Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DeWALT Multi-Tool Combo. 10882

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,256 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
DeWALT Multi-Tool Combo.
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »
I was looking at the local Home Depot for a plumber's multi-tool only to find this interesting DeWALT combination. Seeing that the pair only cost 19 Canadian dollars, I figured it belonged in this forum.

There are several nice touches that make this an interesting set. For one, the handles are heavy solid yellow painted metal bricks. Both tools have a nice weight to them. Another nice touch, the knife blade features a liner lock.

Here is a close up of the handle construction. Thick metal with plastic sub construction.

I found a few things interesting when I did examine this multi-tool. One thing, the scissors are very well made with a spring mechanism one sees in Leatherman and Wenger products. Another observation, the blade locks via a liner lock, but the blade is half serrated. The Phillips is ok, but not the nicest one I have seen on a multi-tool. All other tools do not lock...only the knife does.

What I find interesting, they did a great job painting the base of the pliers black. Rather professional in detail with nary a line out of joint.

Here is a close-up of the knife liner locking mechanism.

Now, the other tool features a very nice and well designed bottle opener.

This tool can rotate to 180 degrees around the bottle opener.

Each arm features two folding tools. All tools protrude past the pivot point. This acts as a lever to open the desired tool.

These tools have small holes which mate to matching knobs...which provide a small measure of resistance in opening and closing the tools...however, these do nothing for locking the tool in place. This tool is also of heavy metal construction mixed with some plastics.

Overall, not bad for around 20 bucks.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,701 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: DeWALT Multi-Tool Combo.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:34:39 AM »
they look like there well built and for 20 bucks make it seem like a good deal.

Nate

SEND IT!
Jr. Member Posts: 93
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:25 AM »
I'm interested in these, especially the smaller tool. I searched online, but couldn't find much info on them. I was unable to locate them on the DeWalt site or the home depot site. I found them on Amazon, but with no reviews or size info.

Can anyone give any additional info on the quality of the individual tools? Are they any better than the typical cheap rebrand models?

Thanks in advance.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,256 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
For 20 dollars, they are ok. Quality is not as good as the top name brands in the business though.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,701 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
I kinda figured it wasn't LM/Vic/sog, but for 20 I guess it would be a good back up or for someone who doest use a multi all that much. Would be good for a car kit or something.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,603 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »
They seem good looking; definitely worth buying, even if it is just for the looks.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
No Life Club Posts: 3,032 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »
I was in Home Depot today.  This set is now priced $15 US.

"Drink your big black cow
And get out of here." -  Steely Dan
Hero Member Posts: 610
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
Doesn't seem bad for a price of about 11 EURO.    :)
Hero Member Posts: 545
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
I was in Home Depot today.  This set is now priced $15 US.

So these are now in US Home Depots? I was looking for one a few weekends ago at a nearby one, but did not see it. It also does not show on their catalog. I looked where the Leathermans were hanging, as I assumed they would be near the other multitools. Are they in a special place in the stores?
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
You probably need to call and ask.  Each store will have them located in a different place.  They were originally in a cardboard display.  Now most of them are probably relegated to the clearance end caps in the middle of the store.  I've seen them in three Home Depots here in this area in the last 7 days. 

Hero Member Posts: 545
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
    I just got back from Home Depot. I asked two guys that were working there for help, and they had never seen them. I showed them the picture from this thread, and they still were scratching their heads. I started walking down the tool isle, and I noticed two odd shaped boxes sitting face down with illustrations of both tools. I turned them over and there they were! No wonder I never saw them. They must have been in an odd place, and I was looking for them to be in a flat cardboard hanging package like the Leatherman's. They had no price on them, so I had the one salesman scan it, and it was $9.00!!  :drool: I snapped both of them up! They are cool looking tools and seem reasonably well made. Each one is certainly worth $4.50!!  :cheers:
Hero Member Posts: 723
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »
I certainly wouldn't call it cheap & cheerful in the UK!
I've seen it for sale today at £29.99 ($49)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-multi-tool-twinpack-8-16-pieces/10246#

I was almost tempted to go for the Stanley 12 in 1 tool at £11.99
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-12-in-1-multi-tool/40853
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »
    I just got back from Home Depot. I asked two guys that were working there for help, and they had never seen them. I showed them the picture from this thread, and they still were scratching their heads. I started walking down the tool isle, and I noticed two odd shaped boxes sitting face down with illustrations of both tools. I turned them over and there they were! No wonder I never saw them. They must have been in an odd place, and I was looking for them to be in a flat cardboard hanging package like the Leatherman's. They had no price on them, so I had the one salesman scan it, and it was $9.00!!  :drool: I snapped both of them up! They are cool looking tools and seem reasonably well made. Each one is certainly worth $4.50!!  :cheers:

Yeah, at $9 US I bought one for me and a couple to give somewhere down the line.  This easily fits in my budget for tools unlike some of my unbudget friendly purchases last year..... :facepalm:

Hero Member Posts: 557
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
 I was at my local HD and these are indeed $9 for the set.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:08:03 AM »
When Chako says "heavy metal construction" he's not kidding.  Even the small keychain tool is heavy for its size.  Cast metal construction is the reason. The larger tool is the Volvo of multi's.  Heavy, boxy, slightly unconventional, but well built and it will probably last forever...  Too bad it isn't a better tool overall.

Hero Member Posts: 723
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »
I would like to get one of these but at nearly $50 in the U.K. I think I'll pass on it!  :ahhh
Full Member Posts: 201
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
I called a manager friend at Dewalt UK (Black and Decker) to see if we could get some cheap Dewalt multis, but they don't list them at all, these seem to be a run that went straight to the big retail suppliers.

I'd like to get my hands on one out of curiosity to see what it's like, but £30 is a big stretch. I'll just have to wait until I'm back in Daytona later in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wake up in the morning and piss excellence             (Talladega Nights)
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »
They were sent as special sale items at Christmas. They are not currently regular stock at Home Depot or any other store at least in my realm of experience. As big a dog as they were for sales :facepalm:, at the now present price of $9 US, I doubt you will find them later this year.  You may want to prevailing upon a kind soul in Daytona to buy and hold one for you until then.

No Life Club Posts: 4,603 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 12:45:02 AM »
I've seen some on US ebay recently for $19.99 (just after I bought them for $29.99  :facepalm: )

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,555

Zed gb

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
Just got a screwfix catalog through the door and the dewalt mt is now £19.99 kind of tempting but then ive better mt's at hand but dig the colours  :ahhh
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:27 PM »
Just got a screwfix catalog through the door and the dewalt mt is now £19.99 kind of tempting but then ive better mt's at hand but dig the colours  :ahhh

Still 29.99 on the Screwfix site, is it a special offers book you have Zed?

Zed gb

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:51 PM »

Still 29.99 on the Screwfix site, is it a special offers book you have Zed?

It was a panflet i got through my door,im on the mailing list as by stuff for work there,but cant find the panflet now as wifes chucked it in the recycling  :ahhh got to love them  :D
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »
Shame, might have had a punt at it for that price, just to go with the HUGE amount of Dewalt gear in my workshop.

Zed gb

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
Shame, might have had a punt at it for that price, just to go with the HUGE amount of Dewalt gear in my workshop.

Yeah is a shame  :-\ im sure they will drop the price again at some point  :tu:
Hero Member Posts: 851
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
There's one in stock locally, so I might take a run out to Screwfix in the morning and have a fondle, see if I like it :)

I wish it had a case though

Hero Member Posts: 851
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
Could get this Black and Decker to go with it  :whistle:

That's a familiar looking profile :)

The chunky Dewalt is a bit different from the norm, the B&D is a bit more generic cheap and cheerful multi.

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
Turns out if you buy in store for cash these are 17.99.... so for no good reason I bought one.

Chako already did a mini review, but I'll add my observations about the tool.

This is the MT16 only, it doesn't come with the keyring tool. On the box 3 things are highlighted; a lifetime warranty, which I thought was brave of them; soft grip handles, if that means hard plastic and easy tool access, referring to all the tools being accessible without opening the pliers.

I've put it among some Dewalt tools for company and LM Wave for size comparison. The yellow scales are aluminium with a raised and polished Dewalt logo. These are well made and probably the best aesthetic feature of the tool. Everything you see in the pic below that is black is made of an ABS type plastic.

The plier heads are well formed, as mentioned the black finish on them is very well done and seems quite resilient. The pliers are spring loaded and although the cutter is not a shear type it munched through a steel coat hangar without any damage to the edge. The spring is inside the hinge mech which may weaken the head for heavy use.

The main blade is quite short, around an inch and a half long and semi serrated. It's sharp out of the box and has a liner lock that takes up a fair bit of room inside the tool. It doesn't scream out high quality steel but it's better than most cheapies.

On the same side we have a small file, it's sharp but not even close to the quality of a LM or SAK file. The can and bottle openers are reasonable enough, but have been over polished so have rounded edges on the flat drivers.

On the other side we have another large flat driver. The measure of any cheapie is always the cross head driver. This one looks like it started life quite well formed, but again some balloon has polished the shape out of it and it cams out of almost any tight screw.  The scissors have a heavy spring and are quite sharp, the part you press with your thumb has been polished so has a bit of an edge which is uncomfortable, but the top of this could be filed flat easily. None of the tools lock and can close very easily in use.

So a few good and the usual bad cheapie points. One thing you may have noticed is the amount of spacers, this tool could have been much thinner. You can also see in the pic below that this is the closest thing I have ever owned to a plastic framed multitool!

Would I EDC this? Not if there is a choice! It is a usable tool and one things for sure, it'll never go unnoticed among the other tools in the drawer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD
34%