Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do cheapos hurt or help the industry?

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: Do cheapos hurt or help the industry?
Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 11:40:26 AM
Ignoring MTs for a moment, I will often buy a cheap tool to try it out. If I find it useful and kill it I'll buy a better one.

Screwdrivers: I bought cheap at first, I now have a decent set that are much nicer to use. Power tools: I started out with a Tesco electric screwdriver, used it heavily, wore it out and now have a collection of Bosch Blue.

On the other hand I still have my cheap large wire cutters. They do a good enough job and I don't cut 16mm and larger cables that often.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:21:51 PM
I think its 50/50

Yeah, the junk in filling stations is just that junk!!
But, c'mon we can't knock them all. I think I would be right in saying the relatively high price reflects the manufacturing costs to a certain extent. A leatherman will cost a lot more to produce than one built in Taiwan. The materials used may be slightly higher quality but not by a long shot. Someone who buys a cheap one is determined to prove its crap whereas spend 10x the price and you naturally show a little more respect.

I'd hazard a guess that China and Taiwan's manufacturing is far more advanced than those already established.

I've got a box full of so-called cheapo's, some are awful, but others not too bad. Ofcourse they don't have locking mechanisms - but that's fairly labour intensive and must add quite a high percentage in the production costs.

I think the gulf will narrow over time until the likes of leatherman and victorinox can no longer compete and so move manufacturing overseas.

Its already happening!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 02:50:04 PM
I think its 50/50

Yeah, the junk in filling stations is just that junk!!
But, c'mon we can't knock them all. I think I would be right in saying the relatively high price reflects the manufacturing costs to a certain extent. A leatherman will cost a lot more to produce than one built in Taiwan. The materials used may be slightly higher quality but not by a long shot. Someone who buys a cheap one is determined to prove its crap whereas spend 10x the price and you naturally show a little more respect.

I'd hazard a guess that China and Taiwan's manufacturing is far more advanced than those already established.

I've got a box full of so-called cheapo's, some are awful, but others not too bad. Ofcourse they don't have locking mechanisms - but that's fairly labour intensive and must add quite a high percentage in the production costs.

I think the gulf will narrow over time until the likes of leatherman and victorinox can no longer compete and so move manufacturing overseas.

Its already happening!!

I agree with most of what you said. I think the cheap knockoffs hurt the industry. The companies making the tools spend a lot of money on workmanship, RD, and QC on these tools, the companies making the knockoffs do not do any of that. Those tools to me, are just junk. I no longer buy the ones I see in gas stations, convenience stores, etc. Over the last 20 years or so, I have bought maybe 2 or three tools from those places that were halfway decent. The rest are sitting in a junk drawer somewhere where they belong. Also, if Leatherman and Victorinox ever outsource their tools to China, I will no longer buy them. Nothing political about this, and I know not all Chinese made multitools are junk, but I have never owned one that was worth over 30 or 40 dollars, and I certainly would not pay over $100.00 for one! Not to mention that if Victorinox ever did that, their product would no longer be Swiss Army Knives!  :facepalm: The quality on both brands would suffer, and that would be the main reason I would avoid them. Just my 2 cents!

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 03:58:41 PM
Some people just seem to be happy with their cheapo...       :)

Offline mikekoz

Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 04:40:43 PM
Some people just seem to be happy with their cheapo...       :)

That looks like a Winchester multitool I have at home. It also looks a little bit like a Gerber Suspension.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:23 PM
MOST cheepos these days look like they're modeled after a Suspension.

I've got 3 or 4 very similar types.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 12:06:22 AM
I find cheap tools and knives to be interesting for a few reasons. 1. They help remind me to appreciate the high quality tools I have while reminding me that some jobs actually can be done just as well by a pot metal screwdriver. So, maybe I still buy quality BUT not to get carried away and spend too much if the cost to benefit just isn't there. 2. I can appreciate a good innovative design even if it disintegrates after any pressure is applied. There are some creative designers out there trying sometimes harder than the big boy designers. 3. There wouldn't be "better" tools if there were not all the rest. 4. Have you ever looked at the dollar store multis? I bought a few out of curiosity and boredom waiting for my wife to but cheap hand soap. They are truly scary. There should be regulations. Just using one is a risky gamble. The shrapnel from broken blades alone could put your eye out.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 01:13:06 AM
MOST cheepos these days look like they're modeled after a Suspension.

Actually, I think the cheapies had that basic shape first. Then Gerber stole it... I know times are tough, but really, that's like mugging a hobo.

:D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:08 PM
I can't say whether cheapo will hurt or help the industry, if it is an imitation, probably it will hurt the original more than anything.  Even at young age, I was lucky enough to grow up with real SAK and leatherman; so I can't say much about the mentality upgrading from cheaper tools to expensive ones.

But one thing for sure, whether it does hurt or help, cheap tools/cheapo is here to stay and it always will.  I do agree with what Yadda said earlier, that it is just economy working as its best.  As long as some group of people not willing to pay for the expensive MTs, there will always be demand for cheaper tools(or cheapo if quality is bad).  And as long as the market is not entirely captured by a few giants and entry barrier is low, cheapo/cheap tools companies will easily emerge to fill up the demand.

I can't really say LM coming out with Wingman/Sidekick to compete at the lower end of spectrum is wise or not, but if competition does become that stiff, I'd suggest to consider the Spyderco model--to raise a separate line totally dedicated to less expensive tools and have it made in China.  Then employ the same QC process as they do in back in US.  I think many will agree that the Byrd knives by Spyderco are of decent quality and actually quite well received even back in US.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%