Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New cutter desing and little runt on Leathermans.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New cutter desing and little runt on Leathermans.
Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 09:51:53 PM
Case in point, Case knives for me.  I listened to the BS said and read one too many bad reviews.  I read and watched one too many IMO unfair comparisons as well.  When I finally pulled the trigger I was so happy I finally did and a bit miffed.  I can see what some complained about however for me and my uses they more than fit the bill. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #31 on: February 02, 2024, 12:22:38 PM
I have the older style wire cutters on a Wave dated 2018 and find that even they work better if you don’t jam the wire quite all the way back into the hard wire notch. FWIW I find that the newer style cutters work well too.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:11:48 PM by Magic Bus »
Gabba gabba hey!!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #32 on: February 02, 2024, 12:50:43 PM
I have the older style wire cutters on a Wave dated 2018 and find that even they work better if you don’t jam the wire quite all the way back into the hard wire notch. FWIW I find that the newer style cutters work well too.
True that works when you try to slight higher than bottom, but like me i usually dont much look what part i cut. Usually i cut quite lot zipties with my Wave and its annoying when it doesbt do clean cut so i need to cut same ziptie twice (never ever again im gonna pull that rest away) if cutters has only small hole it cuts cleanly easily and if it has bigger no clean cut on zipties or wires.

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #33 on: February 02, 2024, 01:09:09 PM
True that works when you try to slight higher than bottom, but like me i usually dont much look what part i cut. Usually i cut quite lot zipties with my Wave and its annoying when it doesbt do clean cut so i need to cut same ziptie twice (never ever again im gonna pull that rest away) if cutters has only small hole it cuts cleanly easily and if it has bigger no clean cut on zipties or wires.

Only Tools Matters

I get where you’re coming from but I  usually just use the soft wire  cutters for cable ties.
Gabba gabba hey!!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #34 on: February 02, 2024, 01:26:54 PM
I get where you’re coming from but I  usually just use the soft wire  cutters for cable ties.
Its faster to me use my MT than trying to find cutters somewhere. I just wish they could just bit look what kind cutters come throught since 2-3mm hole is bit too much for cutters

Only Tools Matters

Offline cnlson

Reply #35 on: February 06, 2024, 06:37:37 PM
It does seem to be a design flaw leaving a gap in the cutters. They must have known about it before releasing the new tool. I can't think of any reason they would purposely design then like that. Time will tell if the cutters that are breaking is a widespread problem or not.

I've said it before but I think Leatherman has lost its way.

So, on my 2021 charge + it has the cutters with a square bottom edge. If you grip a larger bolt the cutters rotate just enough to grind that bottom edge against the plier jaw. Which necessitates loosening and rotating the cutters back. I'd assume rolling the bottom edge is to stop that as my 2022 orange g10 had the rounded edge and didn't have the same problem when gripping bolts.

I'd argue the original design flaw is the replaceable cutters all together. But having one cutter size for many different plier head sizes is also in the running.
Locating the cutters with one screw another.

On the cutters cracking, Leatherman said it was a batch with heat treating problem and they're replacing those cutters for free for those that contact cs.

nl Offline Dion0543

Reply #36 on: February 08, 2024, 09:34:03 AM
Everyone is complaining about the new cutters but everyone should know that those are soft cutters. Beneath it on the tool are the hard cutters for big stuff (close where the wire strippers are)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #37 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:39 AM
Everyone is complaining about the new cutters but everyone should know that those are soft cutters. Beneath it on the tool are the hard cutters for big stuff (close where the wire strippers are)
Nope, there is no wirestripper on cutters, first part from top is wire cutter and bottom part is Hardwire cutters. LM has own tool for wirestripping. That gap is just desing error. And if it somehowe is Wirestripper it would be even bigger desing flaw since LM allready has dedicated wirestripper on can opener so wirestripper wouldnt make any sense to be on cutters that was meant to cut.

If look also tool specs on LM sites it only shows on Cutters Wire Cutters and Hardwire Cutters

Only Tools Matters

nl Offline Dion0543

Reply #38 on: February 08, 2024, 10:05:49 AM
Nope, there is no wirestripper on cutters, first part from top is wire cutter and bottom part is Hardwire cutters. LM has own tool for wirestripping. That gap is just desing error. And if it somehowe is Wirestripper it would be even bigger desing flaw since LM allready has dedicated wirestripper on can opener so wirestripper wouldnt make any sense to be on cutters that was meant to cut.

If look also tool specs on LM sites it only shows on Cutters Wire Cutters and Hardwire Cutters

Only Tools Matters

Hmm okay I will do some research some people confirm it some people don’t

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #39 on: February 08, 2024, 10:10:58 AM
Hmm okay I will do some research some people confirm it some people don’t
Problem on those cutters that hardwire that most new cutters had way too big gap, small gap on hardwire cutters is ok but if you can put 2mm drill throught its too big. What i have now read and heard those cutters was removed and replaced with right ones.

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD