Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PST Mod - Added a Saw Blade

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
PST Mod - Added a Saw Blade
on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:19 AM
Hi,

I recently posted a question to find out if one can add a saw blade to a PST. I was pointed to the following link where SAKnight did the mod:
http://forum.multitool.org/leatherman-tools/pst-modding/msg638762/ . I was (still am) not sure whether one of the other Leatherman saws would fit, but decided to try the SOG saw. Gregozedobe was kind enough to send me a saw which duly arrived yesterday. Time to get working...

I have taken plenty pictures during the process. I'll add as many as I can in this post, the rest will be included in subsequent posts. 

First up some details about the saw blade. The hole is the same size as the Leatherman tools - great, however, the top and bottom are bigger on the SOG blade. The bottom needs about 1,5mm removed and the top about 1mm. With the top removed, the tool will close completely as per normal.
I used 600 grid wet & dry paper to remove the bottom bit first. This allowed me to correctly align the blade inside, tighten it and see how much must be removed from the top. Some more time with the wet and dry and the top was flush with the other tools. It took around an hour to sand both sides, take pictures and measure.

Next up was making sure there are no gaps between the tools. The saw is slightly thinner than the knife blade, but adding a washer from the file's side sorted that problem out. Length was not an issue either. The saw is a few millimeters shorter than the knife blade. The saw should fit in where the file is too, but I have not checked that. It is now "safe" to carry on me.

The mod took quicker than I thought, and it is not to difficult either. I spent a whole evening measuring and deciding if I needed to change some of the tools around. In the end I kept the PST stock and only replaced the knife blade with the saw blade.

Now for the eye candy  :drool: I have also taken some pictures comparing the saw blade with an Original SuperTool, Original Wave, Surge and the Charge Ti. I have more pictures but will only add the ones that I think are most important. I'm happy to share them if required.

Please feel free to add comments.

AND a big thank you to Gregozedobe.  :cheers: Mate!!!

Pete
Both_Sides_Open_Tools.JPG
* Both_Sides_Open_Tools.JPG (Filesize: 117.36 KB)
Saw_Bottom_To_Be_Removed.JPG
* Saw_Bottom_To_Be_Removed.JPG (Filesize: 116.91 KB)
Saw_Top_To_Be_Removed.JPG
* Saw_Top_To_Be_Removed.JPG (Filesize: 106.71 KB)
Original_Blade_Fitted_Side_View.JPG
* Original_Blade_Fitted_Side_View.JPG (Filesize: 136.88 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: PST Mod - Added a Saw Blade more pictures
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:20:47 AM
The pictures show the alignment with the thumb nick, the PST tools to be fitted and the finished, closed tool

Pete
Blade_Thumb_Nick.JPG
* Blade_Thumb_Nick.JPG (Filesize: 125.5 KB)
Brade_And_Tools_To_Go_Be_Fitted.JPG
* Brade_And_Tools_To_Go_Be_Fitted.JPG (Filesize: 120.43 KB)
Finished_Closed.JPG
* Finished_Closed.JPG (Filesize: 117.89 KB)
Finished_Closed_Back.JPG
* Finished_Closed_Back.JPG (Filesize: 117.27 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: PST Mod - Added a Saw Blade - and some more pics
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:23:07 AM
Open Tools and comparison with the SuperTool and Wave

Pete
Saw_And_Tools_Open.JPG
* Saw_And_Tools_Open.JPG (Filesize: 129.33 KB)
PST_And_Original_SuperTool.JPG
* PST_And_Original_SuperTool.JPG (Filesize: 122.08 KB)
PST_And_Original_Wave2.JPG
* PST_And_Original_Wave2.JPG (Filesize: 120.04 KB)
PST_And_Original_Wave.JPG
* PST_And_Original_Wave.JPG (Filesize: 112.64 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: PST Mod - Added a Saw Blade - even more pics
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
Comparison with the Surge and Charge saws and a picture of the doner PST

Pete
PST_And_Surge_Saw_Blade.JPG
* PST_And_Surge_Saw_Blade.JPG (Filesize: 111.56 KB)
PST_Charge_Saw_Blades2.JPG
* PST_Charge_Saw_Blades2.JPG (Filesize: 116.01 KB)
PST_Charge_Saw_Blades.JPG
* PST_Charge_Saw_Blades.JPG (Filesize: 115.7 KB)
Doner_PST.JPG
* Doner_PST.JPG (Filesize: 116.31 KB)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Re: PST Mod - Added a Saw Blade
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:23:40 PM
Very nice  :tu:
I would most definitely squeeze that baby into my EDC

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:51:02 PM
Nice mod mate.  I do wish there were more bladless MTs out there, not for any legal issues over knives, but more because you can then cram more tools in. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:26:16 PM
Excellent mod! And I've got a couple of spare PSTs from airport sales kicking around. And this wouldn't require powertools. I might have to do this.

And just so I know I'm looking at the right parts, this guy is your saw, right? http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/double-tooth-saw.html

Oh, and maybe I could get the 1/4" adaptor in there. A few fewer screwdrivers out, and a lot more screwdrivers and sockets in! http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/1-4-drive.html

So, which way is Oregon from here... HEY! LEATHERMAN, YEAH, YOU GUYS! LOOK AT THIS! MAKE THIS, NOT SMURF!
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:13:55 AM
Very nice  :tu:
I would most definitely squeeze that baby into my EDC

It is my EDC at the moment and it is working pretty well. I don't have a need for a bigger tool and the thinner profile makes belt carry not even noticeable. I have not needed to use the saw, I might just do a test at home  :D

Nice mod mate.  I do wish there were more blade less MTs out there, not for any legal issues over knives, but more because you can then cram more tools in. :)

Indeed, more tools are a bonus. I can just imagine removing the blades from a SuperTool (sacrilege I hear you say  :D) and see what can be crammed in there!!!

And just so I know I'm looking at the right parts, this guy is your saw, right? http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/double-tooth-saw.html

Yip, that looks like the one. I think SOG definitely has the edge with customizing a multi-tool. I have not looked at all the SOG parts though, I do like that 1/4" drive.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Cheers,

Pete

au Offline Syndicate

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:07:59 AM

So, which way is Oregon from here... HEY! LEATHERMAN, YEAH, YOU GUYS! LOOK AT THIS! MAKE THIS, NOT SMURF!

Just think, if Leatherman sold parts, THAT THEY ALREADY MAKE for say $6-$15, instead of R&D and manufacturing of their one piece tool crap, wouldn't there be more profit in that?

us Offline tommywp

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 02:32:30 PM
Pietervn - Just got a PST II and the Sog saw should be arriving in a few days so that I can try this mod. Thanks for the detailed instructions! In your first post you mentioned "The saw is slightly thinner than the knife blade, but adding a washer from the file's side sorted that problem out". Did this result in too much space / loose tools on the file's side, as I assume the washer was there for a reason? Also, did you put the washer between the saw and the arm, or the saw and the next tool?

:salute:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 06:27:50 AM
G'Day Mate,

>>Thanks for the detailed instructions!
You are very welcome

>>Did this result in too much space / loose tools on the file's side
I had an extra washer from an old tool that I disassembled a while ago which was used to go next to the saw blade. The file still has both washers on either side of it.

The file on the PST and PST II needs a spacer/washer on either side to stop it from rubbing (filing in essence) against the inside screw driver and outside handle. Some of the earlier PST II's had only a single washer on the screw driver side and none on the outside. This was corrected later during the evolution of the tool. I am not sure when exactly this was added.

>>Also, did you put the washer between the saw and the arm, or the saw and the next tool?
The washer is between the saw and the awl. On the PST II it will be next to the scissors.

HTH, let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Pete

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:10:29 AM

OR... you could get the same thing from here: http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Multi-Tools/H-D+Saw+Blade+for+Multi-tool/CP42TL.html much cheaper. Only problem is it says "Harley" on it.  :pok:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:07 AM
Only problem is it says "Harley" on it.  :pok:

Usually that ADDS to the price  ;)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:08 AM
Just swapped the saw in to a PST II. Had some trouble remembering where the scissor washer went but pretty easy otherwise. Reshaped the saw using a Dremel grinding wheel going really slow and it worked well.

This thing is awesome! Carries in the pocket better then a 4 layer SAK and as good of a tool set as a 6 layer (with way better pliers and inline Phillips). Folder clipped to the waist of my jeans is pretty much unnoticeable and i like carrying it. VERY happy with this combo!

If anyone is looking for a bladeless MT, I think this is the way to go.

Great mod Pietervn!

:cheers:
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 180.26 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:52:39 AM by tommywp »

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 06:34:34 AM
That looks very Cool.

Congrats on a handy tool!!

Pete

us Offline Sheradin

• Penn's Woods
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 07:25:33 PM
Very nice work! I wonder if this would work as well with one of my beloved Sideclips...

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 06:46:30 AM
G'Day,

It depends on what you want to put in. A standard PST length blade is to long, I wanted to do this swap between PST and Sideclip.

I'm not sure about the file or a saw, will check and get back to you. I suspect not.

Cheers,

Pete

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 07:10:08 AM
Very nice work! I wonder if this would work as well with one of my beloved Sideclips...

G'Day,

I had a look at the Sideclip, have not taken it apart though.

I don't think it will be possible here is why:
I used a PST II blade for comparison, it is longer than the Sideclip's one and will rub against the plier-head when the tool is closed. It is also slightly thicker. The spacer on the Sideclip next to the blade will need to be removed and replaced with a thinner one.

On the other side I took a PST file to put in where the small flat head screwdriver is: The file is thinner than the screw driver, thus again some spacing needs to be done. But more importantly, it is to long and will again touch the plier head.

So in short, not a straight forward swap like the one we did above. Sideclips are a bit special  ;)

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 08:52:12 AM
Only problem is it says "Harley" on it.  :pok:

Usually that ADDS to the price  ;)

Pfft, of course it does.

We all know anything with the word Harley in it is cool.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 04:54:17 AM

We all know anything with the word Harley in it is cool.

Indeed it is!!!  :whistle:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:38 AM
Had I saw this thread I might not have been so quick to cut the saw so small on mine :think: :D I have another and may go this route :whistle:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 08:35:56 AM
Had I saw this thread I might not have been so quick to cut the saw so small on mine :think: :D I have another and may go this route :whistle:

It is not easy adding material back to a over zealous cut... Does it flex under usage?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 12:42:56 AM

It is not easy adding material back to a over zealous cut... Does it flex under usage?

I actually used it to cut a sizeable limb out of a tree (perhaps an inch and a half through :think: ) and it performed very well :tu: No flex at all :cheers: I only would change this to make it a bit easier to get the saw out, it is fine now shape wise but if there wasn't a nail nick then I wouldn't be getting it out of the tool very easy :ahhh :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:44:26 AM by Poncho65 »

Offline george1

Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 12:17:48 AM
Does anybody know if SOG will post the saw blade to Australia?
I recently put a Kick pocket clip on my PST ii and would love to add a saw to it as well.
I bought a Blast saw blade from Loki and these fit nicely into a Kick, but l think the lock cut out looks too different compared to the PST ii tools.
Cheers
George

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 03:17:57 AM
I recently put a Kick pocket clip on my PST ii and would love to add a saw to it as well.
I bought a Blast saw blade from Loki and these fit nicely into a Kick, but l think the lock cut out looks too different compared to the PST ii tools.
Cheers
George

I would shoot SOG an email and as them :cheers: Also love to see pics of the PST with a Kick clip :dd: :like: :like: Either saw blade will have to be modified (Blast saw and SOG saw) but the SOG one may be a bit closer to the final form you are going for to fit in the PST :cheers: Hope you can get a saw from them and you can mod it in rather easily :salute:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 06:02:17 AM
Cheers
George

I would shoot SOG an email and as them :cheers: Also love to see pics of the PST with a Kick clip :dd: :like: :like: Either saw blade will have to be modified (Blast saw and SOG saw) but the SOG one may be a bit closer to the final form you are going for to fit in the PST :cheers: Hope you can get a saw from them and you can mod it in rather easily :salute:

I can send you a SOG saw blade as a RAK  :D

Just PM me with your Oz address and I'll pop it in the mail.

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline george1

Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 07:56:17 AM
Hi Gregozdobe,
I had to look up RAK and your random act of kindness is much appreciated.
Thanks heaps, PM Sent.

Poncho65
I'll go out and take a couple of pics of the PST ii with Kick clip.
It was a simple mod but required a 6-32 UNC tap and a few mins on a lathe. The lathe isn't critical but it was easier to make sue I didn't ruin it.
There was also a tiny amount of material that needed to be removed with a jewelers file to fit the little tab on the clip.

Cheers

George

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 09:06:59 AM

A big shout out for gregozedobe. He sent me mine and was able to do the mod.  :cheers:

He is a good man!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 11:56:22 AM

A big shout out for gregozedobe. He sent me mine and was able to do the mod.  :cheers:

He is a good man!!!

+1 Good on ya Greg :salute: Very generous mate  :like:

Also thanks for taking the pics George :tu: :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56