Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My two Swisstools have arrived

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
My two Swisstools have arrived
on: November 23, 2013, 10:17:14 PM
Tuesday (12 November) I ordered 2 Swisstools from Tim "Felinevet" and they arrived yesterday  :D.

Since I already owned a Swisstool, the original plan was to keep one for myself (so I have one for the collection and one as a user) and give the other one to my father for Christmas. 

But when they arrived I noticed that these 2 didn't have the red Swisstool sticker and the logo was different (so they are the "new" version) which means I should also keep one of those in the box for the collection and use the other for EDC, guess I will have to look for another Christmas gift for my dad ...

So, big thanks to Tim for this great deal  :salute:.

And here are some pics ...

The sheath they came with is different from the one you get with your Swisstool here in Belgium,  I noticed that these sheaths have a "Pouch made in Mexico" sticker on them, I'm guessing they are exclusive for the other side of the pond ...  In the next pic you see the nylon sheath you get with your Swisstool over here, and the "made in Mexico" ones.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:20:44 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Re: My two Swisstools have arrived
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:22:12 PM
Very nice addition there!  Have the tools changed at all in the new version?

SAW

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:33:27 PM
Very nice addition there!  Have the tools changed at all in the new version?

I haven't noticed any changes apart from the (absence of the) sticker and the new logo.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 10:42:36 PM
Just noticed that there's no Vic shield on the plier-head anymore, leaving away the red paint is a good thing in my opinion, both old and new logo are ok for me, but I did like the shield on the plier-head ... 

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:19:37 AM
Wow, your dad gets cool presents compared to my dad!

Interesting differences on the pouches. The red on the Mexican one is attractive at first glance but I prefer the shape of the European one (Which is probably made in China!)
What made you order from Felinevet (given there is an ocean between him and Belgium...) Did he have an insanely good price or did you do it for the cats? :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:56:39 AM
Wow, your dad gets cool presents compared to my dad!

Interesting differences on the pouches. The red on the Mexican one is attractive at first glance but I prefer the shape of the European one (Which is probably made in China!)
What made you order from Felinevet (given there is an ocean between him and Belgium...) Did he have an insanely good price or did you do it for the cats? :D

I changed my mind about the Swisstool Christmas gift, I think I'm going to keep both of them myself and get something else for my dad (maybe a Led Lenser P7, because he was pretty impressed by mine when he used it a while ago).

Anyway, I ordered from Felinevet because, after reading a lot of great comments on him on this forum, he sounded like a real great guy, and in a way I do feel better knowing my money is going to a good cause rather than to some greedy corporation which has no interest whatsoever in the products they are selling (the company that imports Victorinox knives and tools in Belgium is a great example of this ...).  And not to forget, a few months ago I won one of the give-aways here, and the Vic Cadet (gift from enki_ck) and the Wenger Ranger (gift from Tim "Felinevet) both came from Tim's store, so the least I could do was buy some tools from his store (and they won't be the last  ;)).

And yes, a tool that was build in Switzerland, then send to the States, and then send back to Europe still is half the price of buying the same tool in a shop here in Belgium (if you can find them over here, because I've been searching for Swisstools and Spirits in Belgium for the last four years or so, and I've bought all the ones that I could find, which says more about the fact that they are very rare here than about the size of my collection  ;)).

About the sheaths, well, I also prefer the looks of the European one, but the Mexican one does sit better on the belt, the European one rides quite high, so the tool pokes you in the side, the Mexican one rides a lot lower on the belt.  And I also prefer the snap closure, although the velcro on the other one has never failed me once, so that might just be in my head ...  The European one does look more durable, but I can't confirm if that's really the case, because I only used the Mexican one for a day now, I'll know more in a few months  ;).

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 02:36:42 AM
You have such a natural talent for composition in you pics!  Looking at those makes me want to go get my SwissTool and order a couple of more! :drool:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 02:46:41 AM
Why are you buying two? :think:

One for me??? :pok:
Leatherman

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:04:07 AM
Those are two beautiful Swisstools, and great pics my friend :tu:  Now tell me, are you building up to 27 Swisstools as well? :pok:  ;)  :rofl:
K-Tibbs

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:45:01 AM
I'm in a Swisstool trance........ :ahhh

Those are looking good!  :drool: I need more Swisstools!!!! I can't believe I sold all mine. Dumbest thing I did this year!  >:(
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:23 AM

Those are looking good!  :drool: I need more Swisstools!!!! I can't believe I sold all mine. Dumbest thing I did this year!  >:(

Very nice tg  :salute: and i did the same dumb thing   :-\

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 09:33:39 AM

Stupid us!  :twak: :twak:
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:02:09 AM
Great pics, as always, TG24 :tu:
Now, what a coincidence: I have been considering getting a beater Swisstool for the past three weeks and then you go and post these pics... :ahhh :D

And yes, a tool that was build in Switzerland, then send to the States, and then send back to Europe still is half the price of buying the same tool in a shop here in Belgium (if you can find them over here, because I've been searching for Swisstools and Spirits in Belgium for the last four years or so, and I've bought all the ones that I could find, which says more about the fact that they are very rare here than about the size of my collection  ;)).

??? DFQ, if I may say so?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:46 PM
You have such a natural talent for composition in you pics!  Looking at those makes me want to go get my SwissTool and order a couple of more! :drool:

Thanks my friend, I can say the same about you, your pics are always one of the things I check out first when I log in here ;).

Why are you buying two? :think:

One for me??? :pok:

Nice try my friend, nice try ...  ;)

Those are two beautiful Swisstools, and great pics my friend :tu:  Now tell me, are you building up to 27 Swisstools as well? :pok:  ;)  :rofl:

There you are, I was getting a bit worried about you, what took you so long ... ?   :pok:

Stupid us!  :twak: :twak:

Self knowledge is the beginning of wisdom ...  ;)

Why on earth would anyone sell his Swisstool(s) anyway ?   :think:

;)

Great pics, as always, TG24 :tu:
Now, what a coincidence: I have been considering getting a beater Swisstool for the past three weeks and then you go and post these pics... :ahhh :D

??? DFQ, if I may say so?

Great minds think alike I guess  ;).

(talking about great minds ... what does DFQ stand for ... ?  :shrug:)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 07:56:38 PM
Here's another pic, I already posted this one in "The SwissTool owners club" topic, so most of you will have seen it already but it won't hurt posting it twice right ? 

Too bad that the nice sunny days are over for the next 5 months or so, for now I can only dream about how these pics would look on a nice sunny day, because these were taken on a grey/dark day (for your information, the pics I take with this background are all taken outside in my garden, nothing beats natural light in my opinion  ;)).

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:02:22 PM

There you are, I was getting a bit worried about you, what took you so long ... ?   :pok:

Haha, I didn't see this thread on time as it had been bumped back to the second page.  Otherwise I would have been all over it with a comment about your Spirit collection :pok: ;)  You really do take awesome pics though, and they make me want a Swisstool, even though I really don't need one.  Not that something like not needing a MT/SAK has stopped me before, but I do prefer to carry each item I have (hence my rotation :P).  The more I add, the more complicated that becomes.  Plus, I think it would be too heavy (doesn't look like it's too much bulkier though) for pocket carry.  A RTE Spirit would fit just fine though :pok: :rofl:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 09:05:16 PM
 :cheers: TG24 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DFQ
I was referring to the first definition. Usually, I don't talk this way, not publicly at least, it's just I am a little surprised by the situation you described  ???

Those pics convinced me, I can see me getting one to keep in the car eventually -when I save up the money :facepalm: What version are yours?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 09:11:45 PM

Haha, I didn't see this thread on time as it had been bumped back to the second page.  Otherwise I would have been all over it with a comment about your Spirit collection :pok: ;)  You really do take awesome pics though, and they make me want a Swisstool, even though I really don't need one.  Not that something like not needing a MT/SAK has stopped me before, but I do prefer to carry each item I have (hence my rotation :P).  The more I add, the more complicated that becomes.  Plus, I think it would be too heavy (doesn't look like it's too much bulkier though) for pocket carry.  A RTE Spirit would fit just fine though :pok: :rofl:

I have overcome this adversity by stashing a SAK almost everywhere I'm bound to be, so that I can have one within reach even if I don't carry anything. I have just started considering doing the same with some MTs (see post above). A Pulse or a Core come to mind, other than a Swisstool  :whistle:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:29 PM

I have overcome this adversity by stashing a SAK almost everywhere I'm bound to be, so that I can have one within reach even if I don't carry anything. I have just started considering doing the same with some MTs (see post above). A Pulse or a Core come to mind, other than a Swisstool  :whistle:

Right.  I do need a MT for each vehicle.  I used to have one in both vehicles, but I sold them and haven't replaced them.  I prefer to have my vehicle MT be one that I don't mind not carrying, which is hard because I want to carry them all :ahhh  A Swisstool would be good for that if I did find it too heavy for carry, but I'd miss being able to fiddle with it, and my family might find it odd if I go sit out in the car for a little while and play with my MT ;)
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:43 PM
:D It's why I'm considering getting a second Swisstool. I am a bad person, I know.

For some reason, I feel the ST is better suited for the glove compartment than the Spirit. I do keep a SAK at work, at my mother's house, in the car, at our house down where my father is from :think:, yeah, that's all. This place does really exert a powerful influence on me.  :ahhh

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 11:04:35 PM
:cheers: TG24 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DFQ
I was referring to the first definition. Usually, I don't talk this way, not publicly at least, it's just I am a little surprised by the situation you described  ???

Those pics convinced me, I can see me getting one to keep in the car eventually -when I save up the money :facepalm: What version are yours?

Ok, I knew WTF, but I didn't know DFQ  ;).

So, mine are all the Swisstool X, for me that one is the best out of all the Swisstool versions, and since I found my way to this place I have the urge to buy more than one of every tool, so that I have one user, and one that I can keep "new in box" for my collection, eventually I always end up with more than 2 ...  ::)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 11:26:25 PM

Thanks my friend, I can say the same about you, your pics are always one of the things I check out first when I log in here ;).

Thanks! I really appreciate that!  :cheers:

Here's another pic, I already posted this one in "The SwissTool owners club" topic, so most of you will have seen it already but it won't hurt posting it twice right ? 

Too bad that the nice sunny days are over for the next 5 months or so, for now I can only dream about how these pics would look on a nice sunny day, because these were taken on a grey/dark day (for your information, the pics I take with this background are all taken outside in my garden, nothing beats natural light in my opinion  ;)).

Definitely doesn't hurt to see it again.  :drool:  I couldn't agree more!  I have a friend that is studio photographer, and it took me a realllllllllllly long time to convince him to try natural light, and now he tries to shoot more outside then in.  :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 11:26:40 PM

You need a Swisstool, you know you need one ... 

By the way, you still don't own a Spirit RT ... ?  You know there were two for sale here on the forum, do I really need to show some pics of mine again to convince you ?

About the Swisstool, for me the Swisstool is about the only tool that gives me the same feeling that I had when I bought my very first Leatherman Supertool back in '94, it's one of those tools that is still way up there when it comes to fit and finish, when you hold it in your hand you just feel you're holding a high quality piece of history, and a tool that, in 50 years or so (still) will be considered a true classic.

Although the Spirit might be a better tool in general, being smaller, lighter, and the tools on the Spirit have zero play, while the ones on the Swisstool might have a bit of play (some of them), still the Swisstool brings a smile on my face every time I pick it up, look at it, open it, use it ...

And when it comes to taking pics, nothing beats the Swisstool (the original Supertool comes close, followed by the Spirit, and the ST300/Rebar  ;)), it's just a beautiful, shiny, classic tool ...  :D

gr Offline firiki

Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 11:36:42 PM
So, mine are all the Swisstool X, for me that one is the best out of all the Swisstool versions, and since I found my way to this place I have the urge to buy more than one of every tool, so that I have one user, and one that I can keep "new in box" for my collection, eventually I always end up with more than 2 ...  ::)[/b
I know exactly what you're saying. I had that urge just by reading MTO's pages before joining  :ahhh And yes, I agree that the X version is the best. I still wonder why I got one with two blades (but I like that thing a lot!). A true classic, the Swisstool, as you said.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 04:58:11 AM

About the Swisstool, for me the Swisstool is about the only tool that gives me the same feeling that I had when I bought my very first Leatherman Supertool back in '94, it's one of those tools that is still way up there when it comes to fit and finish, when you hold it in your hand you just feel you're holding a high quality piece of history, and a tool that, in 50 years or so (still) will be considered a true classic.

Although the Spirit might be a better tool in general, being smaller, lighter, and the tools on the Spirit have zero play, while the ones on the Swisstool might have a bit of play (some of them), still the Swisstool brings a smile on my face every time I pick it up, look at it, open it, use it ...

And when it comes to taking pics, nothing beats the Swisstool (the original Supertool comes close, followed by the Spirit, and the ST300/Rebar  ;)), it's just a beautiful, shiny, classic tool ...  :D

Can't say it any better.  I had been using various LM tools since late 80s, and I vividly remember I wasn't thinking much about the Swisstool when I first saw it many years ago, despite the salesman kept telling me it was a good piece of tool.

It was a great pleasure to (re)discover Swisstool, especially Spirit, this year and I am now a total convert.  The smooth and buttery feel of opening each individual tool is what quality really meant.  :D

Btw, I now know buying for family members is just genuinely a bad idea...I don't like giving others what I don't desire, but what I desire is usually what I'd like to keep.  Buying for family members is just another way to satisfy my tool-buying OCD. :facepalm:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 04:25:24 PM

By the way, you still don't own a Spirit RT ... ?  You know there were two for sale here on the forum, do I really need to show some pics of mine again to convince you ?

Ha, the original SuperTool is another I wanted to get at some point due to the classic style and fit/finish.  I'm assuming it's much like a larger PST in terms of the quality, and I read on here that it's not that bulky/heavy.  Still, it's hard for me to justify many more MT/SAK purchases at this point, other than to put one in both my vehicles.  Even then, they'd be stuck there and I wouldn't be able to play with them when I wanted ;)  I'm in a tough position here, somewhere between knowing I don't need anymore, but still wanting more (but struggling to afford/justify the expense) :ahhh 

I would like both a Swisstool and Supertool for the history of them as well, and I know the Swisstool in particular would be a good fiddle factor MT.  And it's shiiinyyy.... :drool:  But the Spirit is probably enough to satisfy that.  As for the RTE, while I want one, the price is just too much for me to justify at this point.  It would be a great addition to the collection though, and a part of the history in a sense.  I'm lucky I'm not a total completionist, as I have the One Hand Master Road Tour, and would feel the need to get the Spirit RTE and the Climber RTE as well (not sure if there are any others in that series :think:).  Oh perhaps someday I'll end up with these other MTs, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.  Although tax refund season is a couple months away.... >:D
K-Tibbs

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 05:42:25 PM

Ha, the original SuperTool is another I wanted to get at some point due to the classic style and fit/finish.  I'm assuming it's much like a larger PST in terms of the quality, and I read on here that it's not that bulky/heavy.  Still, it's hard for me to justify many more MT/SAK purchases at this point, other than to put one in both my vehicles.  Even then, they'd be stuck there and I wouldn't be able to play with them when I wanted ;)  I'm in a tough position here, somewhere between knowing I don't need anymore, but still wanting more (but struggling to afford/justify the expense) :ahhh 

I would like both a Swisstool and Supertool for the history of them as well, and I know the Swisstool in particular would be a good fiddle factor MT.  And it's shiiinyyy.... :drool:  But the Spirit is probably enough to satisfy that.  As for the RTE, while I want one, the price is just too much for me to justify at this point.  It would be a great addition to the collection though, and a part of the history in a sense.  I'm lucky I'm not a total completionist, as I have the One Hand Master Road Tour, and would feel the need to get the Spirit RTE and the Climber RTE as well (not sure if there are any others in that series :think:).  Oh perhaps someday I'll end up with these other MTs, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.  Although tax refund season is a couple months away.... >:D

I hear what you're saying my friend, when you have others who depend on you, the tool budget gets very small in no time ... Now I almost feel bad that I used hypnotoad on you ...  :-[

One of these Swisstools was for myself and the other one for my father, and since it was a pretty long time since I bought myself a multitool (and they were half the price of what I would pay here) I thought I could "justify" buying something for myself, but like comis said "I don't like giving others what I don't desire, but what I desire is usually what I'd like to keep", and after looking at both these beautiful tools I knew there was no way I could part from one of them ...

Oh well, maybe I should put some wrapping paper on the second one so it can go under the Christmas tree in a couple of days, that way my wife doesn't have to spend some extra cash on buying a Christmas gift for me  ;).

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 06:39:41 PM
No need to feel bad buddy, I can control myself when I must ;)  I don't think I could buy something like that and give it away as a gift.  Heck, the recipient would see my fingerprints all over it because I'd just have to at least take it out and fiddle with it a bit before gifting it ;)

I can see how you'd justify half price based on some of the prices you've mentioned on here.  I would jump at that too if I were you.  Aw, I thought you were gonna say you'd wrap it up and send it to me :(  Oh well, maybe some other time :pok:   :rofl:
K-Tibbs

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:07 PM
... Aw, I thought you were gonna say you'd wrap it up and send it to me :(  Oh well, maybe some other time :pok:   :rofl:

No can do my friend, my oldest son (8 years) already told me that, if grandpa doesn't get the tool, he would like to have it (I've created my own mini-me  :ahhh).

I told him that if he put a Swisstool in a sheath on his belt, his pants would drop to the floor in no time, but that didn't seem to bother him ...  ::)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 08:21:59 PM
... Aw, I thought you were gonna say you'd wrap it up and send it to me :(  Oh well, maybe some other time :pok:   :rofl:

No can do my friend, my oldest son (8 years) already told me that, if grandpa doesn't get the tool, he would like to have it (I've created my own mini-me  :ahhh).

I told him that if he put a Swisstool in a sheath on his belt, his pants would drop to the floor in no time, but that didn't seem to bother him ...  ::)

Ah, I suppose I can let you off the hook this time ;)  It's good that you're hooking your son on early.  I bet he'll get up to over 27 Spirits if you start him this young :pok: :rofl:  Maybe he'll send me a Spirit RTE :whistle: 

Great gift though.  I bet he'd play with that for hours just looking for things to tinker with...which could be a good or bad thing ;)
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD