Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Missing Victorinox 91mm SAK wiki pictures

enki_ck · 62 · 10568

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Missing Victorinox 91mm SAK wiki pictures
Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29:07 PM
Wow,  Great Job Jazzbass!  nice!

Enki,

I have the Hoffritz limited edition 2  if you need those pictures, let me know and I will take some in whatever fashion you want.

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:50 PM
Anglers. You didn't specify which you wanted so I took pictures of the old and new versions along with the plus* and deluxe* versions.

(Image removed from quote.)

* These are made up names. The Angler Plus never really had a name, just a number (236 faU), and the Deluxe Angler was called (on the packaging I have) "Angler w/ Pliers".

Great looking photos. :salute:

One minor addition: I have an earlier version of the Deluxe Angler (no hook on the back) that came in a box labeled Waterman.

Also have a version of the Deluxe Angler (with hook), with phillips in place of the corkscrew, labeled Master Fisherman. Do we need a photo of that?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:54:55 PM by ColoSwiss »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:01 PM
No need, Karl. I have them from your post here:

http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/what's-your-latest-sak/msg623949/#msg623949

But some additional info on them would be nice. :D

Also, both of the Hoffritz Limited Editions were a series of 2000. What ware the tools on the second edition?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 11:26:32 PM
More. Sorry for the picture overload. New camera + learning scripting in Photoshop = this is 100x easier than before. Some of these you might already have pictures for, so ignore them if you don't need them. I had a bunch of knives out documenting part of my collection, so I added them here.

"Pharmacist" is a made up name, as this knife was a special run for HP and never had a proper catalog name.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:55:53 PM by jazzbass »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 11:46:03 PM
OK, the working version of the XL is now up.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+SwissChamp+XL

If you find any errors or have some more info on them to be added, please let me know.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 11:50:10 PM
Deluxe Angler and Modeler need identifiers as do the two above for when the pages will be made. Do you have boxes for them or any catalog pages where you could check?
I have boxes for both. The Modeler is stamped "Modeler".

The "Deluxe Angler" is what I call a "collector's name" - a name most collectors use to refer to it that was started before anyone had a proper name and it's kind of just stuck. Most of these names come from the old SOSAK forums or the SmartKnives website. I know of only two "official" names for this - "Angler w/ Pliers" from the box I have and "Waterman" from the box Karl has. His version is a late 1980s model where as mine is a mid 1990s version. Being unusual/one off runs, they didn't really get good names and places in catalogs, so seeing the name change is not unusual.

I see your Woodsman has a black layered fine screwdriver and the one on the catalog page in the wiki doesn't. Does your version maybe have a different identifier?

Nope, just a variant of the Woodsman. Here's my view on backspring tools, and this is what I am putting in my book:

Do changes in backspring tools constitute a different model? The answer, like most answers in the world of SAK collecting, is "sometimes". When identifying which knives are different models and which are variants of the same model, I use a system that is based on what Victorinox themselves have done:

New model: Corkscrew or Phillips (Hiker vs. Camper), Long nail file/no file (Woodsman vs. Huntsman).
Variant of same model: Hook/nothing, fine screwdriver/nothing, chisel/nothing.

This might seem a bit inconsistent, but it has it's roots in the growth of Victorinox and their product line. When the Phillips driver and long nail file were introduced in the early 1950s, there were far few models than today. Even small distinguishing features were enough to warrant a new model name. In some cases two of the same knife got different model names based on the presence or absence of the toothpick and tweezers or the scale material.

The fine screwdriver (1973), the chisel (1986) and hook (1991) were all introduced later. By the time they came about, there wasn't much need to create more models to fill out the product line. Additionally, knives were almost never differentiated by these features in production. Once the hook was introduced, for example, all knives with scissors got it. There weren't some models with plain backsprings and "deluxe" versions of that same knife with the hook. As a result, these later tools came to be thought of as evolutions of the model design, rather than distinct models unto themselves.

Also, both of the Hoffritz Limited Editions were a series of 2000. What ware the tools on the second edition?

The second one is basically a Troubleshooter. The later Marlboro model so named does include the chisel on the file backspring and the hook on the scissors, where the Hoffritz LE2 doesn't. If you read the paragraph above, you'll see that I don't consider that a separate model.  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:16:43 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:53 PM
OK, the working version of the XL is now up.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+SwissChamp+XL

If you find any errors or have some more info on them to be added, please let me know.

The XL was also identified as 1.6799:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 12:05:40 AM
Thanks for the identifier and the pictures, I added the number but will add the pictures and the pages in the next few days.  I still have some work stuff to do for tomorrow and it's midnight here. :D

Feel free to add as many pictures as you can on the different models here. It's always better to have a selection to choose from. :cheers: Some of the pages that are not on the list use stock pictures that are often to small to see the details properly. :salute:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 03:00:23 AM

http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/what's-your-latest-sak/msg623949/#msg623949

I have some numbers in my notes, both with question marks after them indicating I'm not sure of their correctness. For what its worth:

Waterman/Deluxe Angler - #1.3753.72 (?)

Master Fisherman #1.4753.72 (?)

us Offline detron

Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 04:34:37 AM

The Hoffritz Limited Edition 2 has the same tools as the troubleshooter, except it has no hook.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 05:45:51 AM
@jazzbass, wow on the collection! Serious!!!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 05:26:08 PM

Thank you  :cheers:

I have the Hoffritz limited edition 2  if you need those pictures, let me know and I will take some in whatever fashion you want.

Sorry, didn't see this before I posted the last batch. Please feel free to use detron's pictures if you like.

I have some numbers in my notes, both with question marks after them indicating I'm not sure of their correctness. For what its worth:

Both of those numbers look correct to me, at least according to Victorinox's numbering standards.

us Offline detron

Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 05:29:08 PM

Thank you  :cheers:

Sorry, didn't see this before I posted the last batch. Please feel free to use detron's pictures if you like.

Both of those numbers look correct to me, at least according to Victorinox's numbering standards.

@jazzbass,  your pictures look great.   I was just trying to help if needed.  Besides,  I only have a cell phone camera.

Just happy to help,   but it looks like you have it covered.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 06:10:28 PM
A couple more. The SwissFlame and CampFlame pictures are all stock. The existing Master Gardener on SakWiki is actually my picture as well, but the one below is lit a little better. Pick whichever you like best.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 08:53:09 PM
Swiss Flame variation with sapphire (translucent blue) scales.
IMG_3990.JPG
* IMG_3990.JPG (Filesize: 124.43 KB)

gb Offline Eggman

Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 10:20:50 PM
jazzbass you're knives are great! I love the Angler Plus and Master Gardener  :drool: :drool: :drool:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 11:13:34 PM
Deluxe Angler and Modeler need identifiers as do the two above for when the pages will be made. Do you have boxes for them or any catalog pages where you could check?
I have boxes for both. The Modeler is stamped "Modeler".

The "Deluxe Angler" is what I call a "collector's name" - a name most collectors use to refer to it that was started before anyone had a proper name and it's kind of just stuck. Most of these names come from the old SOSAK forums or the SmartKnives website. I know of only two "official" names for this - "Angler w/ Pliers" from the box I have and "Waterman" from the box Karl has. His version is a late 1980s model where as mine is a mid 1990s version. Being unusual/one off runs, they didn't really get good names and places in catalogs, so seeing the name change is not unusual.

I see your Woodsman has a black layered fine screwdriver and the one on the catalog page in the wiki doesn't. Does your version maybe have a different identifier?

Nope, just a variant of the Woodsman. Here's my view on backspring tools, and this is what I am putting in my book:

Do changes in backspring tools constitute a different model? The answer, like most answers in the world of SAK collecting, is "sometimes". When identifying which knives are different models and which are variants of the same model, I use a system that is based on what Victorinox themselves have done:

New model: Corkscrew or Phillips (Hiker vs. Camper), Long nail file/no file (Woodsman vs. Huntsman).
Variant of same model: Hook/nothing, fine screwdriver/nothing, chisel/nothing.

This might seem a bit inconsistent, but it has it's roots in the growth of Victorinox and their product line. When the Phillips driver and long nail file were introduced in the early 1950s, there were far few models than today. Even small distinguishing features were enough to warrant a new model name. In some cases two of the same knife got different model names based on the presence or absence of the toothpick and tweezers or the scale material.

The fine screwdriver (1973), the chisel (1986) and hook (1991) were all introduced later. By the time they came about, there wasn't much need to create more models to fill out the product line. Additionally, knives were almost never differentiated by these features in production. Once the hook was introduced, for example, all knives with scissors got it. There weren't some models with plain backsprings and "deluxe" versions of that same knife with the hook. As a result, these later tools came to be thought of as evolutions of the model design, rather than distinct models unto themselves.

The second one is basically a Troubleshooter. The later Marlboro model so named does include the chisel on the file backspring and the hook on the scissors, where the Hoffritz LE2 doesn't. If you read the paragraph above, you'll see that I don't consider that a separate model.  :)
  :tu: Total respect, guys. I was in another dimension for five minutes there :hatsoff:

:cheers:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:22 PM
I've uploaded all the pictures and updated the pages listed and mentioned in the last few pages.

We still need to create the Hoffritz LE1, Angler Plus and Master Fisherman pages but I have the pictures for them and some of the identifiers so I'll get to that soon.

We're still missing pictures for the:
SwissChamp XLT http://www.sakwiki.com/ti...x.php?page=SwissChamp+XLT – main picture hotlinked and missing
Voyager http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Voyager – main picture hotlinked and stock

I think a few of you guys got a XLT during the cheap UK Vics madness so ... :pok: could we see some pics? :D

I've added the VSAKCS pics jazzbass posted to the VSAKCS series page and noticed that we don't have pictures for most of them. We were liking to the SAAM007 page for pics but that is gone now. :( And it is better to have those hosted locally anyways. I've added clickable thumbnails of the ones we have in front of the years.

So I'd like to add a request for the VSAKCS series we are missing. :salute:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Swiss+Army+Knife+Collectors+Society+-+Anniversary+Knife+Series

Thanks to all who are helping out to make the SAKwiki the best SAK reference site on the web. :hatsoff:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 09:22:59 PM
SwissChamp XLT http://www.sakwiki.com/ti...x.php?page=SwissChamp+XLT – main picture hotlinked and missing
Voyager http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Voyager – main picture hotlinked and stock

I think a few of you guys got a XLT during the cheap UK Vics madness so ... :pok: could we see some pics? :D

I have two XLTs - old style with grey mag glass and new style with clear plastic. Any preference? I have pictures of the VSAKCS copper Farmer w/ Soldier scales from when I sold it, and can take pics of the Grand Prix/Shuttle knife as well.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 09:26:39 PM
And again, if you notice any errors, please let me know. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:21 PM

I have two XLTs - old style with grey mag glass and new style with clear plastic. Any preference? I have pictures of the VSAKCS copper Farmer w/ Soldier scales from when I sold it, and can take pics of the Grand Prix/Shuttle knife as well.

All would be best. :D I can add the newer XLT as a bonus pic with a reference to the mag glass change. The Soldier would be great. as would the Shuttle. We have pics of the Shuttle Wayne posted but the more the better. All the others are missing. I searched the galleries and can't find any. :(

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 09:35:40 PM
All would be best. :D I can add the newer XLT as a bonus pic with a reference to the mag glass change. The Soldier would be great. as would the Shuttle. We have pics of the Shuttle Wayne posted but the more the better. All the others are missing. I searched the galleries and can't find any. :(

I'll dig through my "for sale" images and post some of knives I've sold. Do you have a preferred resolution? These ones on this thread have been at 1024px, but I shoot on full and usually end up with an image about 3000px or so. I can post higher resolution if you like (1280, etc).

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:16 PM

I'll dig through my "for sale" images and post some of knives I've sold. Do you have a preferred resolution? These ones on this thread have been at 1024px, but I shoot on full and usually end up with an image about 3000px or so. I can post higher resolution if you like (1280, etc).

No, 1024px is great. I have to reduce the size of the bigger ones I upload to the wiki as the wiki software doesn't resize pictures to fit the screen and anything bigger would be hard to view, especially on mobile devices. Even 1024px is pushing it a bit. Francis prefers 800px but 1024px fits nicely too. :D

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #53 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:40 AM
I have to say: jazzbass, your pictures look amazing. Very professional!

And I just noticed that the HP inlay on that Pharmacist is different than the ones I once had. "Analytical Direct" instead of "Analytical". Interesting.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: November 29, 2013, 01:24:42 PM

And I just noticed that the HP inlay on that Pharmacist is different than the ones I once had. "Analytical Direct" instead of "Analytical". Interesting.
+1  Those are great!!!  :salute:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:24 PM

+1  Those are great!!!  :salute:

Thanks! The new camera makes all the difference in the world. They can makes someone with virtually no skill (like me) look competent. I'm lucky enough that my brother is a professional, so I buy what he tells me to and set it up like he suggests.

I remember seeing that on the ones you sold. I have two of these (one from the late 80s and one from the early 90s) but both have the "Analytic Direct" inlay on them. I often wonder what HP had these made for.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 30, 2013, 05:15:36 PM
I thought it was for something like this? Agilent makes them now. HP turned into the computer company when they split from the test equipment part. They are spitting again. The medical part is splitting from the test equipment part.

http://www.asms.org/docs/history-posters/hp5992.pdf?sfvrsn=2

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 16, 2014, 05:44:27 AM
I wondered how long this would take for one of these pictures to end up in an eBay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-Deluxe-Tinker-with-leather-case-/231137346615?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: January 16, 2014, 12:12:39 PM
I wondered how long this would take for one of these pictures to end up in an eBay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-Deluxe-Tinker-with-leather-case-/231137346615?

Will you report it or should I? That's a complete copy of the wiki page, even the tool links still work. I listed the picture as yours in the description but my name is there too.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=3086

I'm pretty sure that's against ebay policies.

I suggested a long time ago that we watermark the sakwiki pictures as we do with the MTO gallery for that exact reason. The original photos aren't marked, just the outside accessible ones.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%