Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cheapo Multitools...

Biru · 68 · 13108

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Cheapo Multitools...
Reply #60 on: May 21, 2012, 10:30:39 AM
very nice Al, i like that TorQ on the right, it looks like mine but looks like it has a lanyard loop instead of the saw  :tu:  my little mini pliers ive had on my keychain like your blue one is doing really well, i grinded the small flat head a little flatter as was a little round, cool little tool  :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:36 AM
Cheers Paul. Didn't realise just how pic heavy that post was till just now  :oops: :D

The little TorQ pliers aren't particularly usable or useful really ... just cute  :D The Sheffield branded tool could do with a little tweak on the drivers maybe, but it's still better than nothing and the tweaks wouldn't improve the tools abilities that much as it's still just light use.

Forgot to mention before about the "hobo" kit or whatever it should be called. The implements aren't even steel  :D :D :D Just some form of monkey metal that can just about retain molecular stability for the purpose of sitting in a drawer, but NONE of them would survive actually being put to use I reckon  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #62 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:35 PM
Just some form of monkey metal that can just about retain molecular stability for the purpose of sitting in a drawer
:rofl:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 01:54:55 PM
Lynn will recognise this next one ...

... I think it's fair to describe this one as surprisingly useful. There's a nice little touch too with a little hook and eye that keeps the tool shut till you need it.

Yup, love mine. And yes, I would describe it as 'surprisingly useful'. Fit and finish suck, but for the price, I can certainly overlook that.  :tu:

As for the hobo-tool thing... wow. That bad, huh? You know with an endorsement of such vehement hatred, folks are gonna rush out to buy it just to see if it lives up to the craptacular levels you ascribe it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 02:43:49 PM
Well, it's certainly not a tool ... the only tool is the guy that buys it thinking it'll work :D I bought it BECAUSE it was awful and unusable  :D :D :D (It cost me the same as that little Sheffield branded jobbie cost you)

To be honest the clippers that are strapped to the outside are on a par with any other supermarket quality nail clippers you'll come across, but the rest of it is just a complete joke

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 03:39:23 PM
Well i picked this one up at the weekend for £2 ,tools dont lock or snap just tension from the pins, i chucked it in our kitchen draw  :D i have to say though with its plastic scales its very comfy handle wise  :tu:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: November 01, 2013, 02:27:29 AM

I just picked up a Berkley mini fishing tool the other day. What can I say? It was $5, and I was curious.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Mini-Fishing-Tool/16637412

Here's a mini review...

Tools and how they functioned:
Ruler: Stamped on outside of frame. English/Metric. Gives about 4 1/5 inches or 12cm measure.
Blade: dull out of package. A little work brought it up to paper-cutting sharpness.
Flathead: drove a heavy screw about 1/2 an inch into pine.
File: fairly aggressive, but doesn't appear to have heat treatment, so I'm guessing not good for metal.
Awl: Punched through a 15oz can with some difficulty, and made great pilot hole in pine for screw.
Phillips head: successfully removed small screws from back of calculator.
Bottle opener: Worked on the first try.
Tiny flathead: Untested, I could probably convert it to fit eyeglass screws with a file in 5 minutes.
Scissors: Not bad. As per my earlier scissors test thread... Failed corrugated cardboard and heavy plastic, barely adequate for khakis and paracord, passed everything else. Score +3
Reference this thread for other scissor results...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.0.html

Wirecutters: barely...BARELY cut 12-gauge wire. Cut paperclip without a problem.
Pliers: precise tip, able to pick a needle off a countertop. Flexed frighteningly laterally under the strain of trying to bend 12-gauge copper wire into a loop.

Saw: hahahaaaa... HOLY CRAP IT WORKED! Notched pine and oak nicely... if a little slowly. It's SO tiny, as to almost be a joke, but it actually works if you've got nothing better to do with your time.

Ergonomics: This thing is a little bundle of dangerous pain. Applying pressure with the pliers hurts. turning screws with the screwdriver hurts. The tool retention is almost non-existent, and all the drivers and awl fold if you sneeze at them.

Flex in the handles becomes pronounced after only a very little use, and I fear it's due to screws pulling through the sheet metal where the plier head connects. There is a review on you-tube which also shows one of the tabs that act as a stop for the plier head popping over the plier stop, and screwing up the handles.

It's unfortunate that this thing has some okay tools, but put together in a terrible frame which screws the whole pile up. If you can get past the not-great pliers and poor tool retention, this thing is better than no tool at all.

Recommendation: For the same money, go get one of the types listed in the previous several posts, such as this one:
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_010W012825630001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

(Image removed from quote.)
Hey Lynn I've had the exact same tool in my tackle box for years. I think I've only ever used it once to pinch a sinker shut and that's it. There things are pretty bad. Still for some reason I keep it in there...

Offline rickboone

Reply #67 on: November 02, 2013, 03:09:18 AM
Has anyone had/ heard of sarge multi tools? I met some reps at the gun show last year here in our town. They are based in our state, sc. They had some good deals at the show but I walked away empty handed. Kind of regret not getting something to test out and play with. I didn't see mt's on their site the other day but they are on ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD