Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best victorinox to buy?

Poll

i do not own a victorinox, and i dont no jack about them.

swisstool
4 (14.3%)
swisstool x
3 (10.7%)
swisstool rs
1 (3.6%)
spirit
4 (14.3%)
spirit x
13 (46.4%)
spirit plus
2 (7.1%)
swisstool cs
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: November 02, 2013, 04:23:37 AM

Offline Kingcollin

Best victorinox to buy?
on: October 28, 2013, 04:23:37 AM
the comments I made on  the leatherman forum got people upset so im going to buy a victorinox. i was just having fun and trying to get a discussion going, but now i plan to buy one so if you could please explain why you chose the tool!  :tu: :tu: :tu:

fr Offline MrToolTest

Re: Best victorinox to buy?
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:24 AM
I have a Swisstool for one year! It is the most solid of Multitools for me!
Swiss quality =  :tu:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:15 PM
I love myRS :multi:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:53:32 PM
Can't you show the results? :rant: :twak:
Leatherman

Magic Bus

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:56:34 PM
I love Vic serrations, they work really well and are dead easy to sharpen on a Sharpmaker. So I would suggest one of the Swisstools with a serrated blade or the standard Spirit with the butterknife blade and pair it with a folder.  Personally I have a std. Swisstool and think highly of it.  :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:19:30 PM
the comments I made on  the leatherman forum got people upset so im going to buy a victorinox. i was just having fun and trying to get a discussion going, but now i plan to buy one so if you could please explain why you chose the tool!  :tu: :tu: :tu:

.... the one that best suits your needs :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline macabee

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 01:27:10 PM
There are Multitool's and there are Multitool's.

However although I have a variety of Leatherman/SOG/Gerber Multitool's I still consider the SwissTool etc Multitool's the very best, in terms of quality and functionality :multi:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:44:34 PM
I'm pretty sure they used a Victorinox to cut my umbilical cord.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:54:55 PM
There are all good. Just really come down to what you want. Some has two blades and no scissors. Some with scissors and one blade. Heads up, the scissors on the spirit are more like shears than scissors. The swisstool and spirit have great fit and finish and made very well, but still like leatherman and lately Sog  better. Vics Multics are just to slippery when wet, oily and greasy. It there Swiss army knives that I think shine the brightest.
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 01:58:23 PM
I voted for the Spirit,and have two SwissTools as well.

FnF on these tools far exceeds any other manufacturer,with high density tool loads. The Spirit got the vote as it's the more pocketable tool for urban carry. One of the SwissTools lives in my bug out kit!

Oh,and don't forget a SAK or three... You need a Farmer,a SwissChamp and a SuperTinker  :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 02:06:26 PM
Where I am the Swisstool Spirit S cost me 62 euros, with a pouch. The leatherman I was contemplating was twice that, without being superior in any way I could detect.
The appearance of the Swisstool put me off initially - curves sides? But you get used to it, and it is such a beautiful tool in person I wouldn't swap it for anything.

I've just got a Swisstool RT as a present for someone -- 110 euros. I'm looking at it, wondering if I should't just give them a $5 bottle of wine instead.

Whatever -- I don't think anyone ever regretted buying a Spirit.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 02:10:52 PM
I vote for the standard SwissTool.  I like having the PE and SE blades, and I find using scissors of larger MT's a little awkward.  I'd rather carry a SAK with scissors, much easier to use IMHO.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 02:21:56 PM
I voted for the Spirit,and have two SwissTools as well.

FnF on these tools far exceeds any other manufacturer,with high density tool loads. The Spirit got the vote as it's the more pocketable tool for urban carry. One of the SwissTools lives in my bug out kit!

Oh,and don't forget a SAK or three... You need a Farmer,a SwissChamp and a SuperTinker  :pok:
And a Ct41, a ct34 and huntsman and classic and a............
Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 03:03:36 PM
I vote for the Spirit X.  Best is very subjective, but personally, I like it more than all other leatherman and swisstool tools that I owned.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 03:23:11 PM
Spirit X , will do 95% of what a Swisstool will do , much nicer to carry .

Chris

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 05:57:37 PM
I voted Spirit X, and if you can, pony up the extra money for the ratchet and bit set to go with it.

I have an original SwissTool, and it is quite big; I like the curve to the handles on the Spirit.

Don't get one without a scissors, whatever you get.

Something else to consider if you don't need the weight and heavy duty pliers is a Workchamp SAK. Great tool set, and much lighter than a plier-based tool.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 06:40:33 PM
I voted for the regular Spirit, as that's the one I have.  Like others, I pair it with a SAK for the plain edge blade, and have the Spirits butterblade in case I need the serrations.  Excellent multitool, as are any of your choices.  I would say a big factor is how bulky/heavy of a tool you prefer to carry.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:22 PM
glad to see you are getting one to see if all the hype is well founded in your situation.
2 blades or 1 blade and scissors, larger brother or smaller brother, bluntish pliers or needle nose, all influenced by your intended use however i will say get a plus kit for sure. the ratchet/bit set is very nice and while i have several cheap kits very similar, the Vic set carries quite well along with the MT in their provided sheath. 

I the standard Swiss tool x 3 and love it.  im not a huge scissor used and always seem t have a SAK with scissors near by.  I have the spirit with the butter blade and i like it tho the scissors is not a good as my CT 34 or Explorer Plus ones.
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Kingcollin

Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 08:17:44 PM
Big or small doesn't bother me at all I carry a surge and a charge. And I always carry a style cs on me so scissors don't matter too much, that's why I just wanted to see what the majority of users prefer so I can get the very best one they offer ! :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 08:27:33 PM
You can't go wrong with any of them. It just depends on your tool preference. That's the only difference between them. A blade or scissors on one model or the other. And the addition of the ratchet. No actual differences in materials used or fit and finish. Choose the one that would best suit your needs.

Looking forward on your thoughts when you get it and use it. I think you might have a change of heart in that whole Vic vrs LM thingie. ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 08:40:51 PM
Big or small doesn't bother me at all I carry a surge and a charge. And I always carry a style cs on me so scissors don't matter too much, that's why I just wanted to see what the majority of users prefer so I can get the very best one they offer ! :tu:

hmm ok so i have always liked the look of the Spirit RT and the Spirit S version ( my personal fav )with 2 blades then a coin toss and either would be outstanding for the smaller bother and for the larger brother another coin toss for the Standard Swisstool or the RS just get the plus kit and you are set.   
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Schneider

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 05:33:31 PM
So which one did you buy and how do you like it? :pok:

Offline Kingcollin

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 03:52:33 AM
I ended up getting the spirit plus! And I'm very impressed, definitely smother than my leatherman but I have to say my favorite multitool is the rebar, because is just feels, and looks so tough! But the plus is very close

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 04:18:51 AM
I do love my Vic MTs but I too am back to LM for work and off day carry.  I got a Surge and honestly there is no looking back for work carry.  The Spirit is a sexy beast tho and I'll take it when I'm off and want a capable yet gorgeous carry option. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD