Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

an observation

Offline jay_imok

an observation
on: November 30, 2007, 01:06:12 AM
does anyone realize that most tools bought need to be "tuned?"

i just read most (got bored with the whining) of a thread dealing with a keychain tool and think if the owner touched up the blades with a file and stone he would have a completely servicable tool.

if everyone expects things to work correctly & with maximum efficiency right out of the box, well, you're living in a dream!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:25:03 AM by jay_imok »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: an observation
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:36 AM
Swiss Army Knives do....

Maybe they are the exception that proves the rule? :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:18:36 AM
I just like things to be warn in. 
I'm back!!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:21:45 AM
Swiss Army Knives do....

Maybe they are the exception that proves the rule? :D

Def
They do seem to have the highest rate of success, but I've even heard of a mess-up from Vic here and there. :o I agree, not all tools come the way we like them, so if possible I like to play with them before purchase. Of course buying over the internet doesn't allow that, so when I make an online purchase I always make sure that I won't be sour if I have to send it in for warranty and wait a little while. :)

Honestly I think MTs must be a QC disaster. Think about it, there are top quality knife companies that sell single knives with one lock and one blade for much more that even a top end MT, and they still have QC issues. :o

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:23:55 AM
To be completely honest I have never had a QC problem with a multitool.  I bought a Bear Cutlery knife that was not on the up and up a few years back but I have since forgotten that.  Vic multitools have no play in them to begin with so if there is a problem it will be noticable upon first inspection.  Leatherman tools on the other hand are a little different.  They are a bit more loose by deign and some problems are not immediately noticable.  Personally, I have never sent a knife or Multitool back for a warranty issue.  My experiences with every knife and tool that I own have definately been positive except for the Bear folder that I have which I dont carry anymore.     

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 02:27:29 AM
I've never handles a Victorinox product (new or used) that had an "issue" with it...even the old beat up SAKs I've handled snap closed without hitting another tool (something that happens with lesser tools).
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:31:56 AM
I've never handles a Victorinox product (new or used) that had an "issue" with it...even the old beat up SAKs I've handled snap closed without hitting another tool (something that happens with lesser tools).

I can agree with that.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:34:42 AM

You're going to love that Super Tool then...think of it...it's probably in England right now somewhere.  Last tool shipment from here took about 7 days right?  If that's the case Monday is your  :mail: day.

And is "warn" how people in the UK spell "worn"?  Like colour and color?
[

Offline jay_imok

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 04:29:07 AM
Swiss Army Knives do....

but take a few minutes to clean up the screwdriver bits (i.e., make the edges square), sharpen the blades to break the factory glaze, a put a spot of gun oil on the hinges and you'll be getting my drift.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:29:07 PM

You're going to love that Super Tool then...think of it...it's probably in England right now somewhere.  Last tool shipment from here took about 7 days right?  If that's the case Monday is your  :mail: day.

And is "warn" how people in the UK spell "worn"?  Like colour and color?

Nope that's just the Benner way of spelling it.  ;)

I know.  :)  I will be up early and waiting by my front door Monday morning I can tell ya.  I've even ordered it a sheath that should be arriving around the same time. :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:04 AM
I don't think most tools need to be tuned but they certainly perform better when they are. Out of the box almost every multi ever will perform what the labeling says it will. SAKs will turn a screw just fine, however if the screw is a little stripped, or a little seized the shiny drivers won't work as well.

Tuning is kind of like the disassembly urge that flashlight enthusiasts have,an undeniable urge that can only be quenched by giving into it. A given tool is so awesome, maybe it could be a little more awesome. So it gets tinkered with, which is a good thing. But necessary? I don't think so.

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 05:18:53 AM
does anyone realize that most tools bought need to be "tuned?"

i just read most (got bored with the whining) of a thread dealing with a keychain tool and think if the owner touched up the blades with a file and stone he would have a completely servicable tool.

if everyone expects things to work correctly & with maximum efficiency right out of the box, well, you're living in a dream!

I suppose almost every item in life would be better "tuned" since each individual purchaser has different expectations and different goals.  Tuning would allow individualization of a mass market item.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD