Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK OHO bevel - forester and alike

br Offline aefavant

• It's not IF, but WHEN ;-)
SAK OHO bevel - forester and alike
on: December 26, 2013, 09:34:21 PM
Hi everyone.

I got a OHO Forester and noticed the angle is one-sided only. Both parts of the blade (serrated and plain) are chiseled.
Although I think this will actually be easier to sharpen when needed I don't understand WHY this change in how Vic sharpens the blade....why sharpen only on side keeping the other at a 90º angle?
Is there any special reason,,,is it better for the intended use? Which intended use would it be?

-tnx

-Ants
SAKs Mountaineer / MiniChamp / Forester OHO DualDensity / *Spartan 115yr Ed Ltd / Camping / Scort Red / Climber London Esp. 2013 / Spartan Rio de Janeiro Esp. 2013 / Farmer / Alox Cadet Plus Sunset Orange / Ranger / 2x Solo 108mm / Climber Ecoline + Wenger Serrated Tool Chest / Wenger "Old" Ranger 05 120mm

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: SAK OHO bevel - forester and alike
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:53:51 PM
I think it's quite common for serrated blades to be chisel-ground... I'm not sure what the pro's and con's are, though...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:51:11 PM
Pro: it's cheaper and easier to make.
Con: I find it harder to cut where I'm trying to cut.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:05:52 AM
Technically, the unsharpened side isn't at 90 degrees since you have the angle of the blade's primary grind. I've always found it a bit difficult to properly sharpen that kind of edge, but with time I get better at it. That being said, I am just not a fan of the OH serrated blade on Vics. Not for me.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 04:22:00 AM
I too don't like serration and not as much a fan for the chisel ground, but to the original op, I think the only reason(other than cheaper/easier to make) is it's easy to grind both the partial serration/plain edge when they are both chisel ground.  And depending on the grind, it might favor either right-handed or left-handed person when it comes to slicing.

br Offline aefavant

• It's not IF, but WHEN ;-)
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 02:21:41 PM
Look what I found today searching the net:

Chisel ground blades:

Chisel ground blades are exactly what you think they might be, chisel shaped.  This grind is most often found on chisels but can also be found on other types of blades such as high end Japanese chef knives, modern folders and some modern “art” tactical knives.  Chisel ground blades have only a single bevel on one side of the blade and the other side is completely flat.  Similar to a flat Sabre ground blade the bevel of a chisel ground blade  will start about mid-way between the spine and edge and will then taper in a straight line towards the edge, but this only happens on one side of the blade.  Chisel grind creates a sharp edge but requires constant maintenance due to the single bevel.  Often the angle of the bevel for chisel ground blades is slightly more obtuse (25°-35°) to create a more durable edge.  This grind is ideal for woodworking because you can follow the wood grain in relation to the bevel.  It is also used in kitchen knives because the flat side of the blade helps separate slices of food being chopped up.

Original link: http://lansky.com/index.php/blog/knife-edge-grinds-and-uses/
SAKs Mountaineer / MiniChamp / Forester OHO DualDensity / *Spartan 115yr Ed Ltd / Camping / Scort Red / Climber London Esp. 2013 / Spartan Rio de Janeiro Esp. 2013 / Farmer / Alox Cadet Plus Sunset Orange / Ranger / 2x Solo 108mm / Climber Ecoline + Wenger Serrated Tool Chest / Wenger "Old" Ranger 05 120mm

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%