Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool

Yadda · 264 · 46552

Offline skou

Re: Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool
Reply #210 on: September 02, 2017, 09:44:24 AM
"8.5, April 1949.  7, January 1949."
(Quoting me, above.)

Yes, that was a bit cryptic.
the 8 and a half is from April,
the 7 inch is January.

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #211 on: September 02, 2017, 11:38:57 PM
"8.5, April 1949.  7, January 1949."
(Quoting me, above.)

Yes, that was a bit cryptic.
the 8 and a half is from April,
the 7 inch is January.

steve

Naw, I just missed it.   Thank you for posting it again.  Darn close dates.  Probably sold together considering the dates.  Most people split the sets to sell them. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

Offline skou

Reply #212 on: September 08, 2017, 06:57:35 AM
OK, am I the only one who has used a Plierench,
as an implement of bashing?

I've been doing that since 1972 or so.

No, it hasn't hurt the tool(s.)

I think I could beat through a cinder block,
without doing much damage.

Oh, still want to get another "cute" 7 inch
model.

steve
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:59:13 AM by skou »

Offline skou

Reply #213 on: September 16, 2017, 06:19:12 AM
"Oh, still want to get another "cute" 7 inch
model."

Second one arrived today.  Just as cute.

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #214 on: September 17, 2017, 12:48:58 AM
OK, am I the only one who has used a Plierench,
as an implement of bashing?

I've been doing that since 1972 or so.

No, it hasn't hurt the tool(s.)

I think I could beat through a cinder block,
without doing much damage.

Oh, still want to get another "cute" 7 inch
model.

steve

A lot of them have dings because they were used to bang on something.  They can be broken.   I have a broken one sent to me as a gift from Bob.  Some one was using it to wail on something a lot harder.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #215 on: September 17, 2017, 12:51:52 AM
model."

steve

There is a 7 inch set with the canvas bag recently listed on the 'bay.

Offline skou

Reply #216 on: September 25, 2017, 06:57:13 AM
model."

steve

There is a 7 inch set with the canvas bag recently listed on the 'bay.

3 jaws?  White (well, started out white) bag?

Looks like someone took emery cloth to the sides?

If so, it's gone.  Some guy in Arizona got it. :D

steve in Arizona

Offline skou

Reply #217 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:27 AM
I recently acquired a 1922 B version Plierench.  This is one of the more rare versions.  Manufacturing issues at startup were an issue for Joseph Eifel, so plierenches from 1919 to 1922 were made in smaller quantities.  The 1921 and 1922 versions are dated.  Starting in 1923-24 Eifel retooled and ramped up production.  The "World Flight" version of the plierench was manufactured during that time until 1932-33 when Eifel using a new patent, retooled again and increased the number of available jaws from 3 to 6 and added a 7 inch tool as an option to the 8.5 inch tool.  From 1923 to 1932 the tools weren't dated.  Starting in 1933, the tools were dated with last two numbers of the year and the 1 or 2 digit month.

The 1922 B version is distinctive in several ways.  On one side is a screw that allows the user to disasemble the plier head to replace the spring.  This is one of the major indications that you have an earlier version Plierench. 

The imprint running down the handles is one line wide instead of two and there is a line on both sides. On one side is "Guarant'd" on the other side is "Tool Steel".  Both  sides of the plier head are also imprinted, This isn't the case after 1922.   Finally, the jaws are the same as on later versions.  The "pipe" jaw in particular is longer than the attached jaw on the handle.  This is a surprise to me.  I thought all of the jaw sets matched at the top of the tool, but subsequent viewings of several 1922 B Plierenches show the pipe jaw extending slightly above the attached jaw.

Another difference in the sets is the pouch that was issued with these sets.  I don't have one, from this earlier version, but I've seen one. It is a top loading canvas pouch with an additional front pocket for the additional jaws.  There is a belt loop in the back, although even in the early 1900's I can't imagine too many people carried this around on their belts.

As usual my photos are rather smurfy, but you get the idea. 

This tool is in great shape.  It may have been cleaned, but it looks almost new with just a little surface rust on the interior portions of the pliers.  For 82 years it has held up well.

There WAS another of these on the "bay."

Notice the "was?"

$18, and $7 shipping

Yadda, will later jaws fit this one?

This will be my ONLY "collection" plierench.
All the others are tools, and will be treated
as such.

steve
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:23:54 AM by skou »

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #218 on: September 25, 2017, 10:18:53 PM
I recently acquired a 1922 B version Plierench.  This is one of the more rare versions.  Manufacturing issues at startup were an issue for Joseph Eifel, so plierenches from 1919 to 1922 were made in smaller quantities.  The 1921 and 1922 versions are dated.  Starting in 1923-24 Eifel retooled and ramped up production.  The "World Flight" version of the plierench was manufactured during that time until 1932-33 when Eifel using a new patent, retooled again and increased the number of available jaws from 3 to 6 and added a 7 inch tool as an option to the 8.5 inch tool.  From 1923 to 1932 the tools weren't dated.  Starting in 1933, the tools were dated with last two numbers of the year and the 1 or 2 digit month.

The 1922 B version is distinctive in several ways.  On one side is a screw that allows the user to disasemble the plier head to replace the spring.  This is one of the major indications that you have an earlier version Plierench. 

The imprint running down the handles is one line wide instead of two and there is a line on both sides. On one side is "Guarant'd" on the other side is "Tool Steel".  Both  sides of the plier head are also imprinted, This isn't the case after 1922.   Finally, the jaws are the same as on later versions.  The "pipe" jaw in particular is longer than the attached jaw on the handle.  This is a surprise to me.  I thought all of the jaw sets matched at the top of the tool, but subsequent viewings of several 1922 B Plierenches show the pipe jaw extending slightly above the attached jaw.

Another difference in the sets is the pouch that was issued with these sets.  I don't have one, from this earlier version, but I've seen one. It is a top loading canvas pouch with an additional front pocket for the additional jaws.  There is a belt loop in the back, although even in the early 1900's I can't imagine too many people carried this around on their belts.

As usual my photos are rather smurfy, but you get the idea. 

This tool is in great shape.  It may have been cleaned, but it looks almost new with just a little surface rust on the interior portions of the pliers.  For 82 years it has held up well.

There WAS another of these on the "bay."

Notice the "was?"

$18, and $7 shipping

Yadda, will later jaws fit this one?

This will be my ONLY "collection" plierench.
All the others are tools, and will be treated
as such.

steve

Hi Steve,   Great buy!  I saw that one.  Later jaws do not fit the 21 and 22 models. Now you need a 21A.  It is an 8 incher with smooth handles. 

Offline skou

Reply #219 on: September 28, 2017, 05:03:31 AM
Got the 22-B today, here's an interesting tidbit.

7 inch accessory jaws (wire and pipe) will fit.

steve

us Offline cap241

• New User
Reply #220 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:13 PM
I saw on another forum a letter from Mr Eifel as an example of a rude (depression era) correspondence.

In that letter Mr. Eifel talks about a plierench "demonstrating block and ball" and asks that it be returned.

I have a demo block and ball in my modest plierench collection. Pictured below is the demo block the "ball" is visible attached to the top of the block. I can post a better picture if anyone is interested.

I've never seen another one.
plierench accessories low res.jpg
* plierench accessories low res.jpg (Filesize: 64.18 KB)
plierench joined.jpg
* plierench joined.jpg (Filesize: 168.77 KB)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:06:13 PM by cap241 »

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #221 on: October 18, 2017, 01:55:39 AM
I saw on another forum a letter from Mr Eifel as an example of a rude (depression era) correspondence.

In that letter Mr. Eifel talks about a plierench "demonstrating block and ball" and asks that it be returned.

I have a demo block and ball in my modest plierench collection. Pictured below is the demo block the "ball" is visible attached to the top of the block. I can post a better picture if anyone is interested.

I've never seen another one.

Wow! Cap you've been holding out on me!.  This is the first separate block I have seen.  I have seen a sales kit box on the 'bay.  It was missing the brass corners and other bits.  It went for way more than it was worth to me for the fair condition.  How are the bolt heads held in place?  What is the difference in the bottom two bolt heads?  Additional pictures would be great!

I've seen the letter before.  Eifel was a salesman at heart.  Having his business survive the Great Depression, it appears he was driven to hustle for every sale possible.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:59:11 AM by Yadda »

us Offline cap241

• New User
Reply #222 on: October 18, 2017, 02:56:35 AM
Yadda - I've never tinkered with it. My father was a plierench fan big time he had several of them in the 1950s. I remember seeing this block and him telling me it was for demonstrating plierench uses. It was in beautiful condition back then with a shiny chrome ball on top... It seemed odd because I thought putting the tool to it would scratch it. I'll look at it closer and take some pictures.

OK I have pictures now. The middle one is a big nut & bolt through the wood. The ones on either side are screwed into holes threaded in the wood. The  chrome ball is brazed onto a brass(?) pipe inserted into a hole with a set-screw through the threaded wood and into a (threaded) hole in the pipe.

I can't imagine what the ball is supposed to demonstrate except for an interesting way to insert and turn the pipe to line up with the threaded hole in the wood. I used to wonder if the plierench was to grip the ball and turn, but obviously not with a set-screw in it.
Eifel Demo 1.JPG
* Eifel Demo 1.JPG (Filesize: 242.23 KB)
Eifel Demo 2.JPG
* Eifel Demo 2.JPG (Filesize: 250.7 KB)
Eifel Demo 3.JPG
* Eifel Demo 3.JPG (Filesize: 270.35 KB)
Eifel Demo 4.JPG
* Eifel Demo 4.JPG (Filesize: 230.4 KB)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:18:16 AM by cap241 »

us Offline cap241

• New User
Reply #223 on: October 18, 2017, 03:03:30 PM
It seems like a overly simplified demo piece, but actually when you hold the block in one hand it demonstrates the parallel jaws of the plierench quite well they probably carried a "regular" pliers to show the contrast. Another element of the demonstration, I think, was to fold a (copper) penny in half and half again something almost impossible with a common pliers.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #224 on: October 19, 2017, 02:19:12 AM
It seems like a overly simplified demo piece, but actually when you hold the block in one hand it demonstrates the parallel jaws of the plierench quite well they probably carried a "regular" pliers to show the contrast. Another element of the demonstration, I think, was to fold a (copper) penny in half and half again something almost impossible with a common pliers.

The ball is probably to show the Plierench's gripping power.  Advertisements in the 50's show the Plierench holding onto a Steel ball at the end of a chain and a pretty Plierench Girl sitting in a swing suspended from the plier handle.  Thank you for the photos. Very cool!

us Offline cap241

• New User
Reply #225 on: October 20, 2017, 03:33:56 PM
Interesting ! That sounds logical about the ball on the end. Can you post the picture of the Plierench girl sitting on the swing?

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #226 on: October 21, 2017, 01:52:36 AM
Interesting ! That sounds logical about the ball on the end. Can you post the picture of the Plierench girl sitting on the swing?

Hi Cap,  I'll try to dig it up.

Offline skou

Reply #227 on: May 31, 2018, 06:45:15 AM
First one like this I've ever seen and with a push from a friend down under, I made the plunge.
I must protest this outrageous slander on my good name !  It was a teeny tiny nudge, at most  :pok:  :D   ;)

With a really sharp stick over 2,000 miles long.... :rofl:

2000 miles?  How about 12000 miles.

steve

Offline Pushr0d

• New User
Reply #228 on: July 16, 2018, 10:43:11 PM
Hello All!

First post on the MT forum - I found a treasure at a recent yard sale, and am trying to determine what version of it I have.  Obviously it is a Plierench, but the only image I've found of a similarly marked piece had a hole drilled in it, on the unlabeled side.  It is approximately halfway between the wire cutter 'body pin' and the top of the plate.  Mine has no hole there.

Mine was used as a hammer, more than once.  No other jaws, no bag. It appears to have a spring on the jaw side, but it doesn't appear to do anything.  Maybe a retainer for the removable jaw pin?

Anyway, I couldn't resist buying it out of the big rubbermaid bucket of rusty tools it was in.  I'm thinking of hanging it on my shop wall under my brace and bit/auger 'display', next to my oil can spout.

What version is it?

Cheers!

Pr
Plierrench Front.jpg
* Plierrench Front.jpg (Filesize: 80.18 KB)
Plierrench Back.jpg
* Plierrench Back.jpg (Filesize: 86.27 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #229 on: July 17, 2018, 01:58:22 AM
Hello All!

First post on the MT forum - I found a treasure at a recent yard sale, and am trying to determine what version of it I have.  Obviously it is a Plierench, but the only image I've found of a similarly marked piece had a hole drilled in it, on the unlabeled side.  It is approximately halfway between the wire cutter 'body pin' and the top of the plate.  Mine has no hole there.

Mine was used as a hammer, more than once.  No other jaws, no bag. It appears to have a spring on the jaw side, but it doesn't appear to do anything.  Maybe a retainer for the removable jaw pin?

Anyway, I couldn't resist buying it out of the big rubbermaid bucket of rusty tools it was in.  I'm thinking of hanging it on my shop wall under my brace and bit/auger 'display', next to my oil can spout.

What version is it?

Cheers!

Pr

Oh boy, oh boy a question for Me!!!!  Quite possibly the best first post ever!!!

You did find an almost 95 year old treasure! You'll have to share the princely sum you paid.  You should cross post this in the Car Boots thread....

You have a 1923-24 era World Flight version of the world famous Eifel Plierench.  It appears to have straight gears? If the gears are angled the it is a late 1924- 31 World Flight version. It could have been sold by itself or as a set with three jaws in canvas sheath.

Many of them were used as hammers.  I have one (later lighter model) that is cracked due to such abuse. The spring does hold the jaw in place.  I'll try to get a photo of the user manual showing how it works.   The one you saw with the hole was probably missing a retaining pin that holds the head together or it was an earlier model (1921 or 1922) missing the screw.

Check out the rest of this thread for more info.

Regards,
Yadda
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:10:46 AM by Yadda »

Offline Pushr0d

• New User
Reply #230 on: July 17, 2018, 03:52:54 PM
Yadda,

Thanks for the response!

This one looks to have straight 'gear' teeth.

Here is a link to the eBay piece I mentioned with the additional hole: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-EIFEL-FLASH-PLIERENCH-PAT-5-2-16-1916-FLASHSL-039-S-CN-CHICAGO-Plier-Wrench-/173378121309?hash=item285e242e5d%3Ag%3APW4AAOSwqoRbLuNr&_nkw=plierench&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&nma=true&si=uRkMdnjwk7ACMI4swNO4KKN6WCs%253D&orig_cvip=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I bought the tool with a couple other odds and ends, but the seller had a $6.00 tag on it - I didn't pay that much.

Hopefully it's worth more than that, but unless someone needs it for their collection, it goes on my 'weird wall'.

Identifying these pliers was a lot easier than what I went through figuring out what I had bought a while back.  That piece turned out to be a battery terminal puller!

Pr

Offline MyNameIsNotTodd

• New User
Reply #231 on: November 26, 2019, 12:20:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zsCc0IL.jpg

How would one restore this as a working tool and not a collectable? Acetone bath and off the shelf tool lubricant?

Pliers work. I'd just like to know what viscosity oil to use for smoother operation (I have air tool oil laying around and it's not up to the job).

Ty

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #232 on: November 27, 2019, 03:13:40 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zsCc0IL.jpg

How would one restore this as a working tool and not a collectable? Acetone bath and off the shelf tool lubricant?

Pliers work. I'd just like to know what viscosity oil to use for smoother operation (I have air tool oil laying around and it's not up to the job).

Ty

Hi Ty,

You have one of the oldest models. Your tool was made in 1922 so it is 97 years old.

Your tool can be disassembled using the screw, but if it works I wouldn't go that far. It should work fine without restoration.  If you want to remove the rust, vinegar or rust remover should work fine.  I've never used acetone. Lubrication? Use silicone grease or 3-in-1 oil. There is a video on You Tube showing a Plierench restoration.  I'll try to find and post the link.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #233 on: November 28, 2019, 02:45:53 AM
https://youtu.be/EmnEzo6vQDA

Restoration video link.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #234 on: November 29, 2019, 07:24:19 AM
Cool video Y!    :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #235 on: December 01, 2019, 10:24:26 PM
John is great!! He's got an eye for tools, he's always showing something different or interesting. Thanks for sharing Yadda!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #236 on: December 02, 2019, 04:42:23 AM
Than you Gentlemen.   :hatsoff:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #237 on: June 20, 2020, 11:48:24 PM
A group shot of my collection.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #238 on: June 21, 2020, 01:15:38 AM
Wow !    :o   Awesome collection you have Yadda    :like: :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #239 on: June 21, 2020, 04:59:28 AM
Very impressive !!!   :salute:   :hatsoff:   :o
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%