Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Zippo hand warmer

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Zippo hand warmer
on: December 29, 2013, 07:54:48 AM
I received one of the zippo hand warmers for christmas and gave it its first go as a trial run and i noticed it does not get very hot. Honestly if it does not work better it is no wear near warm enough to even consider carrying and using it. Im wondering if its just because it needs to be "broken in" or if this is a normal thing. If anyone has experience with one of these i would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you everyone.
I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: Zippo hand warmer
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:50 AM
I have one (not aZippo brand) running on lighter fuel.
It does get warm, but not really hot - I can hold it in my hand easily, but cannot place the unwrapped heater on the back of my hand comfortably, if that helps in evaluating the temp range.

I find it quite comfortabe in a jacket pocket on a cold day out.
Indeed i think about getting a second one to warm and dry boots after wet hike.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10:03 PM
It's many to be carried inside a jacket pocket which is a relatively small area that can be heated easily.  I hang mine around my neck under a sweater, under my jacket and in an enclosed area like that the heat really builds up.

It's an odd feeling to keep something that's full of accelerant and on fire inside your clothing, but it really does work!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:48:17 PM

It's an odd feeling to keep something that's full of accelerant and on fire inside your clothing, but it really does work!

Def

I think they just might have a new marketing slogan right  there. :D

I've wondered about these myself, but I'm generally not out in the cold long enough to really need one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:56:12 PM
I am.  At least once a week I get to stand out in the cold all day or night, and that's at a local port where the cold wind off the ocean also brings a fair bit of ocean spray as well.  It is one of the more unpleasant places to spend a day.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:31:37 PM
I am.  At least once a week I get to stand out in the cold all day or night, and that's at a local port where the cold wind off the ocean also brings a fair bit of ocean spray as well.  It is one of the more unpleasant places to spend a day.

Def

You can also get battery powered ones (not Zippo), as well as battery powered foot, hand and knee warmers.  I got one that runs on 2 x AA eneloop batteries which has 2 settings (warm and "a bit warmer") that my missus uses sometimes.  I think you'd need a fair few AA batteries to run it all day. 

Depending on how much you have to move around maybe some of the stuff designed for motorcyclists connected to a plug-in bigger 12v battery may be of use, and I think there are some warmers designed for snow skiers etc that run off bigger 3.7v li-ion batteries may be of interest.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:14:17 PM
Bosch makes a heated jacket that use their 12v lithium drill battery, only seen it on amazon, no experience with it.

Columbia made one also, but I've only seen it at demo sale, not in stores. So maybe it didn't sell well and discontinued.

Never used the zippo one, but the small packet iron powder handwarmer do need to be kept in a confined space like pocket or glove to function. They barely get lukewarm if left outside.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:34:37 PM
I do like the Zippo hand warmer,and use it on the colder shooting comps,and have even been known to slip it into my pocket at work on the colder days.

It's just warm enough to help spread heat through your clothes,and give your body a helping hand
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:55:36 PM
Bosch makes a heated jacket that use their 12v lithium drill battery, only seen it on amazon, no experience with it.

Columbia made one also, but I've only seen it at demo sale, not in stores. So maybe it didn't sell well and discontinued.

Never used the zippo one, but the small packet iron powder handwarmer do need to be kept in a confined space like pocket or glove to function. They barely get lukewarm if left outside.

Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt also offer heated jackets.  You can find them at Home Depot, usually with the Milwaukee one in stock.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:29:00 AM
Huh, didn't know they were that common. Come to think of it, I did see a guy wearing the Bosch jacket skiing the other day, not sure how well it works for that application.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 03:40:29 AM
I have been tempted to pick one up, although the cost itself is about $200, plus I'd need extra batteries as they appear to only run for 3-5 hours and I'd need 2-3 times that.  At least.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 03:57:49 AM
Yeah, I was going to ask how long does those dinky batteries last. Remember those batteries are expensive eh, about $50 each.

Probably easiest to get a couple of zippo hand warmers and a jug of coleman fuel.

us Offline abd1959

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 04:24:37 AM
I've been using a new Zippo also and noticed the same thing. It doesn't feel very hot, especially what I remember as a kid carrying the Jon-E handwarmer while out hunting. The Jon-E was almost too hot even with the bag.  I have been thinking of snagging one on eBay and putting the Zippo out to pasture.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:31:41 PM
Yeah, I was going to ask how long does those dinky batteries last. Remember those batteries are expensive eh, about $50 each.

Probably easiest to get a couple of zippo hand warmers and a jug of coleman fuel.

That's what I figure, and also if the Zippo dies on me before the end of the day I can just refill and re-light it and keep going.  If batteries die and I don't have a spare with me or charged I'm screwed.

Still, it would be nice to have it for less cold days, maybe when I'm in and out of the truck or in the shed which isn't heated but is sheltered from the wind.  I'll probably get one eventually, but for now I'm not sure it's completely necessary.

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 02:25:38 PM
I like the traditional coal hand-warmer like this

I removed the velvet cover so it has less insulation (mine also came with an sleeve). Great thing is that if you need more heat just burn the coal from both ends. And no liquid, so it cannot leak into my pocket.
handwarmer.jpg
* handwarmer.jpg (Filesize: 59.63 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
My father had one of those but the coal is getting harder to find locally so I sent him the Zippo one.  He'd also had a problem with the coals breaking and only burning up to the broken spot, then he'd have to re-light it, but only after he'd already started to get cold.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:43 PM
I take it'll need to be real coal, not charcoal eh? I wouldn't know where to even begin getting those, last time I saw any was probably 17 years ago.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 06:33:49 PM
You guys have almost sold me on the Zippo warmer.

I've been interested in one for some time now.

lots if mixed reviews on the net.

I could use I'm fricken cold.
Defend the Hive!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:36 PM
I like the traditional coal hand-warmer like this

(Image removed from quote.)

I removed the velvet cover so it has less insulation (mine also came with an sleeve). Great thing is that if you need more heat just burn the coal from both ends. And no liquid, so it cannot leak into my pocket.

I used to use these playing golf early in the morning. Worked very well.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 09:49:25 PM

I would stay away from the Zippo one from what I have seen with mine. It didnt even get hot enough to consider using. I guess I could try a different fuel, but im kind of over it already. While it is easy to fill I dont like using lighter fluid on something that is going into my pocket.
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 03:26:04 AM
Figures the guy from Cali doesn't know about insulation:P  If you keep the Zippo in your pocket (it is supposed to be a hand warmer) it works really well.  If you hang it around your neck under a sweater or jacket it heats things up nicely.  Maybe not California hot but it works quite well for those of us that are surrounded by ice rather than just having it in their drinks!  :D

Def

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 04:05:31 AM

I would stay away from the Zippo one from what I have seen with mine. It didnt even get hot enough to consider using. I guess I could try a different fuel, but im kind of over it already. While it is easy to fill I dont like using lighter fluid on something that is going into my pocket.

I would encourage you to give the Zippo another chance because I remember feeling the same way when I first tried mine.  I seem to remember that it didn't seem to heat up very well on occasion when I was new to it.  Now I think the tricky bit is that it can take a little while to "light" it.  It's worth holding it to the flame for a while to thoroughly heat up the catalyst to make sure it really gets going, otherwise I think you can end up with only some of the catalyst working, so it works on a slow burn at a lower temperature.

Another thing I found is that it is easiest to fill it from the aluminium Zippo fuel canister you can buy separately.  I end up getting fuel all over the place when I try to fill it with the little plastic measurer.
 :facepalm:
You could just fill it directly from the can, but you'd have to be careful not to overfill the reservoir!

If you want to stop it burning to save your remaining fuel, you can just knock the catalyst cap off with you trusty pocket tool, or just use the lid.  Leave it a couple of minutes to cool down, then you can reassemble and pop it back in your pocket until you need it again.   ;)

Hope that helps.   :)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 06:43:50 AM
Figures the guy from Cali doesn't know about insulation:P  If you keep the Zippo in your pocket (it is supposed to be a hand warmer) it works really well.  If you hang it around your neck under a sweater or jacket it heats things up nicely.  Maybe not California hot but it works quite well for those of us that are surrounded by ice rather than just having it in their drinks!  :D

Def

Hold the phone! I did have it in my pocket for quite a while before I talked bad about it.    ;)

I did talk it down quite quick without giving it much of a chance though. I was also using old lighter fluid so that might have something to do with it. I forgot to mention that earlier.  :whistle: It was also its first burn so I think it might need a couple more under its belt to break her in.   :tu:

I love lots of ice in my drinks by the way!   :twak:   :D
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 03:14:34 PM
I was just teasing Cap- if truth be known I'd much rather complain about the cold in California than the cold in Canada any day of the week!

One year I went for an early morning walk in Las Vegas in a T shirt and shorts.  It was just on that edge of perhaps needing pants and a slightly heavier shirt or warmer jacket for me, but comfortable enough as I was, while everyone around me was wearing parkas, sweaters and long pants.  I make it easy for people playing "Spot The Canadian" on the Strip!  :D

Seriously, give the warmer another chance.  They do work quite well in my experience, and I've worn them in weather down to -30C to -40C (that's -20 to -40F) for several hours at a time and managed to live.  The secret is to keep them fairly close to your body, about mid chest near your heart.  Then pile a few layers over top of them to keep the heat in.

On particularly cold days I usually wear a T shirt with a slightly heavier long sleeve shirt over it, followed by a heavy sweater then a heavy coat.  The Zippo usually goes either under or over the long sleeve shirt depending on what I feel like that day.  I will admit to having given a lot of thought to getting a second one to wear in the same position on my back, but I managed to get a floater suit at the end of the season last year, so I'll see how that works with the one Zippo before getting another.

That should help keep more than enough heat in that I won't need a second Zippo, but we'll see.

Def

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:33 PM
  Been curious about them myself, but the combustible-in-the-pocket also scares me. Knowing that Zippo lighters themselves do not seal well and have to refill them just about every time I go to use it gets annoying.
Am not a smoker and rarely use a lighter, so the fuel evaporates (most of the time) before I use it again.

Too bad Zippo don't make collectable versions of these handwarmers, like the famous Zippo/Leatherman Pin-Up Girl lighter.

When was ringing bells for The Salvation Army this year is was rough staying warm, more specifically of the feet. Having wool socks and a wool insole helped, standing in one spot defeated the warmth after 6 hours. Had many layers on and no comfortable place to change socks at lunch. Did battle switching socks in the compact car, but that took about 30 minutes.
  Had tried the iron warmers for the feet, placing them on my toes - swear they never worked. Even letting them get hot first, place them inside the cheap snowboots I got and still no heat. /grr

Did use the iron hard warmers in each glove or mitten. // Got these most awesome Official Canadian Olympic mittens from some Canadians I met 4 years ago.  Wished I could meet them again. //

Considering the fuel, the cost of the hand warmer, and the cost of the catalyst, how does that fare in comparison to just buying iron/wood hand warmers in a given amount of time?

One downside I see about the Zippo hand warmer is that is also needs something to ignite the catalyst. So for those of us that do not smoke that means packing another flame source past an emergency fire starter.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 09:49:08 PM
I have those exact mittens.  :D

Try bringing (or finding) a scrap of corrugated cardboard to stand on when you are outside standing for a long period of time.  It works great to insulate you from cold concrete.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:34 PM
The heat that the Zippo maintains is directly proportional to how well it can "breathe" oxygen.

If left on a table in the velvet bag, my Zippo hand warmer will get so hot you don't want to hold it.  It is important to let it sit and warm up for at least 10 minutes or so before you put it into less breathable area such as a coat pocket.
- Terry

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 05:10:54 PM
Bump! With winter setting upon me I'm considering getting one of these. I think it would be a cool "gadget" for fishing in cold weather

Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 06:17:42 AM
  Am not really sold on them just yet. Sure hate to lose my Driza-bone to a Zippo Handwarmer...  :twak:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:30 AM
Try bringing (or finding) a scrap of corrugated cardboard to stand on when you are outside standing for a long period of time.  It works great to insulate you from cold concrete.

Looks like I may be doing this again for the 5th season. Wonder if I could find some sort of foam cushiony insulation from Home Depot and glue it to a piece of square carpet before the cold really sets in? Not sure what sort of foam to get for the insulation.

Did see these ThermaCELL Heated Insoles that use batteries in the insoles. Probably not very comfortable to wear, but the idea looks interesting - if it gets anywhere to as cold as last year. Not sure of them batteries can take my weight though.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%