Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winter car kits

Gareth · 122 · 10270

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Winter car kits
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:00 PM
A shovel and a bag of sand (both for weight and spreading on the ice when having trouble getting up a polished hill or similar) would be the absolute minimum.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 12:36:17 PM
A shovel and a bag of sand (both for weight and spreading on the ice when having trouble getting up a polished hill or similar) would be the absolute minimum.

Hills? What are that?  :whistle:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 12:37:44 PM
No but really, it's great living in the Netherlands, winter-prep wise... Worst that could happen is a traffic jam of a few hours, so I should be quite safe with a coat and some water and biscuits, something like that. It'll have to be a doomsday-like scenario for that not to be enough :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:40 PM
No but really, it's great living in the Netherlands, winter-prep wise... Worst that could happen is a traffic jam of a few hours, so I should be quite safe with a coat and some water and biscuits, something like that. It'll have to be a doomsday-like scenario for that not to be enough :)

Well, good shoes or boots is smart everywhere, if you have to leave the vehicle and start walking. You know, if you got a centimeter snow or something. :D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 01:03:37 PM

Well, good shoes or boots is smart everywhere, if you have to leave the vehicle and start walking. You know, if you got a centimeter snow or something. :D

If there's snow, (A centimeter? Don't say such impossible things!  :ahhh ) I'll be wearing good shoes, anyway. And a coat, and  a warm sweater, etc.

That's my point, a bit, I don't really need anything more than I'm already carrying with me in one way or another, anyway :) Which is a good thing, as my dad would just start complaining about all the useless crap in the car  ::)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 01:55:40 PM
Until he needs it. ... :D

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
Until he needs it. ... :D

Def

Yeah... I don't think the stuff will last that long, in the car  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline alexei

Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 05:06:05 PM
A fixed shovel, survival blanket, jumper cables, de-icer spray for locks, WD40 and 2 liters of water are to be found in my trunk permanently (and I mean all year round) + 1-2 liters of engine oil / 2T oil.

For drives out of the city I take along my CB radio.

For winter drives out of the city I add another 2 liters of water, sleeping bag, gore-tex jacket, pair of old ski gloves, a warm hat and a 9m recovery strap and a 12v charger for my cell phone.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 05:25:44 PM
Gareth,

I am really curious whether it will work on your shoes too...it's rubber all the same, or is it?  :pok: :think:
I was wondering about how well it might work in shoes as well.  I know there is a different product but is it actually any different, or is it just in a different can? ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 06:21:56 PM
I wouldn't like to think I was walking pine sap residue through my house when I got back ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 07:06:13 PM
I wouldn't like to think I was walking pine sap residue through my house when I got back ...
Very true.  Definitely a time to take your shoes off at the front door.;)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 07:32:45 PM
When you work on a farm you do that all the time ;)

I can't help feeling that a set of winter tyres would be a better bet than a can of stuff but then I suppose they're more expensive too.

I'm quite glad that I have a centrally heated garage to keep my car in, my "commute" to work is a 30 second walk and if needed I have plenty of equipment capable of clearing snow easily accessible. It's also the UK, so no where is very far from anywhere else and we don't get much snow. Famous last words...

One thing I did notice last winter is what a difference driving a front wheel drive over a rear wheel drive made. Someone I was working with in Wales had a rear wheel drive and was all over the place. Our little Astra van with its nice skinny tyres (better for everything except going round corners at speed) was fantastic.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:31 PM
the very worst car I ever drove (owned) in 'snowy weather' was my Landrover Discovery  :sa:
it was a bit of a shock to be honest, I thought i'd be whizzing about, the envy of my friends and neighbours in my 4x4 go anywhere vehicle, but it was horrible. the BEST car was my old 'Mini' that I had back in the 90's.
I think the 'Disco' would have faired better off-road in the snow but the weight of it (equivalent to a small house) worked against it on 'tarmac'. the huge tyres just crushed the snow into ice and made the whole behemoth slide  :facepalm:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 08:31:50 PM
the very worst car I ever drove (owned) in 'snowy weather' was my Landrover Discovery  :sa:
it was a bit of a shock to be honest, I thought i'd be whizzing about, the envy of my friends and neighbours in my 4x4 go anywhere vehicle, but it was horrible. the BEST car was my old 'Mini' that I had back in the 90's.
I think the 'Disco' would have faired better off-road in the snow but the weight of it (equivalent to a small house) worked against it on 'tarmac'. the huge tyres just crushed the snow into ice and made the whole behemoth slide  :facepalm:

The big problem is that modern tyres are designed for a very low rolling resistance, to improve fuel economy, makes them crap in low grip environments.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 12:04:38 AM
Wide tyres are bad for a lot of things, we very deliberately have skinny tyres on our Land Rover so it cuts down to the harder stuff with traction and doesn't just mimic a paddle steamer. That doesn't work so well when you need the paddle steamer effect but we generally don't! We've had it stuck, but in an area where one of our neighbours managed to get two of their tractors stuck whilst taking a shortcut across our land  :facepalm:

TD: your Discovery would probably have been great if you had winter tyres on. Without them, as you say you're better off with something without the momentum.

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:10 AM
Great thread!  :tu:  Some well thought out kits here.  It's made me realize it would be sensible to put some bottled water in my car, so long as I don't overfill them!  ;)  Also maybe some tinned food.  What's the obsession with spam on this forum?   :D  I havent' really planned the kit I have in my car but I've just added several items over some time.

In the drawer under the driver's seat I have a window breaker/seat belt cutter, which should really be mounted under the dash, because where it is now it would be difficult to access in the event of the car ending up upside down.  :o  I have a high visibility vest in the door pocket to help with not getting run over.

For warmth I have a pair of walking boots with a pair of thick socks, a waterproof jacket, a pair of gloves, a thinsulate hat, a blanket and a blizzard bag.  The blizzard bag is a modern take on the survival bag, which I got for fell walking, and I leave it in the car the rest of the time.

My first aid kit has dressings, bandages, triangular bandages.  Don't forget the gloves!  I like to keep other peoples' blood separate from mine.  :ahhh  I don't currently keep my SAM splint in the car but I am going to add it now.  It is a very versatile piece of kit which does a good job of stabilising all sorts of fractures which can otherwise be difficult to splint.  You do also need a bandage and tape to hold it in place.

For the snow I have a snow shovel and snow socks for the wheels.  I haven't had to use either yet.  We have snow socks carried on the whole fleet at work.  Everyone who has got stuck in snow and ice has managed to get moving and back on the tarmac with the snow socks.  They are easy to put on and should last well as long as you take them off when you get off the snow.  If you haven't seen one, it's like a shower cap for your wheel.  8)  Sounds crazy, I know, but very effective and a lot easier than snow chains.

Tool kit consists of big old torch, WD40, gaffer tape, extendable wheel wrench, foot pump, spare bulbs, jubilee clips.... and of course whatever multitool I happen to have with me at the time. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:47 AM
I've never heard of Snow Socks.  I'll have to look into those.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 04:04:25 AM
Here is my all-season car kit list:

Jumper Cables
~12 Full 1/2 liter water bottles
knife sharpener
Cooler
Travel Pack of Antibacterial Wipes
Travel Pack of Standard Wipes
Immodium Multisyptom Relief Chewables
Mainstay 3600-Calorie Emergency Rations
Stainless Steel Large Cup/Small Pot
Sterno Canned Cooking Fuel
Light My Fire Firesteel, Army Model
Mylar Space Blankets
Bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol
Victorinox Swisstool
Folding Camp Shovel
Fenix E01 LED Flashlight w/ Lithium Battery
Red Bandana
Victorinox Electrician Plus
100 ft. of 550 paracord
Fork & Spoon
Plastic Trash Bags
Roll of Duct Tape
Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter
Sterno Single Burner Folding Stove
Mountain House Meals (2 servings each)
Celox Pad
Emergency (Crank/Solar) Radio/Flashlight
Compass
ziploc bags
whistle
signal mirror
Ziploc bag of dryer lint
tweezers
safety pins
Heavy 55-gallon plastic bags
Maps
rite in the rain notebook
LifeStraw water filter

In addition to the above, I have a Vic Rescue Tool in reach of the driver's seat, plus I'll always have appropriate clothing for the season, including a heavy winter coat with hat and or hood in the winter, plus whatever EDC-type items I'm carrying on my person that day.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 10:37:18 AM
Here is my all-season car kit list:

Jumper Cables
~12 Full 1/2 liter water bottles
knife sharpener
Cooler
Travel Pack of Antibacterial Wipes
Travel Pack of Standard Wipes
Immodium Multisyptom Relief Chewables
Mainstay 3600-Calorie Emergency Rations
Stainless Steel Large Cup/Small Pot
Sterno Canned Cooking Fuel
Light My Fire Firesteel, Army Model
Mylar Space Blankets
Bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol
Victorinox Swisstool
Folding Camp Shovel
Fenix E01 LED Flashlight w/ Lithium Battery
Red Bandana
Victorinox Electrician Plus
100 ft. of 550 paracord
Fork & Spoon
Plastic Trash Bags
Roll of Duct Tape
Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter
Sterno Single Burner Folding Stove
Mountain House Meals (2 servings each)
Celox Pad
Emergency (Crank/Solar) Radio/Flashlight
Compass
ziploc bags
whistle
signal mirror
Ziploc bag of dryer lint
tweezers
safety pins
Heavy 55-gallon plastic bags
Maps
rite in the rain notebook
LifeStraw water filter

In addition to the above, I have a Vic Rescue Tool in reach of the driver's seat, plus I'll always have appropriate clothing for the season, including a heavy winter coat with hat and or hood in the winter, plus whatever EDC-type items I'm carrying on my person that day.

Hmm, can I ask how you (or anyone else, of course) store all this stuff in your car? Do you have a bag, or a special compartment or something like that?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 12:38:15 PM
My Jeep kit doesn't change year round, but for the car we add a folding shovel and folding traction ramp thingys.

Like these.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 03:51:10 PM
I've just purchased some 'anti-slip' grippy mats (not quite as good nor extreme as above) only paid about £4 pounds for a set of two, and they connect together. about 2' long each
I figured for that money if they get me (or anyone else) out of trouble ONCE it'll be money well spent. much like all my car kit, I go for cheap if possible because English weather isn't that extreme. If the advice is "don't travel".... I don't  :whistle:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:04 PM
I've just purchased some 'anti-slip' grippy mats (not quite as good nor extreme as above) only paid about £4 pounds for a set of two, and they connect together. about 2' long each
I figured for that money if they get me (or anyone else) out of trouble ONCE it'll be money well spent. much like all my car kit, I go for cheap if possible because English weather isn't that extreme. If the advice is "don't travel".... I don't  :whistle:

got a link mate?

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 07:43:12 PM
I picked mine up from a local shop 'Discount UK' (they have stores country wide according to a quick Google) but here's a link for the same ones on E-bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281205169939?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95
there are some better (more expensive) options if you scroll to the bottom

england Offline Metal Mickey

Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:54 PM
My car (small 4x4) spends most of it's time with the rear seats folded down and full of boots, waterproofs, more outdoor clothing than you can shake a stick at, torches, fixed shovel, traction boards, tow strops/shackles, well stocked first aid kit etc.

For winter I fit winter tyres and make sure there is some food/drink in.
Also I carry a plastic dust pan and brush which is great for clearing snow off the roof and windows  :tu:

I have found these ok for stuff http://evaq8.co.uk/

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:28 AM
Hmm, can I ask how you (or anyone else, of course) store all this stuff in your car? Do you have a bag, or a special compartment or something like that?

I buy the bottled water by the case, and just keep it in the original packaging.  With the exceptions of the water and the jumper cables (which are just coiled up in the small bag they came in), everything else goes inside the cooler, which is of the medium-sized hard plastic variety.  This keeps everything neatly together and protects the more fragile items from being damaged by suitcases, groceries, etc. that might be thrown in on top.  It also makes it easy for me to grab and go if I'm going to be changing vehicles or riding with someone else for an extended period.  Plus, in a survival situation, I might even find a use for the cooler itself, e.g. catching rain water or carrying water from a nearby source...

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 10:48:03 AM
most of the stuff I keep in my car fits under the boot. The jump leads and ratchet strap are coiled round the spare wheel, the towel, meter and water is shoved in another little corner, cable ties in the dish in the centre of the wheel... Coat is in a behind seat pocket, Leatherman in glove box and a few other things lying around.

I've just been updating the first aid kits at work so I'm going to take a few of the nearly expired things and make up a car FA kit. As far as I'm concerned I'd prefer to be stuck together with an "expired" bandage than die, but if we get inspected and have a load of out of date stuff at work they won't be very happy with us.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:15 AM
'expired' doesn't always mean useless eh ! god bless the 'health and safety' fools  :rofl:
personally i'd even eat out of date food rather than starve

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 04:08:11 PM
My car (small 4x4) spends most of it's time with the rear seats folded down and full of boots, waterproofs, more outdoor clothing than you can shake a stick at, torches, fixed shovel, traction boards, tow strops/shackles, well stocked first aid kit etc.

Also I carry a plastic dust pan and brush which is great for clearing snow off the roof and windows  :tu:

Sounds like my brothers Niva...
Stuffed with tools, gear and equipment.
I suggested to remove the rear seat, bolt in a safety net and airline rails to fix stuff to and have some decent luggage room.
But he said He´d rather be able to pick up all three young, female Hitchhikers standing in the summer rain which he is sure He´ll meet some day...

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 06:37:54 PM
'expired' doesn't always mean useless eh ! god bless the 'health and safety' fools  :rofl:
personally i'd even eat out of date food rather than starve

well yes, I like going to the shops and buying three meals for about 20-40p each because they're on their sell by date. Means I have more money to spend on more interesting things, food included.

england Offline Metal Mickey

Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 08:35:08 PM

Sounds like my brothers Niva...
Stuffed with tools, gear and equipment.
I suggested to remove the rear seat, bolt in a safety net and airline rails to fix stuff to and have some decent luggage room.
But he said He´d rather be able to pick up all three young, female Hitchhikers standing in the summer rain which he is sure He´ll meet some day...

one day soon I'm sure...  :rofl:

Sometimes I do have to clear it out and put the seats back up for family use  :cry:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%