Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Juice mod: Inserting the new pivots

Offline fishbulb59

Leatherman Juice mod: Inserting the new pivots
on: March 03, 2017, 11:58:46 PM
Howdy, everyone! I've been lurking for a while, but it's finally time for me to ask for some proper help.

After having tried several different tools, I really think the Leatherman Juice S2 "Slim Jim" mod is what I'm after. I'm somewhat handy with tools, so I figured I'd give it a go myself.

I bought the standard 1/8" pivots and a pocket clip from KnifeKits, and I found a reasonably good-condition S2 on eBay. I didn't have many problems getting the existing rivets out; I dremeled off the tops rivet heads, then used a hammer and punch to knock everything out.

Reassembly is where I ran into problems. It seems like the 1/8" pivots are just too big. Almost everything was an interference fit, and even when I managed to get one side back together, the tools were all significantly tighter than they were with the stock rivets. I couldn't even get the pivot through one of sets of tools on the other side; it's now bent, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get it out.

Am I missing something? do I need to drill out the rivets with a proper 1/8" bit to widen the holes a bit? Should I be able to put the new pivots in with a few light mallet taps, or should it be hard? Did I get a 'lemon' of an S2 from eBay?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Juice mod: Inserting the new pivots
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 12:50:31 AM
The Juice is known to be a difficult platform to work with but if you are getting the springs to sit right you should be halfway there. I can give a few recommendations without being very knowledgeable.

1. Everything is clean right, this is like the "have you tried rebooting it" question...
2. Try comparing how well the tools move on the pivots without the springs or anything.  Just to see if there is any difference there.
3. If the pivot is slightly thicker than the original it is probably easier to mount the pivots in a drill and polish them down carefully than to drill or the holes. 

Offline fishbulb59

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:51:52 AM
Ah, good call—for some reason, I hadn't thought of sanding down the pivots. Guess I'll have to order another set. :) As far as setting the springs, that wasn't very difficult at all. The "close the tool, stick them in, and beat them with a hammer" method worked like a champ!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:09:56 AM
Ah, good call—for some reason, I hadn't thought of sanding down the pivots. Guess I'll have to order another set. :) As far as setting the springs, that wasn't very difficult at all. The "close the tool, stick them in, and beat them with a hammer" method worked like a champ!

I'm liking your style F  :tu:

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:13:39 PM
If you have to enlarge the holes you can use a concrete carbide drill bit you can find them at any hardware store. I have only found the cheap ones in 1/8 inch. They enlarge holes really good like drilling butter. To make new holes I had to make a small pilot hole. I used a Dewalt X2 cobalt it also worked well.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:15:09 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline fishbulb59

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 04:24:41 PM
haha, thanks sparky :)

Well, I have some new pivots on the way. I'll probably try sanding them down first. I presume I need to go up to a pretty high grit so the tools will still pivot nicely. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get another S2 and drill it with a 1/8" bit. Thanks, everyone!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 01:52:17 AM
The knifekits ones are horrible spec lately.  I highly recommend the ones from alpha knife supply.  I used those on a juice mod and didn't have to do anything to the tool pivot holes.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline fishbulb59

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:18 AM
The knifekits ones are horrible spec lately.  I highly recommend the ones from alpha knife supply.  I used those on a juice mod and didn't have to do anything to the tool pivot holes.

Interesting... well, my second round of parts from KnifeKits will be here on thursday. Guess I'll give it a try anyway :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%