Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Acid etched black patina... AKA FattsCo. BLACK STEEL!!!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Acid etched black patina... AKA FattsCo. BLACK STEEL!!!
on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:14 AM
Hey ya'll, I got bored... Like SO BORED.
So I kind of dipped some SAKs in acid to see what would happen. :facepalm:
Hold on. I know I know... but it's not as bad as it sounds.

In person it's a little bit lighter plus in the photo its covered in 3 in 1.

If you guys are interested in the process the do's and don't (I did a few) let me know.
I could do a more thorough right up, just not sure the interest is there.

Wanna thank RickinFl for the idea... :tu:
No stonewash... Only "Black Steel".

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Acid etched black patina... AKA FattsCo. BLACK STEEL!!!
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:09:15 AM
yep,  I am interested!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:54:59 AM
I am curious what you did here Fatts :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:19:32 AM
BTW, "black ice" is lustrous and and the same time dark(ish) grey. Why the name... Not quite the usual acid etching effect (matte and gray).

Still.. way over overpriced (on SAKs at least) (My 2c)

:cheers:

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:11:15 AM
He guys no big write up to night, tomorrow though.

It's a cool look but definite caveats...It is Acid.
I'm thinking lots of things. Dilute the acid more, maybe try a quick dip simply to resurface than maybe a long bath in some bluing agent. (yeah the stuff they use on guns)

Not sure, going to keep experimenting before I move on to my next project. This ain't nothing but R&D TBH.
Want dark steel to go with...well what I'm not willing to discuss just yet. You'll see...

I wouldn't recommend this on anything other than simple blade/shank tools. Blades, drivers, awl, etc...
It had adverse effects on the nail files and scissors of all the 58mm's dipped, and that was after just 10 minutes.

But I'll get into that tomorrow...

@Marius, can you try you method on a 58mm. (if you have any you'd be willing to destroy) Want to know if I can get the same dark steel look with less wear and tear on the tools. 
Have you tried the etching solution?
How corrosive is lemon and salt???

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:32:19 AM
I'm not loving the acid. For a simple pocket folder sure, maybe even a Vic Spartan, but for many of the tools on a SAK it's just to much.

I'm now set on bluing my SAK, I'll post here and in Ricks topic over in the mod squad.
It'll take me time to get the bluing. Couldn't find any tonight but I'll check sporting goods and even a few gun stores in the morning.
If not Amazon/Ebay for sure.

I'm sure a bluing would be a truer black as well. The acid etching gives you more of a deep gunmetal grey...But I'm going to continue calling it "Black Steel"... FattsCo. trademark.

Will still probably acid dip a Spartan tomorrow...maybe. Add some black plus scales and gift it to my sister. I think she'll love it...

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:17 AM
I think gun bluing is going to disappoint you. Most work only on Carbon steel, those who are advertised to work on stainless will work on some SS sorts, but not on all and AFAIK VVic steel is one of the ones it won´t work on - But I´m eagerly waiting to be proven wrong!

The blackest I know is Black Oxide coating, which is no DIY project - I own 2 Spartans Syph had BOed and they are really nice and black.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 06:22:32 PM
Got any spare parts to try those different options? Breaks my heart seeing you do that to a poor little defenseless Classic...

:-\ :cry:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:07:34 PM
I think gun bluing is going to disappoint you. Most work only on Carbon steel, those who are advertised to work on stainless will work on some SS sorts, but not on all and AFAIK VVic steel is one of the ones it won´t work on - But I´m eagerly waiting to be proven wrong!

The blackest I know is Black Oxide coating, which is no DIY project - I own 2 Spartans Syph had BOed and they are really nice and black.

Yup stainless is hard to well... stain. :D  Gun bluing wont do much if anything to change color.  It needs to be in a high temperature caustic (sodium hydroxide) solution to allow the magnetite to form.  Otherwise the Fe is pretty much locked up in the steel.

The funny thing is, the place I use to do this had been advertising the fact that they offer stainless black oxide but I am the only customer they have ever had to ask for it.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:03:08 PM
Oh, yeah. Bluing was a waste of money.
But I had to try it...

So acid is a little to much, bluing doesn't effect stainless. I might just do the acid. Just need an older style scissors with replaceable screw, so I can disassemble them and protect the edge and pivot point with nail polish... This should work.

There are other methods to obtain the look I'm going for, but they are a bit more expensive than what I've already tried. A lot of gun coatings would adhere to the stainless. (Cerokote, Aluma Hyde 2, etc...) Some would need to be baked on some wouldn't. This may be the only option for the look I'm going for, but as of now I'm spent on the hobby...

Was so distraught I made a Vagabond out of a Minichamp... For no good reason reason.
A Midnite Vagabond.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:27:54 PM by Fattsgalore »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28