Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'use by dates'

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: 'use by dates'
Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 12:07:34 PM
I figured you would have some Holsteins and mainly swiss.
I remember when they started making a big come back.

sent from Nate's mobile

They're pretty unusual in the UK, 90% of the herds you see are black and whites of some description.
Probably holsteins. We have a lot of them here. The Brown Swiss started to make a big comeback here, but Holsteins still the most common. A lot of the dairy farmer around here will milk Jerseys with there Holstiens to get a higher Butterfat content. I should say used too. Most of the smaller farms across the States have died out, including me. Anymore if you don't milk at least 150 to 200 cows, your probably not going to make it anymore. 
My favorite are Guernseys.  And cross breed with a Holstein makes for a good milker and they never get sick. Mine would give about 95 lbs a day and had Bf and ProC of 4.5 and 4.3.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:46 PM
A question: Over here we have "Best før", which means basically "best before", and "Siste forbruksdag" (roughly "last day for consumption"). The former is more of a guideline than the latter, i.e. it is always safer to ignore "Best før" than "Siste forbruksdag", what's the corresponding phrases in other countries (if the distinction is used)?

I think we have the same system of labelling.  We have "Best before" and "Use by."  I have just made a quick survey of the kitchen and found bread, butter, rice, tins etc with "Best before" dates.  The "Use by" label seems to be reserved for items such as cheese, milk and meat.  I tend to regard the dates as a guideline only.   ;)

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 05:40:55 PM
When I was in army, I ate cans from combat rations that was 5-10 years pass best before date...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:53 PM
My brother told me that when he was in the marines (late 80's), they were once issued Viet Nam era C-rats. Tasted like crap, but edible, and no one got sick.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%