Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Tinker, My Review.

afi1 · 25 · 7226

us Offline afi1

Victorinox Tinker, My Review.
on: November 27, 2013, 01:34:27 AM
I will preface this review by saying that I’m not going to tell you discerning folks anything you don’t already know.  I am, however, going to reiterate every good thing that people on this site have come to know and love about Victorinox Swiss Army Knives.

Up until a few months ago, I had never owned a Victorinox knife; at least not that I remember.  I do recall having a cheap Chinese copy as a child.  That knockoff abomination nearly ruined SAK’s for me.  The fit and finish was horrible and the steel was soft.  I remember that the Phillips driver easily rounded off, and I carried the memory of that for a long time.  Even while debating purchasing my Tinker in the store, I kept looking at the Phillips and wondering if it, too, would round itself off during regular use.  Lucky for me, I ignored this and bought it anyway.

First impressions were as good as they come.  The snap that everyone who owns or carries a Victorinox knows struck me immediately.  Each and every implement opens and closes with a snap of authority!  All pieces were nicely polished and all fit into their places without any contact with each other or the liners.  How a company manages to produce a knife with such immaculate fit, finish and function in Switzerland, ship it overseas to America, sell it for around $20 and still make a profit is beyond me.  I own knives 3 and 4 times the price of this tool that cannot compare.

The main and secondary blades are ludicrous sharp out of the package!  I was able to shave hair from my arm easily, and managed to cut the fool out of myself with it no less that 3 times.  I haven’t ever owned any super high end knives, but my Spyderco, Buck, SOG, CRKT, Gerber, Ka-Bar, Case and Cold Steel knives weren’t even close to the level of sharpness of my Tinker.

Aside from slicing through paper and arm hair with the blades, the first thing I really tested was the bottle opener on a few bottles of Sam Adams.  It worked like a charm!  Better even than some purpose built bottle openers I have. 

I quickly found an array of screws to test the Phillips driver on.  I was relieved to find no deformation to the tool’s tip.  It is also impressive that Victorinox was able to find such a good compromise with the driver size.  It doesn’t seem to be any particular size, but fits all but the smallest screws I’ve tried. 

The can opener is ingenious, too.  I’ve opened every can I could with the Vic since buying it.  Though slower than the actual can opener that I keep in the kitchen drawer, something about using the one on the SAK is just plain rewarding.  As just about everyone has noted in the reviews that I’ve watched or read, it also works fantastic as a makeshift Phillips driver.  As good as it works when used in that role, I can’t imagine it’s anything but by design.  Several times I’ve broken stubborn screws loose with the dedicated Phillips, then run them out with the can opener as it is less cumbersome. 

The flat head is equally good, and I have used for everything from prying open containers to adjusting a scope on one of my rifles.  Just like the Phillips, it seems to fit a wide variety of screws and is a good compromise in size.  The half stop is a nice touch, but I haven’t needed that much torque as of this writing.

I’ve put the drivers through more exhaustive work as well.  At work, a few door locks and knobs needed to be either removed, or disabled.  A few people laughed when they saw the red SAK come out.  Despite their harassment I completed the task easily.  It is only one example of real world use.  Since purchasing the knife, I can’t remember a single day going by that I didn’t use it to my advantage.

I have also been able to put the Vic’s blades to work on more serious tasks than slicing paper.  I used it with great success to skin and clean two Whitetail Deer.  The first deer was a nice 8pt buck my little Cousin bagged on the second day of the season.  My Uncle laughed out loud when I deployed the Tinker’s main blade and went to work skinning the animal.  He didn’t laugh long, as the razor sharp factory edge made quick work of the deer’s hide.  All skinning and cleaning was done with the SAK except for splitting the breast plate; a beater Gerber Gator was used for that.  The next day I shot and killed a Doe and skinned and cleaned her with the Vic as well.  No touchup sharpening was done after the two deer, and the blade could still slice paper with ease.

A few weeks later, I took the Tinker hunting again.  I bagged two squirrel, and cleaned both with it.  It easily sliced through the fur, skin, and even through small bones and joints.  All of this was still done with the factory edge. 

I did manage to nick the edge on the big blade when cutting through a re enforced rubber fuel line.  The Vic surprised me and easily push cut right through, like hot butter.  It cut so fast, in fact, that I pushed beyond what was needed and struck a piece of metal behind.  The blade was easily touched up with a stone and returned to it’s hair shaving sharpness.

My Tinker has not just impressed me.  After handling it and witnessing it’s usefulness, my Father purchased one.  It was a neat experience watching the knife make the same impression on my Dad as it had made on me.  For days he kept fondling it, opening it, shaving hair with it and the like.  He even managed to cut himself, too!

Suffice it to say I am a convert!  I’ve already compiled a list of future models to buy.  A Rambler and One Hand Trekker are near the top.  I’m sure I will be as impressed by them as I have been with my Tinker.  Thanks for reading guys, have a good day!

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Re: Victorinox Tinker, My Review.
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:52:08 AM
First real Vic eh??
My friend, you have just started down a long, long road littered with many small bright red objects  :)

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:28 AM
afi1,  if you think the Tinker is great, then try the Super Tinker

then

if you think the super tinker is nice, try the climber

then

you get the idea!   way more to go.  good luck
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:51 AM
Just so you know, MY first vic was also a Tinker, generously donated to me by JerseyDevil, last year.

Now, I own... emm...seven? Something like that.

And, I'm probably going to buy a few new ones tomorrow.  :whistle:

They are not just sharp, which is nice, but they're SUPER easy to REsharpen, which is important to me, since I'm not all that skilled at sharpening. The cap lifter/flathead is super useful. The awl will chew through oak. I am shocked at how often I use the toothpick.

EDIT: Detron, you are evil, and correct.  :rofl:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:29 AM
Great story, just think you have the wengers to go through also. I started with Vic's then Wengers. Love them both.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 03:04:55 AM
At first I thought that was human blood... :ahhh
Leatherman

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 03:39:44 AM
Nice write up.   :tu:  My first Vic was also a Tinker, and it's still one of my favorite basic SAKs, despite my collection growing slightly over the years.  ;)  As Lynn knows well, the Tinker is a good gateway SAK as well, gives you a taste and leaves you wanting more....  >:D  :D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:42:23 AM
Pusher! :D

JD: 'Yo, the first SAK is FREE!'

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:37 AM
Pusher! :D

JD: 'Yo, the first SAK is FREE!'

:D  Actually, consider yourself a valued customer!  You got a Recruit off of me too......  Have I mentioned the joys of the Gerber MP series to you?  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 05:15:18 AM
Great write-up on a great knife!   :tu:

Once you go SAK, you never go back.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:23:39 AM
Very nice write-up/story.  Great to see you started basic, but put it to serious work.  People sometimes forget SAKs can do big jobs too. 

I must say though you must be buying your Spydercos at the wrong place if they are not coming as sharp or sharper that the Vic.  I'll have to test a new one out of the box to see how Vic is fairing straight from the box these days. Maybe the other companies don't have the consistency which is one thing Vic has pretty much nailed.  All I've tried from new recently is a few 111mm; now they are sharp, but I wouldn't say they are better than the other quality folders.

They are still the best pocket knives once you find the model(s) that suits your needs.

Happy SAK Adventures   :drink:

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 05:51:57 AM
I like these type of topics, people sharing their experiences with SAKs. :)
I'm pretty new, only been carrying a SAK for about 2 years started with a 58mm and only recently moved onto a 91mm. For a non SAK guy 58mm are those keychain freindly SAKs and the Tinker's frame size is the 91mm.

My SAK of choice is called the Compact, a two layer like the Tinker but with blade, scissors, and a combo tool. (driver, can and bottle opener all in one)

Have you thought about a second purchase?
Maybe a Huntsman since your in the woods, they come with wood saw and scissors. Target has them on sale with a Pouch for about $23.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 08:31:09 AM
Fine review there mate! They are ridiculously handy aren't they :)

You need a Victorinox Farmer or three now :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:02 AM
The tinker is a great sak,jerseydevil gave me mine as well a few years ago and i love it and it shows on the worn scales  :D,next favourites for me are the swisschamp, wenger si,and explorer, looks like your tinker is seeing plenty of action  :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:09 AM
How do squirrels taste? Are they any good?

Fine review there mate! They are ridiculously handy aren't they :)

You need a Victorinox Farmer or three now :D
+1 The alox scales give it just the little extra, making you think that this is such an awesome SAK you will never need another one anymore  :whistle: >:D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 01:34:38 PM
They taste great. And fun as hell to hunt them.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 04:20:13 PM
Brilliant stuff!  I love the photos.   :cheers:  I realized that the SAK is a versatile tool but I must admit I had never imagined using any of mine for skinning squirrels.  I must have lead a sheltered life.   :facepalm:

Are you tempted by the Hunter XS?  I love the double one hand opening blades and the orange scales.   :drool:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Hunter+XS
Vic Hunter XS.jpg
* Vic Hunter XS.jpg (Filesize: 110.21 KB)

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 07:15:41 PM
A tinker was my first victorinox also.  I managed to drop the knife and the red scale chipped on the cement.  Ive since replaced it with blue see thru scales.

I bet you would really like the farmer.  Alox scales seem unbreakable and the blade is thicker.  The drawback is that it only has one blade and no toothpick or tweezers

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:22 PM
(...)
Suffice it to say I am a convert!  I’ve already compiled a list of future models to buy.  A Rambler and One Hand Trekker are near the top.  I’m sure I will be as impressed by them as I have been with my Tinker.  Thanks for reading guys, have a good day!

One of us! One of us! One of us!...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:32 PM
(...)

One of us! One of us! One of us!...

:D :D :D :D

Oh yes, yet another soul corrupted by us >:D

:D

PS: We are MTO, for we are many >:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:51 PM
Man, I hope you thoroughly cleaned that SAK afterwards.  :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 11:27:30 PM

I don't own a Tinker but I think it is a great minimalist SAK - it has the main commonly used tools and is very compact in size.
The Super Tinker is basically the same but with scissors added.

The one thing I don't understand about the Rambler is why everyone doesn't have one on their keyring - it is a seriously useful SAK.  Or if you need a pen then the Manager is a good alternative.
For me it is the keyring with the house keys that has a Rambler and the keyring with the motorcycle & work keys that has a Manager (I need a pen at work fairly regularly).

The One Handed Trekker is probably one of the best choices for camping/hunting/skinning deer.
You get the can opener/small screwdriver & bottle opener/pry tool/large screwdriver (which locks) and also a decent sized beefy blade that can be opened with one hand and also locks.  You would be amazed at how well that saw works too!

Clearly you need one of these!
Like in this picture mine is the NS (non-serrated) version, because that is what I prefer.
Keep it sharp and you just don't need serrations!

I also really like my Ranger for camping and general use, I find having a file quite useful for grinding a little metal/wood/plastic to make things fit or whatever.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Ranger
It really isn't all that big or heavy despite being a 5-layer SAK.

Then you should get a Farmer for a taste of alox!
Get one and you will know why.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline afi1

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 03:20:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!  Since there are tons of suggestions, I'll divulge my list.

As mentioned before, a Rambler and One Hand Trekker are near the top.  A Hiker, Cadet and Pioneer are there, too.  As far as Wenger goes, there are a few I want.  Namely a Evo Grip S18 and a Ranger Grip 78.  You will notice that none of these tools have cork screws or parcel hooks...  I really don't care for them at all.  Luck for me, enough great tools are made without them.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 03:53:32 PM
Man, I hope you thoroughly cleaned that SAK afterwards.  :D

:twak:
blood.jpg
* blood.jpg (Filesize: 111.73 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 07:12:27 PM
Thank you very much for the review. It was really interesting to read your experiences with it.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%