Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking to give SAK as groomsmen gifts. Suggestions / help please?

Offline thegoat54

• New User
So I'm getting married this summer and I'm looking to gift the groomsmen some Swiss Army Knives.

Any suggestions which models would be best in the $50 - $75 range. Also, how about a case included?

Where should I buy them? I'm in Canada, but can have things shipped to the USA and pick them up there, so any online shopping works for me.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:49:11 AM by thegoat54 »

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
first of all, congratulation!

I personally would recommend the Explorer Plus.  nice functionality, not too big.
the Inline Phillips is very sturdy, I seem to find uses for the mag glass a lot. and the plus scales gives you an ink pen, just in case.
If I can help, let me know 

Offline thegoat54

• New User
Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking about the Champion Plus also. Can you chime in on your opinion of that model? Both are similarly priced.

us Offline metasyntax

So I'm getting married this summer and I'm looking to gift the groomsmen some Swiss Army Knives.

Any suggestions which models would be best in the $50 - $75 range. Also, how about a case included?

Congratulations! I think that's a great choice to give a Swiss Army knife for a gift. I did the same thing for my groomsmen. Neither one of them is much of a multi-tool (collecting) guy like myself, but the SwissTool Spirits I got them were very well received.

There's no question the Spirit makes a great gift, and finding them at less than $75 is not impossible! I got both mine for $65 US each shipped, plus $5 to engrave them. Granted, that's shipping within the US, but you might be able to find a good deal as well. Check out Tim's (Felinevet) store on EDC Source or eBay for good deals. It’s good that you're early, because it gives you plenty of time to find a great price if you're patient and want to go this route.

Sent from my mobile device.

May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

au Offline fozzy_au

Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking about the Champion Plus also. Can you chime in on your opinion of that model? Both are similarly priced.

I've got the Champion Plus.  Its a great knife.  It is a couple of layers bigger than the Explorer Plus because it adds the saw, file and fish scaler.  Mine sits on a kitchen bench to use around the home when we quickly need to fix something.  I reckon its quite big to be carried around as an everyday knife in your pocket, but it would be ok in a backpack or something.  I normally carry a Compact in my pocket, at only two layers its great, but I've been thinking about the Explorer Plus.  I think it would be manageable to carry in the pocket and the inline philips head would be useful.  I don't think you could go wrong with either knife though.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Maybe a huntsman lite so that way they have scizzors, saw and a light along with the usual tools.  Maybe a spartan lite if your want more pocket comfort and daily usability.

Another fun knife would be from the Wenger Ranger line or a larger Victorinox if they are outdoors type people.

Whatever you decide good luck and congradulations to you and the Lady :cheers:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
I have a Champion, and I love it (mine is not the plus, mine is late 70's)

either SAK is a great choice.  some people will carry them, some will not, but that is out of your control.

champion has more stuff, Explorer is lighter in the pocket.  it is your call, but either way this is great!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
first of all, congratulation!

+1.

With regard to the selection of a SAK as a groomsmen gift, my suggestion is to look at the alox models, such as the Cadet, the Money Clip, or the Classic SD alox.  The metal handles look a bit dressier, are more durable than the plastic scales, and can be engraved (plastic can too, but just doesn't look as nice IMHO) for a personal touch.

I don't have a specific vendor to recommend at present, but I think you would get the best price if you (1) buy online and (2) buy the SAKs from a merchant who also does the engraving, rather than buying the SAKs from one seller and trying to get them engraved elsewhere.  In my experience, a vendor who engraves what he sells is often willing to do so for a small (even nominal) fee, whereas an engraver being asked to engrave a product he did not sell will charge something much more substantial.

The sterling silver Classics would also make really nice groomsmen gifts, even without engraving, but I'm not sure they can be had for less than $75.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Congratulations

We have a great SAK store here, make sure to check it out:

http://www.edcsource.com/FELINEVET-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-STORE,name,100015,user_id,shop

If you like alox models, I suggest to have a look also here, many cool SAKs that you won't find elsewhere - and they are in Canada:

http://www.swissbianco.ca/products.htm

Personally I'd give Apocalypse Green Carvers, but that's just me.

Again: CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Congrats,

I think one of the Swiss Bianco Alox range would make a nice gift. Perhaps a Copper Minichamp or a Cadet Plus. In Standard Alox I think a black Cadet would look very classy.

I too think the Alox knives make a classier looking gift than the cellidor models.
If you are going to look at the cellidor range then a Huntsman lite could be a nice alternative to the Explorer (which would be my other choice.)

I think especially for non MT geeks that the thicker the SAK, the more likely it is to end up in the sock drawer. That would be one advantage of the Cadet, very pocketable. Paired with a matching black mini flashlight like a LedLenser K2 or K3 and I think most people would have a hard time leaving that unused.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Looking to give SAK as groomsmen gifts. Suggestions / help please?
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:08:39 AM
Swisstool Spirit gets my vote. It's the kind of thing you keep forever, whereas penknives, especially cellidor, can be seen as a bit silly or childish.
Failing that, A cadet or alox Bantam would be classy and worth keeping.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:13:02 AM
Black or green Bantams can of course be got reasonably cheap from that funky shop in Denmark. I have the green one and it's gorgeous. They have cadets too, 31 euros each.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:25 AM
I like the Spirit a lot but a pocket knife it's not. Another vote for Alox goodness.
My suggestion is a Vic Pioneer: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Pioneer

Inexpensive, durable, good looking, basic toolset (bound to prove useful one day), comes with engraving panel (and key-ring). You could consider a Vic Climber as well.
Who knows, maybe such a gift will show your friends the light. Congrats (RUN HARD :rofl: ) :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

If it were my wedding, I would like to give out Alox Classic SD's each engraved with the anniversary date. I think people are more likely to actually use it if it is keychain size, rather than just toss it in a drawer to collect dust.
SAW

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 01:53:04 PM
Leatherman

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 02:29:19 PM
Mazel tov!

What I gave for gifts were black Pioneers, with each person's name engraved on the engraving plate. Everyone loved them, and the black/silver coloring mirrored the overall groom's party decor.

Swiss Knife Shop does engraving for a few bucks extra, I ended up using that for my father's birthday and a couple early holiday gifts. I think it adds a nice touch and you can't go wrong with black.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:45 PM
CONGRATS!
Victorinox Huntsman with Sheath is only $23.99 here:
http://www.target.com/p/victorinox-swiss-army-huntsman-knife-with-clip-pouch/-/A-12775320
Must be cutting your post off again....

Congrats!!!
Super Tinkers might be an idea. Might want to check out felinevet.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
Depends how many and how old they are ... I was able to get Swiss soldiers for the year of birth for a friend of mines wedding but he only had 3 all born at convenient dates in the 80's which come up on ebay quite a lot :)

Oh and congrats :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:48:33 PM by jaydar »

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:25 PM
Nice black explorer would get my vote.  I know of a vendor who sells them with nice looking gift tins, offers engraving and ships to Canada.

pm if you would like a link.

Offline jrp316

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 03:34:27 PM
My vote: alox Classic with the wedding date engraved on the engraving plate.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Executive
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 03:43:22 PM
Victorinox Executive, Small Tinker, Sportsman, or Wenger Micro Tool Chest

The Explorer Plus certainly has about the ideal tool set. However, it is a rare man who will often carry a 4-layer SAK on a daily basis. If I were the one giving the gift, I'd rather give a smaller one that will actually get carried more often.

Executive and Micro Tool Chest have a nice tool sets for guys with office jobs. Scissors and knife blades, toothpick and tweezers. A couple of small screwdrivers. Short and thin enough to carry all the time, even in dress pants. For the guys who WOULD be willing to carry something thicker/longer, they can always have the option of putting this on the keys.

If the guys are less office-types, then Small Tinkers and Sportsmans are a GREAT choice. Still only two layers thick, a bit longer, but with some heavier-duty implements. Choose based on whether they're wine-drinkers or Phillips-users. ;)

Rambler or Manager models are also good, as a keychain knife.

These knives are well under your budget, so consider supplementing the gift with a micro LED flashlight; one of those that uses a single lithium coin cell.

Maybe mix and match, depending on the guy and his preferences. One guy might be an Explorer Plus type of guy, and another might be an Executive + micro light kind of guy.

Consider having the main blades engraved with their initials, to make it really special.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 05:30:11 PM
congrats on the upcoming wedding,

i think as far as SAKs go a great keychain version would be best.  Not everyone can carry a larger SAK to work and some might just not be accustomed to bringing one if they don't already have a SAK as part of their EDC.  In your price range I feel the Alox Rambler would be an excellent choice and you could possible add something in with the left over money.  the Rambler will sit quietly on their keychain until needed and look amazing and they don't have to remember to bring it.  I was thinking a streamlight nano with the left over cash as that would complete any EDC keychain ( just a thought ).  now my other choice would be a alox classic for the same reasons and it would be less money. 

you could always get a white rambler and that way they'd have the scale tools and white would look different as opposed to a red SAK. well heck if we are talking non alox then a midnight manager in white which would look awesome too and now they have a pen and light, or you could get clear scales.........   :facepalm: ok let me stop right there and say congrats on the wedding and good luck deciding.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 12:21:32 AM
It's insane to think a bunch of people are going to all go marching around with your choice of SAK. The crap you have on a keychain is a personal matter and it would be presumptuous to imagine people will suddenly adopt your keychain habits.
It's like giving everyone furry dice for their car. The guys who want furry dice will already have them, the rest will not be thrilled to have furry dice thrust upon them.

Whatever the nerd in you says you should get, get the opposite. I speak from the fringes of Sak-geekiness... while I appreciate the difference between a Spartan Lite and a Deluxe Tinker, to most people they are just Swiss Army knives and one is generally not much more interesting than another.

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 01:03:38 AM
But how do you really feel?
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 01:13:42 AM
It's insane to think a bunch of people are going to all go marching around with your choice of SAK.

heck with that said he should get them a visa gift card and be done with it. surely you understand coming from a bunch of MT/SAK enthusiast you could expect no less than our opinions and mind you he queried us

The crap you have on a keychain is a personal matter and it would be presumptuous to imagine people will suddenly adopt your keychain habits.
It's like giving everyone furry dice for their car. The guys who want furry dice will already have them, the rest will not be thrilled to have furry dice thrust upon them.

I must also add there is a huge different between a useless token of gratitude bequeathed upon his groomsmen versus what will most certainly be an useful addition at some point in time.  I am firm in belief that a key chain SAK will not only be used but the need will find the user and not the other way around so I respectfully and wholly disagree with your analogy. I would tend to agree more for if you had related it to a SAK that they would pocket carry vs key chain carry, especially given all the (random) stuff I see on key chains.  I don't really see them (key chains ) as being so "personal/sacred" as you do, you presume to believe people have organized their key chains as meticulously as say some hard core EDC junkie and I say NOPE. Now ill agree I was stretching it with the nano but hey I got all my friends keychain lights and SAKs and the resounding sentiment is they don't know how they got along with out a light and SAK.

Whatever the nerd in you says you should get, get the opposite. I speak from the fringes of Sak-geekiness... while I appreciate the difference between a Spartan Lite and a Deluxe Tinker, to most people they are just Swiss Army knives and one is generally not much more interesting than another.
We have no idea what type friends he has if the SAK gift was right on par as a gift idea vs some standard trinket.  a bit strong of a response there thunder when the all the guy wanted was some ideas
im confused didn't you recommend the spirit as well as other SAKs.  what gives with the change of attitude??.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:33:30 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 05:12:30 AM
Maybe he got pissy that his brilliant idea got lost in the sea of suggestions.  :rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 06:02:21 AM
Do you need another groomsman???   :rofl:  I'd take an Explorer Plus ;)
K-Tibbs

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 06:19:59 AM
Swisstool Spirit gets my vote. It's the kind of thing you keep forever, whereas penknives, especially cellidor, can be seen as a bit silly or childish.
Failing that, A cadet or alox Bantam would be classy and worth keeping.

Black or green Bantams can of course be got reasonably cheap from that funky shop in Denmark. I have the green one and it's gorgeous. They have cadets too, 31 euros each.

I'm not interested in a debate I just was confused since he/she came off odd especially after his/her suggestion above.  bottom line, cellidor is a staple of any great SAK collection IMO and in no way childish or silly. very odd remarks by thunderpants is all  :think:           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline burnside

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 06:24:57 AM
I'd go with Alox Cadets or Pioneers. Both are classy looking, both can be had for relatively cheap, and even non-knife people seem to take a liking to them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%