Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Power sharpener recommendation

mx Offline ebarberena

Power sharpener recommendation
on: August 27, 2014, 10:11:17 PM
I need power sharpener. I try to sharpen all my knives and SAKs by hand using a Lansky Sharpening System. I've tried doing it free hand on a stone without any success. That is something I will do on my retirement (if that ever happens), learn to sharpen free hand.

Any way, I find different occasions that using  a power sharpener would be useful. I need to sharpen kitchen knives at home. They take for ever to sharpen and then they are not looked after correctly and need to be resharpen again. Also, I have a couple of ceramic kitchen knives with lots of nicks that have been unable to sharpen correctly using my Lansky System with diamond hones. A power sharpener might be the solution for this.

I've found the Work Sharp WSKTS at Amazon and seams to be what I'm looking for: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IT5F14/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Does anybody has experience with this particular sharpener or can recommend a different one? It needs to be under US$150 and use readily available consumables.

Thanks.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Power sharpener recommendation
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:53 PM
I have the Work Sharp, and find it to be quite a good tool. I've used it on knives, machettes, axes ... and it's also very good for lending to my friends who have no practical knife shapening skills to stop them asking me to sharpen their knives for them ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:18:40 AM
I have a few different sharpening systems, the easiest with good result is sharpmaker, worksharp is also good but you will have to be careful with how it sharpen your knife tip or else it may blunt or round your knife tip, since the power sharpening happens fast and quick.

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:54:16 PM
That setup looks nice, haven't thought much of a power sharpener. Now you have me curious and wanting to find one. Does it hold and angle for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:06 PM
Chef's Choice 120.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:05:45 PM
That setup looks nice, haven't thought much of a power sharpener. Now you have me curious and wanting to find one. Does it hold and angle for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it has a couple of attachments with different angles (20* and 25*).

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:45 AM
I've decided to go with the Work Sharp WSKTS. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline ford1911

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 04:06:33 AM
I used to have the same problem as you. Couldn't get a knife good and sharp to save my life. I tried lot's of different methods like you. Lansky, stones, files, you name it.  I even bought a "good" electric sharpener. Waste of money too.

Buy a Spydero Tri-Angle Sharpmaker.  You won't regret it. You can shave with every knife I own. Easiest and best sharpening system I have owned, and I have owned several. Several good ones too, they just didn't work for me.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:22:32 AM
Get the Vic combo sharpener. It has a V for kitchen knives, and a oval bar for Saks. The bar is great for touchups. Note that Wenger and older Saks are not so easy to sharpen on it (harder steel?).  But newish Vics are a breeze to sharpen on it.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%