Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winter car kits

Gareth · 122 · 10525

england Offline Metal Mickey

Re: Winter car kits
Reply #90 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:56 PM
:rofl:

I actually just put some winter tires on my car a few hours ago.

----------

Winter tires are a must here. You can get away with radial tires (correct english name?) 

I put winter tyres on our cars a a few days ago.
Which model did you go for? I went for Continental TS850 on the hatchback because they seem to win all the tyre tests and reviews this year.

Radial tyres (tires) is really the type of construction and so would apply to winter tyres as well as summer tyres or "ordinary" or "normal" tyres as they tend to be called in the UK.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #91 on: November 26, 2013, 12:15:46 AM
Sava eskimo hp

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Sava/eskimo-hp.htm

Got them in January last year, together with the new car. If you buy a car in the winter, there's always added cost.  :D And I got rubber carpets, front and back. The Renault ones that attach to the floor so no sliding around or under the pedals. :ahhh

Reply #92 on: November 26, 2013, 12:34:50 AM
Sava eskimo hp

Got them in January last year, together with the new car. If you buy a car in the winter, there's always added cost.  :D And I got rubber carpets, front and back. The Renault ones that attach to the floor so no sliding around or under the pedals. :ahhh

So if you buy a new car in winter, does it not come with winter tyres fitted?
I keep the unused winter/summer tyres at home in a shed. Some tyre fitting places offer a tyre hotel to store your tyres. is this common in Croatia or do most keep them at home?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: November 26, 2013, 01:00:59 AM
Sava eskimo hp

I keep the unused winter/summer tyres at home in a shed. Some tyre fitting places offer a tyre hotel to store your tyres. is this common in Croatia or do most keep them at home?

It came with summer tyres but I got winter tyres free as part of a promotion they were running back then. I was looking at the Peugeot 308 at the time also, but the same configuration would have cost me an about 800 quid more and without winter tyres. As I sold them my old Clio with summer and winter tyres I got a good discount and lots of gear, radio, parking sensors, metallic, fog lights front and rear (must have if you live between two rivers, it gets foggy ;) ), parking sensors, their seat upholstery (side air bags  in the seats so you can't use any aftermarket ones), ... £11k

Yes, the tyre fitting places offer the same service here also, but I prefer to store them at home in the attic. I clean them, remove the stones from the tracks and store them in those big plastic bags.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #94 on: November 26, 2013, 01:19:55 AM
Plus if you are stuck in a snowdrift and really need a pee....... :whistle:

:rofl: Public service announcement: Never eat yellow snow.

Reading this thread has made me realize I'm going to need a car with a bigger boot to carry all this kit. ;)

:D  Sorry, I have to post this now.....

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Reply #95 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:17 AM
Sava eskimo hp

It came with summer tyres but I got winter tyres free as part of a promotion they were running back then. I was looking at the Peugeot 308 at the time also, but the same configuration would have cost me an about 800 quid more and without winter tyres. As I sold them my old Clio with summer and winter tyres I got a good discount and lots of gear, radio, parking sensors, metallic, fog lights front and rear (must have if you live between two rivers, it gets foggy ;) ), parking sensors, their seat upholstery (side air bags  in the seats so you can't use any aftermarket ones), ... £11k

Yes, the tyre fitting places offer the same service here also, but I prefer to store them at home in the attic. I clean them, remove the stones from the tracks and store them in those big plastic bags.

Interesting. Thanks  :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: November 26, 2013, 08:06:17 PM
OK, to get back on topics. :D

The contents of the bag:

All packed up: (Buff tied to the handle)

And how the trunk looks like. Still lots of room available. You can see part of the snow shovel behind the bag. The shaft of it and the umbralla are behind the blankets.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: November 26, 2013, 08:51:26 PM
The latest item to be added to the winter bag.  I do love these. :drool:
2013-11-26 19.48.35.jpg
* 2013-11-26 19.48.35.jpg (Filesize: 59.37 KB)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:52:57 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #98 on: November 26, 2013, 09:01:54 PM
Thanks for the photos! Those Light My Fire sporks are great, aren't they?  You should be careful eating those chili beans if you get stuck in your car, you know, with it being an enclosed space...  :D

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: November 26, 2013, 09:21:08 PM
@ enki-ck ~ I don't think my boot (trunk?) has ever been that tidy  :o

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: November 26, 2013, 09:25:58 PM
I suddenly feel the need to go tidy mine up for some reason. :whistle:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 11:09:36 PM
I suddenly feel the need to go tidy mine up for some reason. :whistle:
Done. ;)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:18 PM
I gave someone a lift the other day without having tidied up my boot or put any of the seats up from the previous day. Every time we went round a corner there were awful crashing, crunching and things generally making a mess in the back. I was a bit  :facepalm: :whistle:

I have now cleared most of the random crap out, left most of the useful stuff and put the seats back up!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #103 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:23 AM

Well I had to get all the stuff out to make room for 3 winter tyres yesterday (one went on the back seat).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: November 27, 2013, 01:55:52 PM
Just saw this on Amazon, what do you guys think of this?  Do you think it might ever come in handy for heavy snow/icy region?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2953AT-12-Volt-Portable/dp/B000COTKDM/ref=pd_luc_wl_01_01_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:04 PM
I did (on a whim) buy one of these a couple of years ago :facepalm:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nordstrom-BM30-2Ton-Puller-Winch/dp/B002YB18V8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1385558690&sr=8-7&keywords=tree+puller
figured it 'might' get me out of the 'do-do' or give me an 'option' if I had to rescue someone else  :D it must be deep in my mind set  :multi:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: November 27, 2013, 02:32:15 PM
^ the above tool did pay for itself, 'undenting' my daughters car ! after her first prang  :facepalm:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #107 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:52 PM
Just saw this on Amazon, what do you guys think of this?  Do you think it might ever come in handy for heavy snow/icy region?

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2953AT-12-Volt-Portable/dp/B000COTKDM/ref=pd_luc_wl_01_01_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would not try something like that for vehicle recovery.  The general rule of thumb for selecting a winch is to get one rated at 1.5 to 2x times the weight of your vehicle.  Not only would the winch itself not have the power to pull you or someone else out of the snow, you risk the chance of the cable snapping and possibly damaging the car or hurting someone.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:42 PM
^ the above tool did pay for itself, 'undenting' my daughters car ! after her first prang  :facepalm:

Wow, 2 ton by hand! :o  But just glad to hear it pays off in the end.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: November 27, 2013, 06:47:38 PM
I would not try something like that for vehicle recovery.  The general rule of thumb for selecting a winch is to get one rated at 1.5 to 2x times the weight of your vehicle.  Not only would the winch itself not have the power to pull you or someone else out of the snow, you risk the chance of the cable snapping and possibly damaging the car or hurting someone.

That's good advice, certainly don't want to make a sticky situation any worse.

So what brands would you guys suggest from experience or reputation for a hand winch?  From Amazon reviews, it does seem many of these winches came without instruction and I just want something simple and foolproof in needed situation.  :pok:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: November 28, 2013, 12:09:39 AM
With any winch, make sure you have decent gloves, something to catch the line if it snaps (you can get special mats that drape over but anything weighty will do) and stand well back if possible. If it goes, it can very easily remove your legs etc.

Not to say winches aren't fantastic things, but there are a lot of caveats.

The other really big problem with a winch is what to attach it to at the other end. Fine if you have another vehicle but not so fine if you're in the middle of nowhere by yourself. If you're doing it properly then a snatch block and some tree strops so you don't end up felling a convenient tree are a good idea.

Hand winches are good, Tirfor have a good name but that's not so say there aren't others. You can do a hell of a lot with a high-lift / farm jack. They can push, pull, winch, extricate etc etc. If I only had one piece of recovery apparatus it would be one of them.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #111 on: November 28, 2013, 06:06:02 AM
+1 to everything Cupboard said about winches and comealongs. And if you put in a high lift jack, learn how to use it and how to place it. I've seen someone push one a foot into the ground during mud season- maybe a 18" or 24" square of diamond plate would help, I don't know.

And if you have the room, a few chunks of 4x4 to block under the frame while changing a tire might not be a bad idea. I used to carry those, don't any more, YMMV
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #112 on: November 28, 2013, 12:33:47 PM
+1 to everything Cupboard said about winches and comealongs. And if you put in a high lift jack, learn how to use it and how to place it. I've seen someone push one a foot into the ground during mud season- maybe a 18" or 24" square of diamond plate would help, I don't know.

And if you have the room, a few chunks of 4x4 to block under the frame while changing a tire might not be a bad idea. I used to carry those, don't any more, YMMV
+1  Farm jacks are a fantastic tool to have, but can be quite dangerous if you don't know how to use one.  Of course, any sort of recovery gear can be dangerous if you don't know how to properly use it.

With any winch, make sure you have decent gloves, something to catch the line if it snaps (you can get special mats that drape over but anything weighty will do) and stand well back if possible. If it goes, it can very easily remove your legs etc.
Even a blanket will work if that's all you have.  You just need something to help absorb the energy and direct it to the ground.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #113 on: November 28, 2013, 01:29:08 PM
I have almost been hit by the handle of my farm jack and let me tell you, that would have been the least pleasant nap I ever took!  I am usually quite observant about keeping my head as far away from the handle swing as possible when using it for just that reason. I have heard some serious horror stories and I don't want to know how many of them are true.

I've seen first hand how much pressure can come back and I don't doubt any of them, nor am I willing to out them to the test.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: November 28, 2013, 06:25:51 PM
yes you're absolutely about the handle. Get it wrong and you can have a really nasty smack under the jaws.

I don't see them as being any more dangerous than any other sort of self recovery gear though, any time you're pulling or pushing hard you're going to have a load of potential energy that has the potential to cause injury.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: November 30, 2013, 04:05:32 PM
Yikes, this farm jack sounds like a good tool to learn, but it sounds like it is not without drawback.  I don't have much experience with either the hand winch or the farm jack, but definitely like to prefer something that is more foolproof and safe under stressful situation.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #116 on: November 30, 2013, 04:07:17 PM
It is pretty basic- just keep your face out of the way of the Jack handle.  Remember that and you are good.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #117 on: November 30, 2013, 10:01:28 PM
It is pretty basic- just keep your face out of the way of the Jack handle.  Remember that and you are good.

And don't get under the vehicle without proper blocking rather than the jack. Or be without an escape route. Or... lets sum up- never forget that you are working with a hand tool that is lifting or dragging a ton or more of vehicle by brute force, which you are providing. It's science, you aren't superman, and if something goes very wrong you get run over by your own truck. Same risks you have when changing a tire, really. Just like a chainsaw, you want to learn from someone who's used one a lot, rather than the users manual.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #118 on: November 30, 2013, 10:56:16 PM
Pretty Much what I keep in my T=Yaris Year Round...
1.Small Shovel
2.Tow Strap
3.Extra Bottle Jack to supplement Factory Scissors Jack
4. Blanket
5.Extra Consumables
6 Plug In Emergency Air Compressor
7. Farmer's Jack
8.Extra Wiper Blade
9. 50 ft of Rope
10.Tool Kit that Rides in Car or my Truck when I am at Work
11. Stanley Fubar Tool
12.Extra Mini Mag Flashlight
13.Road Atlas/State Highway Map

First Aid and Survival Needs are covered by my Jack Pack..

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline Max Archer

Reply #119 on: December 01, 2013, 12:01:50 AM
Nothing in particular in my Mazda. I live in southern California so there's not much winter to speak of.

In my '80s BMW I have a surplus German air force pilot's bag from the 80s or so, with:

-1gal premix coolant
-oil
-socket set
-vice grips
-several kinds of tape
-lug wrench
-small floor jack
-bailing wire
-tons of zip ties
-paper towels
-headlamp
-fuses

There's probably more that I'm not remembering. I should pick up a tow strap and a folding shovel...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD