Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What swiss army knife to compliment my multitool?

Offline hurricane bob

What swiss army knife to compliment my multitool?
on: December 19, 2006, 04:25:31 AM
Hello guys, and gals,

What swiss army knife would be good to carry along with my Leatherman Charge?

I want a basic type model that's not too big, but of good quality. I would like one with a large, and small cutting blade, toothpick, and tweezers at the least, that would fit comfortably in my front pants pocket.

Are all the Wenger, and Victorinox tools (red handles) the same quality. I mean is one of the more expensive tools with a bunch of implements of the same quality as one of the more basic tools? For example is a $50. tool the same quality as a $15. tool, just the $50. tool has more implements?

How big are the locking blade models compared to the standard models? I was watching Man vs. Wild when he had a large Swiss army knife that he was using to make snowshoes and that knife (black handle, but had the swiss  cross) looked absolutely enormous. Was that a locking blade model or something special?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What swiss army knife to compliment my multitool?
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:25:24 PM
Wow, alot of ground to cover here!  First off I'd suggest you check out some of the articles and reviews on www.sosakonline.com for some basic information. 

The larger tools (SwissChamp, ToolChest Plus etc) all use exactly the same components as the smaller ones, so yes, the quality is there, and the difference in price is based on the number of extra implements.

The standard Victorinox models are 91mm, although they also come in sizes ranging from 58mm (Classic, Keyring size), 74mm (Ambassadoer, Executive, also key chain-able but a little bigger), 84mm (great small pocket Knife), 100mm (mostly specialized gardening knives), 108mm (discontinued a few years ago- supported by a military contract that has since expired) and the large models at 111mm.

Wenger is somewhat more simplified with their keychain size (63mm), their standard (85mm) and their large models (120mm).

Unfortunately I have to run off to work now, but if no one else chimes in I'll give more info when I get home tonight.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:51:37 PM
Bob,

From what you list as necessaries, a basic Victorinox Recruit model will fit the bill.  That gives you both the blades, screwdriver/cap lifter, can opener/screwdriver, tooth pick and tweezers.

If you move up a step to the Vic Tinker, the backside adds a Phillips screwdriver and an awl.

The SuperTinker adds scissors.

Any of them are very affordable and available through many sources.

Happy hunting!

Offline colubrid

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:25:24 PM
I like tyhe soldier. I know a lot of Vic guys prefer this model.

Offline plowboy

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:27:30 PM
I really like the OH Trekker and the Locksmith.  These are fairly large though.  Both have liners that block the blade from accidental closing.

My favorite, however, is the Electricain Plus (I like having a wood saw in my SAKs).  The Electrician Plus is a 91mm Alox model that has two cutting blades (large and small), and the other basic tools that the Alox line tends to have.

The Alox models are fairly stought too.

Honestly, I usually carry a non-SAK folder that has only one locking blade with my multi.  But, SAKs are sure fine knives and I do carry them often and like them a lot.

:)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 07:23:25 PM
There are so many models of different sizes and tool combinations that you will be one lucky guy if you get the right one that suits you first time  ( or unlucky if you look at it like that as you would only end up owning one  ;)) . You could start with a Vic Climber , see how you get on with it then go bigger/smaller if you need too . Lets be real here , after you have got your first one your gonna want more .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 11:27:21 PM
Now that I am not late for work, I will try to get back to what I was saying earlier.  The ALOX models, while nice (very nice!) don't fit the requirements since they don't have toothpicks or tweezers.  Also, since you have the Charge, you probably don;t need any heavy duty tools as the Charge is pretty robust, so I would actually suggest something more compact like the Executive, in the 74mm series.  Its small enough to fit on a keychain or in a watch pocket but has a decent array of tools.  And the tools are a fair size for such a small knife. 

Two blades, toothpick, tweezers, and fits unnoticeably into the watch pocket of jeans or nicely into the pocket of a pair of slacks.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 12:24:27 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys. I'm a little bit dizzy after reading it all. I'm heading off to Lowe's in about an hour to buy some more Xmas lights, so I'm going to check out what models they have.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 04:12:54 AM
Not knowing a dang thing about Swiss Army Knives myself, I'm reading the replies here with a bit of interest.

Question: Why don't any of you SAK-heads talk much about Wengers? Those new Evo knives look like they would be something to consider, no?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:21 PM
I have had a few Evo Wengers and while the handles look a little funky, they are actually quite comfortable to use.  That really surprized me. 

Wenger now has improved on that with their new EvoGrip, which is a similar scale, only with (I think) neoprene inserts.  I have one of those en route and I'll let you know what they are like when they arrive.

Wenger has often taken a back seat to Victorinox since they weren't marketed as aggressively as Victorinox in North America.  Unfortunately they now are seen as "second rate" SAKs, despite their being every bit as good as Victorinox. 

Personally, I think Wengers are great, and I really like the fact that they tend to be more "adventurous" with their designs.

Def

Offline plowboy

Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 04:40:43 PM
I have an Evo (forget the model), but usually don't carry it since the one I have has no saw and only one blade.  All in all, however, I really like the feel of the Evo better than a red Vic.  The handle design, IMO, is much better than Vic.  The little carry that the Evo had in my pocket suggests that it is similar in quality to Vic.

:)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:31:22 PM
Def,

Which Evogrip do you have on order?  I like that 557.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 07:55:04 PM
I also see that some of the better Wengers have locking blade & screwdriver - nice.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 08:55:25 PM
Def,

Which Evogrip do you have on order?  I like that 557.

(Image removed from quote.)

I dunno- it's actually a suprise, believe it or not!  It's being sent to me by Wenger North America for review on SOSAKOnline.

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 09:48:05 PM
The only place I can find to order the Evogrip is at swiss-knife.com.  Are there any others that carry this?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 09:57:19 PM
You should be able to purchase it through www.wengerna.com which is Wenger's North American office.

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 09:58:23 PM
They don't show any of the Evogrips for sale there.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 10:02:51 PM
Odd... I'll have to check with Wenger and see what's up with that.  I'll let you know what happens...

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 10:04:15 PM
Def, do you or anyone else have experience with swiss-knife.com?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:04 PM
I personally haven't, but many of the guys in SOSAK have dealt with swiss-knife.com and have been pleased.  They have a good reputation.

Def

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:37:08 AM
I bought the Victorinox Tinkerer. It was $16. at Lowe's. I wanted the Executive model, but Lowe's didn't have it. Lowe's doesn't carry Wenger brand tools.

The tweezers, toothpick, small knife blade, awl, and dedicated bottle cap lifter compliment my LM Charge. It's neat and I like it.

Defende,r I have a question for you if you get a chance. After reading your multitool saw shootout I noticed that you have both the Victorinox OHT, and the Wenge rMountaineer. By your pics it's obvious that the Wenger is much bigger and has a more robust saw. What is your opinion of both of these tools? Which would make a better wilderness camping tool? I mean a tool used in the woods void of any mechanical repairs. The Mountaineer looks like the too l Bear Grylls (man vs wild) used in the episode I mentioned. I think I want to buy one of the large black handled models for wilderness use, unfortuneately no one in my area seems to carry them, so I'll have to mailorder sight unseen.

Thanks Bob

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 01:46:29 AM
I have the Tinker & get a lot of use out of it.

Congrats on your new toy/tool!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:41:11 PM by Tom Munch »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 01:50:08 AM
I would suggest the Wenger Maountaineer simply because of the bigger tools.  Unless you particularily need (or want) the one handed opening feature, I think the Mountaineer is the better knife.  The extra length on the saw really does come in handy.

The only drawbacks that it has compared to the Victorinox model is that it's can opener doesn't have the small screwdriver end (which probably wouldn't matter to you since you are saying no mechanical issues) and I personally don't like the weaker clip point blade compared to the Victorinox drop point.  Other than that, the Wenger's size is a huge advantage.

I'll try to get a few comparison pics taken for you in the next day or two, and if you order from Felinevet, you probably won't be upset.

Def

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 02:08:13 AM
Darn it, you guys are fast. Thank you, the Tinker is nifty.

Defender , why is the clip point blade weaker than the drop point? I know my Tinker has the drop point tip, and my LM Charge (and original) has the clip point tip. Is it just because the clip point tips are more tapered? By tapered I mean more thinner towards the tip from bottom to top. The LM charge, and my Tinker both have about the same thickness blade of .130" at the tip. Does it matter? I mean is the Mountaineer more prone to tip breakage than the OHT?

Please accept my apologies in advance if I'm asking questions about the obvious, because I'm dumber than most.

Bob.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 02:18:27 AM
Darn it, you guys are fast.

If only I had a nickel for every time I heard that...   ::)

Trust me, if you are dumber than the average bear then I think you are pretty well right at home here!  You should hear some of the stories about the dumb guy what done thought up this place!  :laugh:

Seriously, the clip point blade is indeed tapered more causeing it to be weaker, and the hunk of metal that was removed from the spine (how clips were originally made- a hunk of metal was "clipped" out) really doesn't help much for strength.  As legend has it, Jim Bowie had that hunk of metal removed so the tip if the knife would be lighter and faster, and would pierce better.  He probably had a point, but then I don't plan to use a SAK to defend myself from attackers, and if I did I'd probably leave the blade folded and "load" my fist with it, making it an impact weapon.  I'm sure Jim figured a faster knife would ensure that he was the one around the next day to go knife shopping.

Def

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 03:37:04 AM
More congrats on the Tinker!

I have both the Super Tinker and the Deluxe.  Both have seen a great deal of use and abuse, but they keep coming back for more.

If you hang around long enough, you will most likely end up with an Executive.  That and probably several alox models too.  One day, you might even graduate up to a SwissTool.

It's a sickness, you know.  Rumor has it that when they come to take you away the straight jacket has a Swiss Cross embroidered on it.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 06:59:28 AM
Yeah, it is a sickness.  I've bought 10 SAK's this year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:13:47 AM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 08:40:10 PM
Def, I have the EvoGrip S 557 on order.  I'll post a review when I get it if you want.

I'm exited about it for several reasons:

• Locking blade
  • Slip-joint pliers
  • Locking screwdriver
  • Serrated scissors
  • Universal wrench

These are all great features that will be welcome!

I'm anxious to see if the Vic mini-screwdriver will fit the corkscrew too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:49:26 PM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 08:50:43 PM
I found a really sweet pic of the EvoGrip on the Swiss Wenger site.

Offline hurricane bob

Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 01:06:09 AM
Very cool guys, thanks to everyone for the info. I do indeed plan to stay around for awhile. This site is just too neat!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%