Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Perfect Multitool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Perfect Multitool
on: August 29, 2006, 10:04:53 PM
Finding a "perfect" tool is pretty hard- each one has strengths and weaknesses over each of the others, and that's great because it means that you can always find a tool that really works for you, or at least for a specific purpose.
Unfortunately, I like a balance.  For a tool to be most worthwhile for me, it has to perform EVERYTHING well, and the closest to that dream for me so far would be the Spirit.  However, the Spirit is still missing a few things that I'd like to have, so starting from scratch, this is what I'd like to see in my "perfect" multitool:

Pliers- Gotta start with either the robust head of the SwissTool or the blunted and virtually indestructable head of the Wenger SwissGrip, although with the compound leverage feature of the PowerLock.

Handles- Spirit all the way....

Tool Locking Mechanism- Spirit/SwissTool

Metal Saw- Leatherman Diamond file/saw, only preferably a little thinner.  The diamond file is awesome, but it's a little thick to try to cut with.

Wood Saw- Wenger SwissGrip, because it's HUGE!

Main Blade- Toss up between the large liner locking clip point of the Wenger and the "razor" type sheepsfoot on the Spirit.  I like a big blade, but the sheepsfoot gives you the most edge, and what do you need a point for on a tool blade?  Not likely to be poking anything...  Of course, adding in the OH feature of the Wave would be a serious bonus too.

Scissors- Leatherman's folding scissors like the ones on the PST II, or the huge ones on the PowerLock, only turned around so that they aren't blocked by the opposite handle

Awl- Spirit again as it is a handy awl and it integrates the hook, which comes in handy when you least expect it

Can Opener- Victorinox again, since it incorporates the teeny screwdriver.  Of course, so does SOG and a few others, so any tool using that style is fine.

Bottle Opener- Victorinox again, for the bigger screwdriver, but otherwise same as above.

That's pretty much about it.  What does everyone else think they would need in a "perfect" multitool?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Perfect Multitool
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:17:01 PM
I think you've pretty much covered it for me.

I initially thought I wouldn't like the serrated razor-style blade of the Spirit, but since I always have a plain-edge SAK handy, it makes for another available tool, and a very good one at that.  I'm satisfied with the scissors on the Spirit even though they don't open very wide, but I agree with you that the saw is a bit too short.  Functional, yes, but too small in comparison to the 111mm Vics or the Wenger Century series.

The Spirit is my one and only plier-based multitool (besides my new Gerber Clutch ;) ) for a good reason.  I've not found another tool yet that fits my needs as well as it does.
- Terry

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:13:22 PM
Gotta have a clip in style sheath like the Juice models.Only better in kydex, or one of the old heavy duty Leatherman style sheaths
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:04:35 AM

The perfect multitool has to have a lanyard attachment hole at the very end of the handle.  I installed a 3/4 inch split ring on my multitools to serve as a handle.  The split ring makes it easy to remove the tool from its holster using one finger.
multitool-split-rings.jpg
* multitool-split-rings.jpg (Filesize: 54.58 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline space cowboy

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 08:34:32 AM
That split ring idea is really cool... going to try it out on my Original Leatherman! Also, Defender covered all the bases really well but, I am an infrequent user of Multi Tools so the LM gets me by ok....for now.

Offline ac5

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:03:43 PM
Perfect tool for me is the Swiss tool rs with Leatherman charge ti as a close second. Perfect large sak is the fireman but with a phillips instead of the damn corkscrew.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 12:22:48 AM
While I generally wear my multis in a belt sheath I really like the option of a pocket clip. While I am not the biggest LM fan, I do appreciate the removable pocket clip on my Charge XTi.
T

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 04:56:03 AM
As of now the swiss tool is pretty close to perfect for me

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00