Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New surge not sharp

nl Offline Dion0543

New surge not sharp
on: February 08, 2024, 09:07:17 AM
Heya all

It’s my first time here and I recently bought my first Leatherman surge. The first Multitool I own.

After unboxing it (it was sealed) the blade is not sharp also the serated blade is not sharp and the awl is not sharp either.

What do I mean by not sharp? It doesn’t cut paper.
I bought it new here in the Netherlands

{edit} it also has micro scratches all over it and I have not yet used the tool
I am not really good at sharpening stuff so I don’t know what to do really..

Anyone knows why it is t sharp? From what I have seen it should be razor sharp out of the box

Greetings from the Netherlands

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:26:38 AM by Dion0543 »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New surge not sharp
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 01:49:35 PM
Hello and welcome  :cheers:

Get yourself a Lansky Turnbox ceramic Rod Sharpener. They should have come sharp but they will dull with use anyway so might as well be prepared.

Really easy to use, reasonable price and does a great job.

https://www.amazon.com/4-Rod-Turn-Box-Sharpener-Sharpening/dp/B0BN4Y6ZS3/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=410084358191&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9019690&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9135202489709198075&hvtargid=kwd-275151021005&hydadcr=3405_11374422&keywords=lansky+turn+box+knife+sharpener&qid=1707396439&sr=8-3

nl Offline Dion0543

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:47:54 PM
Hello and welcome  :cheers:

Get yourself a Lansky Turnbox ceramic Rod Sharpener. They should have come sharp but they will dull with use anyway so might as well be prepared.

Really easy to use, reasonable price and does a great job.

https://www.amazon.com/4-Rod-Turn-Box-Sharpener-Sharpening/dp/B0BN4Y6ZS3/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=410084358191&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9019690&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9135202489709198075&hvtargid=kwd-275151021005&hydadcr=3405_11374422&keywords=lansky+turn+box+knife+sharpener&qid=1707396439&sr=8-3

Ah thankyou, I tryed to sharpen it a bit with the diamond blade, it has improved a little bit but I am not experienced in sharpening things, I will look into the tool you linked and then see if it is available here in Europe :)

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 07:32:19 PM
I have not observed a Serrated blade unable cut paper,  with the peaks and valleys those will cut any thing.

The main blade could be as simple as edge fold from being given to much time on one side over the other.

Steve’s advice is good, time to learn and do with a good tool.

In the mean time, if you have a ceramic coffee cup in the cupboard, flip it over, and run your blade across the bottom of the cup holding the blade at a slight angle. And do same on both sides, maybe 20-30 passes each.

Others like to strop new blades against a sturdy leather belt!   Secure the belt, hold taught and run the blade across the belt ‘s rough surface with the blade edge dragging. Repeat to both sides multiple times.

This should be done after anytime you sharpen anyways as any fine edge on either side needs to be removed.

* A daughter working in Spain, had.a furnished apartment in Spain at school she was teaching, not a sharp knife in the drawers. She sharpened every knife in less than 30 minutes using a tea cup!!!
And I only explained the tip once in case her SAK ever got dull!
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nl Offline Dion0543

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 08:51:35 AM
I have not observed a Serrated blade unable cut paper,  with the peaks and valleys those will cut any thing.

The main blade could be as simple as edge fold from being given to much time on one side over the other.

Steve’s advice is good, time to learn and do with a good tool.

In the mean time, if you have a ceramic coffee cup in the cupboard, flip it over, and run your blade across the bottom of the cup holding the blade at a slight angle. And do same on both sides, maybe 20-30 passes each.

Others like to strop new blades against a sturdy leather belt!   Secure the belt, hold taught and run the blade across the belt ‘s rough surface with the blade edge dragging. Repeat to both sides multiple times.

This should be done after anytime you sharpen anyways as any fine edge on either side needs to be removed.

* A daughter working in Spain, had.a furnished apartment in Spain at school she was teaching, not a sharp knife in the drawers. She sharpened every knife in less than 30 minutes using a tea cup!!!
And I only explained the tip once in case her SAK ever got dull!

Thankyou for the advice, and you are right I have to learn to sharpen. I think I will wait until I have the funds and buy a proper sharpening tool while I am at it.

I am from the motto buy a great tool once and never look back the same I did with the leatherman surge. So I will look into with sharpening tool fits me the best after some research and looking what the options are  :cheers:

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 01:32:27 PM
Knowledge can't be stolen, it's a good thing to have.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 01:57:59 PM
Thankyou for the advice, and you are right I have to learn to sharpen. I think I will wait until I have the funds and buy a proper sharpening tool while I am at it.

I am from the motto buy a great tool once and never look back the same I did with the leatherman surge. So I will look into with sharpening tool fits me the best after some research and looking what the options are  :cheers:

If you want to spend a bit more the Spyderco Sharpmaker is a good option   :tu:

nl Offline Dion0543

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 11:37:53 PM
If you want to spend a bit more the Spyderco Sharpmaker is a good option   :tu:

Thanks I will check it out  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31