Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[Request] CenterDrive2 Mod

Offline Trilby

• New User
[Request] CenterDrive2 Mod
on: January 11, 2024, 07:50:53 PM
This simple Mockup should speak for itself

For those Folks here who have a proper machining Workshop ..

Please grab 2 Centerdrive and 1 DualForce and make this Mod

It certainly is well doable and with working Prototypes, Gerber might be inclined to pick this up as a Successor to the CD

* GerberCD2.jpg (Filesize: 105.33 KB)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 08:18:13 PM by Trilby »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: [Request] CenterDrive2 Mod
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 12:57:44 AM
I like that!!  I hope Gerber doesn't let the Center Drive stagnate.  There's so many good ideas out there in the MTO and modding community.
Barry

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 05:00:20 AM
Now THIS looks interesting; something like it would really put the CD series in my sight. I wonder if the blade exchanger and prybar can be used instead of one of the bit holders ...

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 01:00:49 PM
Now THIS looks interesting; something like it would really put the CD series in my sight. I wonder if the blade exchanger and prybar can be used instead of one of the bit holders ...
Pry bar yes. blade exchanger but problematic if you meant Gerber u-shank exchanger. For width there is room but blade itself may cause problem since length is maybe bit too short (i could test it).

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 01:12:25 PM
Pry bar yes. blade exchanger but problematic if you meant Gerber u-shank exchanger. For width there is room but blade itself may cause problem since length is maybe bit too short (i could test it).

Only Tools Matters
Just noticed that i accidentaly measured wrong side handle. There isnt just room for both and lenght would cause problem if blade is in place.

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 01:41:16 PM
There is few problems, other handle need to widen on pivot spot to make enough room for pliers slide easily out. Also connecting handles together ( well not that large problem).
Most annoying problem ever need to be solved and that is those bitholders since even now keeping holder inside prevents pliers to grip fully like if holder is closed you cant hold paper in place but open it and you can grab paper so tight it doesnt move.
Keeping holders open isnt ideal since it digs into hand when using pliers. Imagine 2 holders for pliers usage it would be horrible bad grip on small things since there is gap between pliers ( if i measured right its roughly 3mm gap on pliers) offcourse you could mod those holders but it would be trickier to open than now.
Also keeping holders open cause other problems mentioned earlier.

Id rather have only 1 holder and extra tool since it wouldnt worth ti keep 1 extra bit and loose tools inside.

If Gerber ever makes this kind product it would also be good idea to mod drivers holderhead bit longer so you could use double headed bits (also on emergency Leatherman flatbits since now thise wobble way too much for proper use)

Overall mod idea is awesome and if it is possible those problems need to solved

Only Tools Matters

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 01:45:25 AM
Thank you, Antti, for measuring and the information. :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 02:21:17 AM
If Gerber ever makes this kind product it would also be good idea to mod drivers holderhead bit longer so you could use double headed bits (also on emergency Leatherman flatbits since now thise wobble way too much for proper use)

I agree completely Antti.  I would love to see Gerber come out with an improved Center Drive.  There's so much potential as our modders have shown. 

EDIT: Incidentally, we're having a Center Drive Challenge next month.  I'd love to have you two in it!  Juan, I understand about having to use a bladeless tool at work, but we can modify that so that you can still do that at work and carry the CD when you can. 
Barry

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 12:58:51 PM
Thank you Barry for considering me "one of the guys"! Unfortunately, I still don't have one and my "recreational budget" is somewhat constraint; probably will be rooting again from the grandstan ds for this one too.  :facepalm:

I'll see if  I can find one on the cheap and f/u.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 02:55:06 PM
Absolutely Juan and I'll see what I can find too.  That was the problem with that Snap On MP.  It's nice but my son is single so he has some disposable income  :facepalm:
Barry

Offline Trilby

• New User
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 09:51:25 PM
I keep being stymied about creating that 1mm OffSet Bend on the second Handle, to get the needed PlierPivot Clearance. The First Bend is of Course easy, yet manually bending it back after just 1mm seems quite a Challenge.
 I suspect a proper BrakePress with CustomDies is needed for that little Clearance

If You got any Ideas about doing this manually with simple Tools like a Vice and GripPliers … let me know

Before irreversible disassembling Two CenterDrives, i´d rather be certain about getting these Bends correct

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%