Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stanley Promotional Gift Multitool

nelson · 15 · 4230

gb Offline nelson

on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:35 PM
Mmmmm how to word this without affecting my chances of promotion?

These tools were given as a gift to European Stanley employees. As it was free, I guess it fits right into the Cheap and Cheerful section.

It's about the 3" tall when closed with the usual selection of tools packed in.

The plier head isn't badly formed and has no looseness...

..but the drivers have either been badly formed or rounded off during a buffing process.

The blue anodised finish would be a little garish for me, but I guess it would stand out on a sales rack. It came in a really nice cardboard box :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Stanley Promotional Gift Multitool
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:09:28 PM
Do you work for Stanley?  :D

These tools also crop up with a number of different brand names from time to time.  I've seen them in a number of different colors too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:52 AM
I hope stanley has asked for beter than average quality on this, to keep up with its name.

As for the polished drivers, they are a common occurence in these, lower cost, multitools.. for some reason.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:25 PM
The quality of the Phillips driver is almost always a good barometer of the quality of the rest of the tool in my experience. :-\  IIRC Snap-on, an excellent tool maker, seemed happy to slap their name on a very low grade MT. :facepalm:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 05:05:34 PM
Oooh, that one looks positively yucky Nelson. :D Still, it would probably serve better than nothing at all in a pinch. :salute:

"It came in a really nice cardboard box" is a telling sort of a compliment :D :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:46:58 PM
Stanley seems to have a bit of a history with these multitool type in house gifts.  This is the one I have:

It's a neat little tool, but very strange.  Usually you can pick out the really bad cheapos by the misshapen Phillips or the lumpy scissors, but in this case it's hard to tell since tehre are no tools inside.

It still qualifies as a multitool though, since it has folding pliers, a watch and a ruler on the back.

It is quite well built though, for a cheapo.  But then, there's not a lot of parts to this one to waste effort on!

While I'm sure there were more of these made, I only know of the existence of three of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nelson

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:24 PM
That's quite a bizarre little tool, I wonder what the thought behind it was.
Certainly worth having in a collection tho :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:13:30 AM
No idea what they were thinking.  Probably just trying to take advantage of the golden age of multi tools.

Def

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:43 AM
A very strange tool in deed.
If the watch had been turned upside down(so the dials would be readable with the watch standing on the desk)  it would make a pretty cool promotional desk watch.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 12:49:26 PM
Well now, that's the issue isn't it?  :D

The designers of these tools don't put any kind of after sale thought into these things.  They don't consider how it is to be used or how functional it should be, they just think "oh, let's make one with a watch and sell that too."

Of course that hole in the handle is for a keychain, so when hung up the watch would be the right side up, and that's probably what they were thinking, if indeed they put any thought into it at all.

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 06:40:52 PM
Stanley seems to have a bit of a history with these multitool type in house gifts.  This is the one I have:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a neat little tool, but very strange.  Usually you can pick out the really bad cheapos by the misshapen Phillips or the lumpy scissors, but in this case it's hard to tell since tehre are no tools inside.

It still qualifies as a multitool though, since it has folding pliers, a watch and a ruler on the back.

It is quite well built though, for a cheapo.  But then, there's not a lot of parts to this one to waste effort on!

While I'm sure there were more of these made, I only know of the existence of three of them.

Def

My Stanley plier-watch arrived today, and it is quite well made for something so non-functional.
  However, if you think the plier-watch is bad, check out these watch-tool creations.  I think the Stanley design guys must have been smoking some pretty powerful waccy 'baccy when they thought these up  :facepalm:

http://www.coolhunting.com/tech/stanley-wristwa.php

But wait, there's more of the crazy things:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wide/item/5181/

And I've just ordered a "Stanley Wrist Watch with Screwdriver Set" from here:

http://watch.brando.com/stanley-wrist-watch-with-screwdriver-set_p00258c013d001.html

I'll let you know what I think of it IF it turns up  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:58:52 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 07:04:08 PM
what were they thinking? :doh:  Seem destined for the 'present' market to me; that is where someone see one languishing on a shelf and thinks "that would make a nice present for....." ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 07:35:15 PM

http://i253.photobucket.c...%20Tools/Stanley/Open.jpg

Def

My Stanley plier-watch arrived today, and it is quite well made for something so non-functional.
  However, if you think the plier-watch is bad, check out these watch-tool creations.  I think the Stanley design guys must have been smoking some pretty powerful waccy 'baccy when they thought these up  :facepalm:

http://www.coolhunting.co.../tech/stanley-wristwa.php

But wait, there's more of the crazy things:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wide/item/5181/

http://watch.brando.com/s...r-set_p00258c013d001.html

Will that be your every day watch or something for classier occasions? :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 08:22:20 PM
Welcome to a very exclusive club!

You are correct, the watch and pliers are indeed decent quality and there could have been some potential there.

Regardless of what it was or could have been, it is remarkably cool.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool now Free

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 01:51:19 AM

http://watch.brando.com/s...r-set_p00258c013d001.html

Will that be your every day watch or something for classier occasions? :D

I have a sneaking suspicion it may end up keeping company with the rest of my shelf queens.  But if I can get hold of the "vise" version that would be so useful so much of the time I might be tempted to wear that one 24/7  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  (confession time: I've started the ordering process for the vise version as well  :-[ )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%