Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pondering SAK Pairings

us Offline BradGad

Pondering SAK Pairings
on: December 13, 2013, 12:24:36 AM
I carried a Climber for decades, and was perfectly happy with it... Ah, those lost days of innocence, when I had one SAK and could totally bond with it ("the heart-warming tale of a boy and his pocketknife").

Then I discovered how good the saw is, around the same time my lifestyle changed (more camping and bushcraft, more DIY projects) so that I truly needed the saw pretty often.

After that, everything was up in the air... the smallest SAK that has all the tools I really want is the Huntsman Plus. Great knife, but pretty thick. Carrying it vertically (with either a TEK P-7 pocket clip or a weighted lanyard that hangs outside the pocket) makes it acceptable for pocket carry, but still... "acceptable" is not "ideal".

Lately I've been experimenting with combos of SAKs that give me my "must have" tools in form factors that are truly pocketable.

"Heavy Duty": Farmer + Rambler. Ah, the mighty Farmer. Great knife. The Rambler makes a sweet companion. Compared with the Huntsman Plus, we lose several tools (corkscrew, pin, mini-screwdriver, parcel hook, pen), but pick up a stronger knife blade, a best-in-class awl, and the terrific 58 mm magnetized Phillips. Alas, the corkscrew is one of my "must haves",* but this is such a great match-up that I want to list it anyway. For those who don't require the corkscrew, it's nigh-on perfect. (I use the toothpick all the time, perhaps the most of any tool... for normal people, the Manager might be a better choice over the Rambler.)

"Town & Country": Compact/Camper. Complementary knives rather than a standard combo. Instead of carrying two knives together, I swap out depending on the order of the day: the Compact for days at the office or at conferences; the Camper the rest of the time. The Camper is the thickest SAK that I consider truly pocketable for any clothes (the Climber/Climber Plus is just a fraction of a smidge over the line). This set-up works well, but occassionally I'm caught wishing for either the scissors or awl.

"High Feature": Camper + Manager. Again comparing to the Huntsman Plus, by dropping the parcel hook (oh dear!), we pick up the terrrific magnetized Phillips, an extra knife blade (the better to keep one edge pristine for fine cuts when truly needed), and a nail file. A good trade off. This is the combo I'm leaning toward at present.

Does anyone else have combos they're partial too?

* Footnote: Why is the corkscrew a "must have"? Because I really need it for getting tight knots out of paracord when camping, because I like the mini-screwdriver it holds, and because if I were ever at a gathering where a corkscrew was called for, and I couldn't save the day with my SAK, I would feel like a total worthless doofus.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Pondering SAK Pairings
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:34:13 AM
That's an interesting way of looking at things.

I've a bad habit of being hooked up on the need for scissors and Phillips. I keep forgetting just how capable the Rambler and Manager are. I need to remember that the Pioneer and the Farmer are perfectly complemented by the little 58mm powerhouses.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:31:09 AM
How about adding a few plier MTs to the mix? :pok:
Leatherman

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 05:46:41 AM
Why is the corkscrew a "must have"? Because I really need it for getting tight knots out of paracord when camping, because I like the mini-screwdriver it holds, and because if I were ever at a gathering where a corkscrew was called for, and I couldn't save the day with my SAK, I would feel like a total worthless doofus.

Well said.   :cheers:

Re combos, here are a few that I like:

Alox Soldier + Classic.  Classic takes care of personal grooming needs with scissors, nail file, toothpick, and tweezers.  With a solid main blade, thick cap lifter/flat screwdriver/small pry tool, excellent awl, and the can opener/flat Phillips, the Soldier takes care of everything else.  A comparable single SAK (though it falls somewhat short of the Soldier in several ways) might be the Mountaineer, which at four layers is one layer too thick for comfortable pocket carry IMO.

Centurion + Classic.  Basically the same as above, except the 93mm awl and extra ruggedness of alox scales are exchanged for the even heavier duty locking blade and cap lifter/flat screwdriver/small pry tool of the 111mm liner-locking series, plus a usable T-handle Phillips.  To get scissors and a file on a 111mm knife, one has to go to the Workchamp (a very large package at six 111mm layers), and even then the cap lifter/flat screwdriver/small pry tool of the side-locking series can't hold a candle to its counterpart on the liner-locking 111mm knives.

Climber + P4.  Perhaps my favorite.  On my days off, I generally don't feel under-prepared with the Climber only.  I find it very pocket-able in every pair of pants I own, and use almost all (if not all) of the tools on it.  When I do add the P4, I appreciate it mostly for its wire cutters, excellent small flat driver (which also works on a lot of smallish Phillips screws and which it was criminal not to include on the PS4/ES4, but that's a separate thread), and file (OK, I end up using the file mostly for fingernails, but it is nice to know it is an honest wood/metal file if the need arises).  To get this tool load out in a single SAK, I believe the smallest option would be the six-layer Handyman, and even a mod couldn't be less than five layers.

I suppose I should go back and add "+ PWII" to all of the above, since I always have it in my wallet...

Offline jrp316

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:30 PM
My favorite pairing so far has been a couple of modded knives: a Syph007 Urban Mechanic (Pioneer with pliers) and my own 58mm Midnight Drifter (Drifter model with a USB key, LED light and pen scales). Those two pretty much have anything I'd ever need.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 04:46:48 PM
"Climber + P4"   :tu:

Or maybe Sportsman + PS4 

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:03:33 PM
Without wanting to derail this thread, this is how I carry thicker saks.  I have twisted some copper wire but the addition of another small split ring would achieve the same.  It means the saks lays flat against my pocket.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

Without wanting to derail this thread, this is how I carry thicker saks.  I have twisted some copper wire but the addition of another small split ring would achieve the same.  It means the saks lays flat against my pocket.(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

I make a paracord loop with a clasp.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 07:50:40 PM
I like this topic, speaks of ones mentality and philosophy of use with SAKs. Pairing SAKs is simply a good idea. Essential equipment and some back ups tools.

"A tiny tool for tiny task." is how I normally describe the 58mm to people. Its true they're tiny; they've always punched above their weight class TBH, but moving into the realm of the 91mm SAK I now say "Theses are serious tools for serious work" cause they are... So now I carry both.

My 58mm still gets more use day to day, but I don't go anywhere without a 91mm either on my person or in my bag.
I can't say the models cause they don't exist in a Vic catalog, I mod and therefore assemble models that don't exist.
This is my combo...

Good look IMO.
Both SAKs in pics have been modded since the photo was taken but essentially this is the what I carry.

@BradGad if you get into modding you'll be able to make your dream SAK... I did :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 07:24:53 AM
On one set of keys I have a Rambler and on another set of keys I have a Manager (vehicle key, work key, 1 x AAA flashlight, Manager - great combo for work). I don't generally leave the house without one or both sets of keys so I always have either the Ramber or Manager or both with me.

But I do feel the limitation of such a small SAK now & then.

On the other hand I don't want to be carrying anything bulky or heavy while I'm working.

I think I need to choose a larger SAK to keep in my bag so that I have the bigger/extra tools available when I need them, just today I wished I had a decent flat screwdriver handy so I could tighten a hose clamp.
So yeah, good idea to pair up SAKs to cover a variety of needs.

When I was doing computer work I paired up a Cybertool 34 with a Multitool (originally a Leatherman Wave, then my Victorinox SwissTool X) so that I had some other tools that the Cybertool lacked, like a file, saw, big pliers, etc.

For camping/hiking/hunting there is always the option of carrying a SAK that does most of what you need and putting something with more options in your pack.
It could be the Farmer in the pocket and a Ranger in the pack or whatever else suits your needs.  The pocket SAK should be able to handle 90% of your needs, while the tool in your pack should be able to handle the other stuff.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline BradGad

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 02:58:05 PM
@BradGad if you get into modding you'll be able to make your dream SAK... I did :D

Hey Fatts...  I'm thinking about it!  Someone on the modders forum explained to me how, by using the springs from a Champion, you can put an awl backside of the saw, which I would need to make my dream SAK. Which would be either:

Trailrunner: Large blade, combo tool, saw, awl, corkscrew, pen, pin, mini-screwdriver  ... or ...

Compact Huntsman Plus: Large blade, combo tool, saw, scissors, awl, hook w/ file, corkscrew, pen, pin, mini-screwdriver.

I picked up a used Champion on eBay...  once I find a cannibalize-able Compact, I can give it a try. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:13:53 PM by BradGad »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:15 PM
OHT and Executive work good together.
Fireman and Classic.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Offline NG VI

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 03:28:20 PM
I think the Alox Bantam and Executive are a great pair!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 04:11:27 AM
Hmm, if you could add the Rambler phillips to an Exec, it would be the ultimate light duty all in one.  Or scissors to a bantam, but then again, I need the nail file.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 04:14:34 AM
Pioneer + alox rambler make a great city team.  Farmer + red classic if in the woods.  With 91mm, the +B Yeoman is rather attractive by itself.  $65 aint cheap, but it saves one alot of opportunity cost. 

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 09:19:24 AM
@Bradgrad,
Yes! Yes to both. :D  I love the scissors so I'd personally go Compact Huntsman Plus... Just with a more appealing name.

Just got done adding pliers to a Compact. For good measure I threw in some electronic + scales from a Traveller.   

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 09:30:52 AM

Just got done adding pliers to a Compact. For good measure I threw in some electronic + scales from a Traveller.   

So that would be a compact-mechanic...   sounds like a vertically challenged grease-monkey  :)

I'm thinking of making up an alox scaled Wenger Pocket Tool Chest to pair with a SI

also planning an alox Executive to pair with my current work EDC Electrician

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 09:52:47 AM
Yes to all your ideas. Do it all. Even though Alox looks very hard to do properly. I'm not ready for that yet...

I like to name my projects unique names while staying in tune with Victorinox's methodology of naming their models after titles for people, jobs, occupations, etc. I could call my project the "Adventurer" staying in tune with the other 91mm electronic scaled SAKs. (Traveller, Voyager, Expidition Lite)
But I like Watchman... Coining Nite Watchman as well... You'll see.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:10:02 AM by Fattsgalore »

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 10:02:39 AM
A compact + pliers would be pretty cool.  Make sure to have a backside phillips though!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 01:26:34 PM
A compact + pliers would be pretty cool.  Make sure to have a backside phillips though!
Sr Mechanic
Don't know if they still make that one.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 07:25:03 AM
I tore down my mod. Had some complications so I reconfigured the tool set as well as swapped in some vintage parts; scissors with screw and no back tool and square Phillips with can key.

So much happier with the newer configuration...
Definitely need to take some pics in the morn.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%