All too often  the unusual name and look of the tool makes people think they are more rare and worth much more than the going price. 

us Offline David

Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 07:31:48 PM
Here is a Link to the first one I won yesterday. A link to the second one. Can you tell much about the history of these from their pics Lyndon?
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:07 PM
Here is a Link to the first one I won yesterday. A link to the second one. Can you tell much about the history of these from their pics Lyndon?

Hi David,

The first one is the World Flight version named after the 1924 World Flight. Joseph Eifel the inventory used the World Flight to market this version of his tool.  This version was made between 1923/24 and 1932.  You are missing the wire jaw.   FYI,  I talked the seller into relisting this one. Glad to see it has a good home. This also has the E-F Angle Screwdriver which was often sold or given away with these sets. I don't have one yet so I am extremely envious.... 

The second one is from the second later patent. They started making them in 1932/33 and continued into the early 60's, All of the later plierench tools made by Masterform, VACO and NOPAK are modeled on this version. This is the base set with all three jaws.  The expanded set comes with two additional jaws a clip and the handle lock.

us Offline David

Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:02 PM

Hi David,

The first one is the World Flight version named after the 1924 World Flight. Joseph Eifel the inventory used the World Flight to market this version of his tool.  This version was made between 1923/24 and 1932.  You are missing the wire jaw.   FYI,  I talked the seller into relisting this one. Glad to see it has a good home. This also has the E-F Angle Screwdriver which was often sold or given away with these sets. I don't have one yet so I am extremely envious.... 

The second one is from the second later patent. They started making them in 1932/33 and continued into the early 60's, All of the later plierench tools made by Masterform, VACO and NOPAK are modeled on this version. This is the base set with all three jaws.  The expanded set comes with two additional jaws a clip and the handle lock.

Thank you for the information. It's much appericated.
Hold Fast

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 11:32:50 PM

@gregozedobe

The World Flight version is thicker than the later versions after 1933. This makes them much heavier.

I've had mine for a bit over a year now.  I can't see any dates on it.  The markings stamped on it are:

Eifel-Geared Plierench
81/2" - '41 -5 > 10-to-1 $5.00
>Forged Chrom-Molbdnm Alloy<
Pats. Nos. 1181654 1862817
Made in U.S.A. by -
Amer. Plierench Corp'n
Chicago.  Ill.

Locks this way <

NB the ">" and "<" on the second and last lines are actually symbols of arrows with curved tails

The backside is blank except for some initials scrathed on (presumably those of a previous owner).

I have 3 jaws with it.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline David

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 12:21:01 AM
Greg the 41 after the 8 1/2 is the year.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 12:24:51 AM

@gregozedobe

I've had mine for a bit over a year now.  I can't see any dates on it.  The markings stamped on it are:

Eifel-Geared Plierench
81/2" - '41 -5 > 10-to-1 $5.00
>Forged Chrom-Molbdnm Alloy<
Pats. Nos. 1181654 1862817
Made in U.S.A. by -
Amer. Plierench Corp'n
Chicago.  Ill.

Locks this way <

NB the ">" and "<" on the second and last lines are actually symbols of arrows with curved tails

The backside is blank except for some initials scratched on (presumably those of a previous owner).

I have 3 jaws with it.

David is correct.  The 5 after the year is the month.

You have a May(5) 1941 plierench set.  The backside is usually blank after around 1933 or 1934.  Your guess regarding initials is probably correct.  73 years old in May this year.  It saw WWII.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:15 AM
Greg the 41 after the 8 1/2 is the year.

Aha, thank you (my learning experiences continue  :tu:  )

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%