Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What...? Carolina Knife and Tool - Gerber looking Multi-tool

Philthy · 13 · 10396

Offline Philthy

Did Gerber make or license it to them?  Or is it a copy/replica?

Amazon says that it's make by Gerber.  http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Blades-09300-Carolina-Multi-Tool/dp/B00004TRC0

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: What...? Carolina Knife and Tool - Gerber looking Multi-tool
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:01:18 AM
First part. :) I think JD has a few.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:51 AM
there are also ones with fiskars on the handles as well. fiskars bought gerber IIRC. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:36:54 AM
First part. :) I think JD has a few.

Indeed I do.  Gareth has one as well, I'd put one up as a giveaway a while back.  Carolina was Fiskars' budget line.  The tool is the same as the early non-locking Gerber mulitpliers but made in China.  There are some minor differences between the Carolina and Gerber that I won, the shape of the pliers being the biggest.  My Gerber's jaws are a bit blunter than those on the Carolina.  The other tool loadout is identical.  The tools on the Carolina are a bit looser as well, and it was new in the package when I got it.  That's not to say that the tools would wiggle or close when being used.  Rather, with the handles closed, if you shake it, the tools pop up just slightly, with the back edge of the tool becoming visible above the handle edge.  Overall though not a bad tool, equivalent on the whole to an early MP.  An interesting and inexpensive way to experience the joys (and pain at times  ;) ) of owning an old-school Mr. Pinchy.  :)  If I get a chance tomorrow I'll get some pics up.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:38:18 AM
The early Carolina and Fiskars MTs I have are very similar to the Gerbers of the period, but a couple I've bought recently are either fakes or have been made to a much lesser price/quality.  Way inferior, sort of like cheapish PST copies in terms of build.

The Amazon picture looks like an early (better quality) version.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:43:00 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:21:52 PM
Yes, they are one and the same. I have a few Caronlina's in my collection. I also have a pair of Fiskar MTs as well. I figured it was a little brand expansion of the general Fiskars lineup that didn't go that far as the parent company wanted some distance from the Gerber lineup afterwards. Fiskars are renown for their scissors. I can only guess they didn't want to dilute their brand name recognition...but that is only a guess on my part. Fiskars bought Gerber back in 87. Our own timeline shows the first Gerber MTs hitting the market in 91. Therefore, I always view the whole Gerber line of MTs as being Fiskars actually...as it is a subdivision of the parent company.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:44:29 PM
The one I got from Tom is an interesting piece and not a bad tool in general, but it's not made to the same standard as a true Gerber Multiplier.  As said already I think it's a nice way to try the concept cheaply.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline cdv1962

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 06:49:59 AM
I have one of the Carolina Multi Tools.  IMHO, Gerber is much better quality and Gerber implements are MUCH tighter and MORE precise.  Here are some pics of the Carolina.
Carolina.JPG
* Carolina.JPG (Filesize: 179.24 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:46:23 AM
I have one of the Carolina Multi Tools.  IMHO, Gerber is much better quality and Gerber implements are MUCH tighter and MORE precise.  Here are some pics of the Carolina.

That's one of the later/cheaper/lesser quality Carolinas that are appearing for sale on eBay now for (mostly) appropriate low prices.  If you look at the tips of the flat screwdrivers in the photo above you can see the typical rounded, over-polished finish often you see in cheap tools.  Definitely different to the original Carolina & Fiskars which were straight relabels, identical in quality to the original Gerber Multi-Pliers.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:47:29 PM
I agree. The older tools are of excellent quality. The newer ones are made much cheaper.

Here are some older photos that might be of interest.

and a newer cheaper one.

Fiskars branded.

There is also a Winchester branded fisherman. I do not know if Gerber made this or it was made elsewhere on Gerber specs.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 09:48:51 AM
I believe that Winchester is another Fiskar brand and, in the same way as the Carolina, isn't actually made by Gerber. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 10:58:38 AM
Are these available in the uk  :think:

Offline cdv1962

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 06:38:01 AM
Below is a picture of 3 smaller Carolina multi tools I sold back in 2006.  The tools were not of the best quality, but they sold for about $2.50 each.  Probably the pouches contributed to the reasonable prices.

Note the name "Carolina" on the large blade of the extended tool.
CarolinaMPTs.jpg
* CarolinaMPTs.jpg (Filesize: 161.41 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%