Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool 22064

No Life Club Posts: 1,153
Re: Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2017, 01:00:07 AM »
I've been looking at one as something I would use regularly and keep in the plier pocket of my carpenter's jeans.  Being better at being used as a wrench than my old Vise Grips (which, like LMS always round off the heads of fasteners) and locking really appeals to me.  Used ones (without the extra jaws) are really cheap.

Think it would stand up to farm use? 
No Life Club Posts: 1,978 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2017, 06:40:46 AM »
I've been looking at one as something I would use regularly and keep in the plier pocket of my carpenter's jeans.  Being better at being used as a wrench than my old Vise Grips (which, like LMS always round off the heads of fasteners) and locking really appeals to me.  Used ones (without the extra jaws) are really cheap.

Think it would stand up to farm use?

Yes, the 8.5 version is heavy duty. 

Plierench - 1,000's of uses
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:07 AM »
 Perform a search on the word Plierench using Google.  It may just be me, but this posted String is the first link.   :cheers:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 30,145
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2017, 06:14:09 AM »
It's not just you mate.   :tu:   :tu:
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2017, 04:53:47 AM »
Pretty cool to be at the top of the search list.

New User Posts: 3
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
Okay,  I'll start out by saying I am a Plierench collector.  I have Leathermans, a SAK, lots of knockoffs, a complete set of Re:Solves and Swiss+Tech, but nothing beats the Plierench for sheer collectability.  The selling points for collecting plierenchs:
1 - Easy to locate - fleabay and other places have them all the time
2 - Affordability - any price range from $5 to $100, but most can be bought for under $20 US.
3 - Variety - With 4 different manufacturers, multiple patents, at least 4 styles, 2 sizes and multiple jaws for different tasks including plumbing, pipecutting and welding. You can't ask for more when it comes to collecting. In addition, starting in 1933, they started dating them.  You can actually see the month and year on most versions made through the early 1960's.
4. Usability - Still very useful.  Some people gripe about pinching, but they are using the tool incorrectly. The tool also locks to hold items like a vise.
5. Rarity - The A and B versions are rare.  Some are even famous.  If you could lay your hands on one of the tools that took the 1924 World Flight with documented provenance, it would be very expensive.
6. Merchandising - In addition there is the Eifel Multool - two versions one with a round hole (have only seen pictures and one with a nail puller hole.  lots of booklets and handouts and sales demos if you can find them.  There is also the extremely rare Eifel geared pivot pliers. 
7. Unique - Although there are geared pliers out there today, Knipex and Heyco in particular, they don't compare to the Plierench.
8. Continuity - The tool has been manufactured steadily since  around 1923. 

I have a modest collection.  I will take photos and start posting them this weekend.

Yadda, I've been using Plierenches, since I was about 12 years old.
(That would be 1970.)

Today, I saw a strange looking pair on FleeBay.  So, I looked here.

World Flight pair, and 26 dollars shipped.

So, had to join here and brag.

steve
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2017, 05:29:21 AM »
Okay,  I'll start out by saying I am a Plierench collector.  I have Leathermans, a SAK, lots of knockoffs, a complete set of Re:Solves and Swiss+Tech, but nothing beats the Plierench for sheer collectability.  The selling points for collecting plierenchs:
2 - Affordability - any price range from $5 to $100, but most can be bought for under $20 US.
3 - Variety - With 4 different manufacturers, multiple patents, at least 4 styles, 2 sizes and multiple jaws for different tasks including plumbing, pipecutting and welding. You can't ask for more when it comes to collecting. In addition, starting in 1933, they started dating them.  You can actually see the month and year on most versions made through the early 1960's.
4. Usability - Still very useful.  Some people gripe about pinching, but they are using the tool incorrectly. The tool also locks to hold items like a vise.
5. Rarity - The A and B versions are rare.  Some are even famous.  If you could lay your hands on one of the tools that took the 1924 World Flight with documented provenance, it would be very expensive.
6. Merchandising - In addition there is the Eifel Multool - two versions one with a round hole (have only seen pictures and one with a nail puller hole.  lots of booklets and handouts and sales demos if you can find them.  There is also the extremely rare Eifel geared pivot pliers. 
7. Unique - Although there are geared pliers out there today, Knipex and Heyco in particular, they don't compare to the Plierench.

I have a modest collection.  I will take photos and start posting them this weekend.

(That would be 1970.)

steve

Welcome Steve!  The 'bay is a great place to find Plierenches.   The World Flight version is the quintessential version.  Joseph Eifel at his design and marketing best.  Later versions had more options, but they aren't as aesthetically pleasing or as heavy as the Worl Flight and earlier models. 

Do you have all the jaws?   Photos?

No Life Club Posts: 1,153
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2017, 04:03:11 PM »
This one appears to have a chain breaker tool on it, but I think $85 is high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P...646103:g:bTYAAOSwbtVZPx24
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2017, 02:19:08 AM »

(That would be 1970.)

steve

Welcome Steve!  The 'bay is a great place to find Plierenches.   The World Flight version is the quintessential version.  Joseph Eifel at his design and marketing best.  Later versions had more options, but they aren't as aesthetically pleasing or as heavy as the Worl Flight and earlier models. 

No, just the main jaw.

The World Flight, would that be the Douglas World Flight?

I think I'm the king of multi-tools.
Swiss Army (Victorinox) knife.
Shopsmith 10ER.
and Plierenches.

steve
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »

(That would be 1970.)

steve

No, just the main jaw.

The World Flight, would that be the Douglas World Flight?

Shopsmith 10ER.
and Plierenches.

steve

Yep, one in the same.    https://en.wikipedia.org/...t_aerial_circumnavigation   :D

You certainly have some of the best examples of the most versatile multi tools.   :salute:

« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
This one appears to have a chain breaker tool on it, but I think $85 is high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P...646103:g:bTYAAOSwbtVZPx24

Yeah, I saw that one too.  I agree.  It is unusual, but it isn't $85 unusual. 

« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
Shopsmith 10ER.
and Plierenches.

steve

OK, let me enumerate.

1 Swiss Army knife.
6 Shopsmiths, 5 model 10.
one the old MkVII
Plierenches, currently mine. 3.
And 3 more that I STILL need
to send to Keith Rucker.
(Vintage Machinery dot com.)
Great site, look him up.

(let's see if my mad posting skills
are still good.  It appears that they are.)

steve
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »
My latest acquisition.  1949 Plierench with modified jaws.  I'm not sure how this one was used.  It appears to be made for piercing tubing?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:14:56 PM by Yadda »

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $579.65
PayPal Fees: $34.35
Net Balance: $545.30
Above Goal: $270.30
Site Currency: USD
198% 
June Donations

Community Links