Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What the... snap is suddenly gone from cap lifter on Traveller Lite

williu · 11 · 1197

se Offline williu

Hi guys, something strange happened to my new Traveller Lite today. The snap felt very weak, and I thought I'd oil it up a little bit with the same oil that completely fixed the snap back on some other SAKs. So I did it, and a few seconds later the snap is completely gone and it feels like it's nowhere to be found. It's even quite rough to pull out as well. But when both the can opener is opened too, the cap lifter closes with a beautiful snap.

Any thoughts on this? Tips? Help?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
I think something got in the pivot. Lube it up good and work the cap lifter open and close.

sent from Nate's mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

se Offline williu

So more oil and open-close several times should help?

00 Offline Fattsgalore

It should... Sounds like the oil loosened stuff up but didn't remove the particles, like a layer of sludge between tang and spring.

The only thing that sucks about the electronic scaled SAKs, (besides the batteries) you can't run them under a faucet with hot water.

I'd still use some hot water and an old tooth brush to try to clean fine particles out as I work the tools.
Got to pull out those particle or they just sit in the crevices.

Besides this speedbump, liking your Traveller Lite?
I like mine...

se Offline williu

All right, I tried greasing it up and opening/closing the cap lifter, but pretty much to no avail... somehow oil managed to get into the display though, so now I have to figure out how to get rid of that too, haha. Well, it's a challenge!

Besides this speedbump, liking your Traveller Lite?
I like mine...

I think it's a brilliant EDC, really nice. I like the display a lot!  :tu:

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Did the spring crack?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
The only thing that sucks about the electronic scaled SAKs, (besides the batteries) you can't run them under a faucet with hot water.

I gave my Voyager the hot water and dish soap treatment with no apparent ill effects.  Just took the battery out first, and then made absolutely sure it was completely dry before replacing the battery at the end.  YMMV though...

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
I think the PCB has a conformal coating so you should be OK.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

@Nate, ballsy. Love my Onyx Voyager to much to try to try that.
People underestimate some hot water. (people with their heavy chemicals...)
Minus the scales a SAK is dishwasher safe as far as I know.

If you got anything under the display your going to have to pop off the scales to clean it...period. You find another method you let me know...
If it was water an afternoon under a window sill would fix it, not sure the oil will evaporate. No amount of blowing into it will remove anything. All you'll end up doing is adding moisture to it...ask how I know.
My Traveller Lite's display was foggy, covered in dust and dander, and my Timekeeper Alarms display had a cat hair across the display. (annoyed the heck out of me!!!) They had to be cleaned or I wasn't going to be happy with my purchases...now they look great.

If you give this a try... I would recommend you don't. They are made of nylon and don't have the flex of cellidor. I've done 3, about to do more...and I still don't recommend it.
If you plan this let me know...

And in the future, always use "very little" oil.
Oil can have adverse effects if you use to much. To much and it'll attract dirt or make a sludge with loose particles. I come from the world of firearms and rule one to oiling a firearm is light oil.
My entire mentality/methodology for maintaining tools comes from my experience maintaining firearms TBH...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:24:40 PM by Fattsgalore »

se Offline williu

Thanks a lot for that info, Fattsgalore. Appreciate it!

The oil under the display it at an acceptable level at the moment, and the snap is not restored fully but enough to not be bothered about it. Although I am a perfectionist, I will leave it alone now and do what I bought the knife for in the first place - use it as an EDC :D

00 Offline Fattsgalore

That's good to here.
My T. Lite sits in a jewelry chest. :(
Hate tools sitting idle...

I posted the manual for the Traveller in another topic if you need it...
O, and if you can make sense of the altimeter/barometer let me know.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%