Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Pleatherman Thread

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
The Pleatherman Thread
on: December 19, 2013, 12:40:05 PM
As I just said in another thread, I don't think the new tools Leatherman have coming out are worthy of the Leatherman name.  When I think leather, I think of something that is quality and will last.  These new "tools" make me think of pleather, since they remind me of something cheap that won't last.

Someone at Leatherman needs to hear our cries and STOP THIS MADNESS!  I love my TTi, I love my MUT, I love my ST200 and I love my PST.  These are quality LM tools.  I know they still have good tools, but their R&D department needs to open their eyes; maybe spend some time here reading what Leatherman fans really want in a tool.

Maybe you'll say that were just an oddball group of collectors, which is true, but we are also users, and have certain expectations of what we expect from an MT.  Just look at Vic for an example.  I highly doubt they'd go and do anything to ruin their reputation, or the quality or appeal of their tools.

Leatherman, please return to your roots and start producing good usable high quality tools again.

us Online David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Pleatherman Thread
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:23:26 PM
This type of madness has infected most business's in the US. I do not see an end to it any time soon.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:28:47 PM
As much as I agree with you,I think the thing is that Leatherman are trying to grow Thier potential market.

As you say,we are oddballs,because you don't really actually need any more than one SAK or LM. And although we are users,as you say, most normal users are satisfied with just one tool.

Admittedly,I can't quite see why the LM marketing goons have focused on surfers ans snowboarders,where you think there'd be a market for,er woolly person friendly utility items,or tools/knives that are actually rust free!

Perhaps,if you come up with some ideas, LM might take a look?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:31:42 PM
I agree with David.

Companies cranking out a specialty market product, for a limited time if it doesn't catch on, and then move one.  No rigorous engineering, just one or two novel tools set in a previously established platform.

I think it's sort of a traveling carnival approach to the multitool industry. :-\

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:12:40 PM
Perhaps,if you come up with some ideas, LM might take a look?

They do solicit ideas from customers.  See
http://www.leatherman.com/faqs.html#q08

"Quit making crap and start making decent quality tools" may be a bit too general, though.   :D

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:25:30 PM
I'm not trying to defend these new tools, but I can see how they could be a worthwhile risk for Leatherman. Like Mr. Whippy said, there's no real engineering cost to add one or two new "tools" to an existing platform. If that helps them sell a few extra tools by marketing to the extreme sports crowd, then it pays off for them. If it bombs, then it's not much of a loss.

I can't remember Leatherman catching this much flak when they released EOD versions of certain tools (ST300, MUT). It's really the same basic idea -- add a couple new tools to an existing platform and market it with a slightly higher MSRP. Granted, I think the EOD tools are more useful, but then again, I'm not in the military, nor do I snowboard/surf.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 06:31:16 AM
  Just look at Vic for an example.  I highly doubt they'd go and do anything to ruin their reputation, or the quality or appeal of their tools.

Autotool? Hunter Pro? Made-in-China luggage?

There's not a company on earth that hasn't had missteps. It seems to me like some of these sports-oriented tools are being marketed to the type that would never buy a traditional multitool, and given the probable cost of development vs the retail price and potential number of sales, could very well be a reasonable move by Leatherman.

Now if they start marketing Leatherman leatherwear, well...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:32:50 AM by Yalius »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD