Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Sidekick and Croc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Leatherman Sidekick and Croc
on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:26 PM
Thanks to a rather generous member I am now the proud owner of a Leatherman Sidekick and Croc set.  For the record, it did not come with the carabiner or fancy leather pouch that the Sidekick usually comes with.  I was a bit disappointed at that as the carabiner is perhaps the best part of Leatherman's discount tool line.  I do however prefer the Sidekick to the Wingman so it's nice to have a spare.

The set comes nicely packaged with both tools visible, and as is to be expected, there is a list of functions on the back.  Make sure you look carefully before you open it as the packaging probably won't survive you trying to get the tools out!

Once out you realize that the Croc is no where near just being a half finished version of the Piranha- in fact it looks like the folks at Leatherman got sick of the copycats in China knocking off their tools, so they decided to beat them to the punch and made their own knockoff.

It's actually quite sad when you see it- it really seems like someone at Leatherman really screwed up production and cranked out a few thousand really sub par tools.  That person's manager decided to cut his losses so he wouldn't lose his bonus, decided against finishing them and sent them out with a different name.

Honestly, if I was Leatherman, I would be very much embarrassed to put my name on this.  It's thinner than a Piranha and it doesn't feel like any finish work went into it at all.  I would not be surprised to find that some still have rough edges, although mine does not.  It just feels like it should.

I'll post some better photos at some point, but in the mean time I think they are improved somewhat by the blurriness and grain resulting from improperly lighted cell phone pics.  These are truly horrid, but there is one saving grace, and it's a big one for members of this site.

I doubt very much that these will be available long, at least in this form (or lack thereof) so I would almost bet that these are going to be collectible.  This is a much larger black eye to Leatherman than the Autotool was to Victorinox and I imagine when the folks at Leatherman really feel the gravity of what they have done they will fire anyone who was even remotely associated with this and try to bury them as quickly as possible.

Get one while you can- I sincerely hope they won't be around long, and if they do stick around for any length of time and don't become interesting to collectors as LM's greatest folly then at least you won't have spent a lot of money on it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: Leatherman Sidekick and Croc
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:03:52 PM
The set comes nicely packaged with both tools visible, and as is to be expected, there is a list of functions on the back.  Make sure you look carefully before you open it as the packaging probably won't survive you trying to get the tools out!

Def

I find it ironic that it takes the plastic package cutter on Wingman to get into the plastic wrapper on the Sidekick or for that matter the Wingman itself.  BTW. the plastic package cutter on the Wingman is excellent IMHO.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
Craptacular springs to mind... :facepalm:

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 06:05:14 PM
I'm with you boss. It's even thinner than the Brewzer and seems a lot more cheaply made, and that tool's only purpose is to open a beer.  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:09:51 PM
Not available at Amazon.  I bet this was a mistake tool.  Hence the name: "What a crock of sh!t"  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:12:48 PM
Honestly, this thing is so bad I am embarrassed for Leatherman.

That having been said, I may need to get another one or two....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:45:25 PM
Grant, if they do sell it individually - would it be worth $10 in your opinion?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:15:27 PM
I'm really quite impressed at the ever growing number of different ways that Leatherman is convincing me to keep my money in my wallet lately  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:42:36 PM
Yeah, they seem to be missing the nail more then they are hitting it lately!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:34 PM

Well, what else can you get for $10? There's the Victoribix Classic, Gerber Shard, Gerber Artfact, CRKT KERT, Screwpop tool and Utili-Key off the top of my head, and I would say any or all of them would be a significantly better choice than the Croc.

As a collector I have to have it.  If I was looking for a user out a gift to someone who would use it, I'd say absolutely not.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:58 PM

Well, what else can you get for $10? There's the Victoribix Classic, Gerber Shard, Gerber Artfact, CRKT KERT, Screwpop tool and Utili-Key off the top of my head, and I would say any or all of them would be a significantly better choice than the Croc.

As a collector I have to have it.  If I was looking for a user out a gift to someone who would use it, I'd say absolutely not.

Def

Thanks for the info Grant.

That's the weird thing about OPTs - they are ususally priced ABOVE some good, conventional MTs. The Piranha is a good example - basically all of LM's keychain tools are cheaper, and have more functions. You can even get a Wingman for about the same as a Piranha.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:45 PM

Def

Thanks for the info Grant.

That's the weird thing about OPTs - they are ususally priced ABOVE some good, conventional MTs. The Piranha is a good example - basically all of LM's keychain tools are cheaper, and have more functions. You can even get a Wingman for about the same as a Piranha.

I'll take a Guppie any day over this Croc.

The Sidekick also seems like it might be less polished than my old one too. I'll have to compare them eventually.

Def

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 04:20:51 AM
Well I won't :bdh:  about the CROC ( of ___)

however, 

^
                                                                                     |
I see you in the reflextion on the laptop!!    (See there you are)|  and nice brand of Laptop.  I have had Toshiba Laptops for the past 10 years, and the only issue I ever had was a dead battery, and after 5 years, that is expected
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 07:32:44 AM
Is it crazy that I still want one?   :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 07:40:32 AM

Probably.   :rofl:  but collectors do not always want the great item, they want the different item

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 07:44:24 AM

Probably.   :rofl:  but collectors do not always want the great item, they want the different item

I really wan't the Sidekick, but if I bought it I would not open the box so good old Sidekick would stay in there.  :facepalm: I know...I know..... Just buy two and open one set. If I had the money I probably would, but than again if I had $60 I would probably spend it on something else. Ohhhhh..... god I just wish I was rich.  :P
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 07:49:50 AM

I really wan't the Sidekick, but if I bought it I would not open the box so good old Sidekick would stay in there.  :facepalm: I know...I know..... Just buy two and open one set. If I had the money I probably would, but than again if I had $60 I would probably spend it on something else. Ohhhhh..... god I just wish I was rich.  :P

I feel you there.  There is a lot of things I would get if my cash flow was higher,  but what I dream about is winning the lottery, then holding a giveaway here on MT.O

If I win the lottery, first I will be smart, pay off house, make smart investments, squirrel money away, but then I would LOVE to do a giveaway that is super unique. 
lets say we decide to giveaway a swisschamp.  have people enter and pick a number, and then on the drawing day, list every entry, and ask for mailing addresses and send one to everyone!  :ahhh

to me, that would be happiness!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 08:04:51 AM
That would be absolutely amazing! I would do the same, but with a different tool. Now lets hope we both win the lottery.  :D Just the thought is selfless and shows how much the forum means to people. I know I would be pretty smurfing unhappy if we ever closed down. Would ruin forums for me all together since I don't frequent very many other forums. And the ones I do I visit once a month not 1000 times a day like I do here.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 09:20:04 PM
this set was what made me fall in love with Leatherman products. The Croc is nice enough IMO, plan to always have a Wave with me, so I won't be needing the bit driver and price tag of Piranha, only the wrench part is what I might need.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 09:27:42 PM
Welcome to the forums Lam.Kampfer. Yeah, the Croc is interesting indeed. As a collector, I did need one. With that said, it is perfectly serviceable for what it does.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:08 PM
this set was what made me fall in love with Leatherman products.

Job done then :tu:

Welcome to the mad house Lam.Kamfer :waving:

Just wait til we get you into the classic LMs,SAKs,Vic MTs.........
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 09:47:47 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!
Carried and used a SAK Deluxe Tinker for 10+ years, loved it, never paid consideration to other brands until I saw the Sidekick+Croc combo pack 3 weeks ago. I was impressed by the one hand open feature and cool look of Leatherman, bought 8 Leatherman products since.

SAK is very nice, but they are always the same old (harmless) look, LM just look much cooler.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 02:10:56 AM
My Croc.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:13:14 AM by Lam.Kampfer »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 04:29:51 AM
I recently got the sidekick/croc for a gift and liberated the croc for myself.  I haven't really got a chance to use it and now reading this thread again I may have to go get another sidekick/croc set and stash it away.  I am down a old version sidekick anyway so I actually need one for the collection  :whistle:.

Nice collection Lam
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 08:01:46 PM
I picked up the sidekick / croc at home depot for 19.99 the other day and wished i didn't, not impressed at all. I guess going from higher quality Multi tools and a pocket wrench II that wasn't my best buy. People seem to like it and I can't figure out why.
CHEERS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 12:36:19 AM
Because it is, flat out... THE BEST (new) plier based MT you can buy at that price.

And, as ALWAYS, my offer stands, I'll trade a Sidekick or Wingman for my Kobalt tool any time. Just say the word.

Here's the link to the trade forum post, still open, still available.
http://forum.multitool.org/edc-swap-shop/my-kobalt-15-in-1-for-your-wingman/msg672985/#msg672985

(Rant deleted to preserve board harmony)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:43:12 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 01:49:00 AM

Because it is, flat out... THE BEST (new) plier based MT you can buy at that price.

And, as ALWAYS, my offer stands, I'll trade a Sidekick or Wingman for my Kobalt tool any time. Just say the word.

http://forum.multitool.org/edc-swap-shop/my-kobalt-15-in-1-for-your-wingman/msg672985/#msg672985

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on the kobalt. I gave it a second chance and it is just not for me and the work I do. For the price it's worth going in the glove box, I guess.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:14 AM

I agree and without hijacking the thread, I would have to say that the best one for around $35 price range would have to be the Rebar! :)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 04:40:22 AM
For ten bucks, if the removed the bottle opener and lengthened the cut out and and rather than stepping the wrenches put in just 30 degree jaws, then yes, I would buy a $10 Croc. But for $15 I'd buy a thicker version called the Gator or something along those lines.

Combine the open jaws and wide prybar/scraper of the Pirahna and the greater utility of the PocketWrench.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:01 PM

I agree and without hijacking the thread, I would have to say that the best one for around $35 price range would have to be the Rebar! :)

Exactly....... For basically five dollars more you can have a locking tools.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21