Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question for lock blade users

kirk13 · 41 · 3041

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: December 30, 2013, 09:09:39 PM
Warning...it's another controversial thread coming up....

I've noticed in the different EDC threads how many people carry a SAK,a MT, a lock knife and often a slippie as well. In my own experience, a SAK or a slippie will cover all eventualities. Now,admittly I work in retail,and in the UK, but just what do you need a big lock blade for?

In asking this in not having a go at those of you who do carry big lockers,I'd just like to know what you actually use them for
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:17:13 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Re: Question for lock blade users
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:12:09 PM
silly Kirky  :twak: what is this NEED you speak of ?  :ahhh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:14 PM
No,TD, I think this is a legitimate question....why carry,say a Spyderco Paramilitary?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:16:13 PM
indeed it is a legitimate question ! I shouldn't mock ... it's just sooo much fun  :D

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:37 PM
A locking blade is safer for the fingers when applying a lot of force to the blade.  :salute:
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:37 PM
I think sawman gave the most accurate answer possible. 

this is especially true when working with the tip of the blade.
If I can help, let me know 

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:57 PM
Just another safety feature for when I get a bit reckless or don't really have the possibility to be as mindful of what I'm doing as normally.

Now I'll be the first to admit that in 90% of the cases a SAK or slippie would have been perfectly fine for my EDC. It's that 10% though as I had a close call with a Douk Douk (a reason why I'm thankful for it's mid stop point)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:22:04 PM
Like there's not enough threads mocking me already :facepalm:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:23:59 PM
A locking blade is safer for the fingers when applying a lot of force to the blade.  :salute:
I think sawman gave the most accurate answer possible. 

this is especially true when working with the tip of the blade.

Fair enough guys,but DOING WHAT?

EMPs doing rescue work?

Or?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:32:01 PM
I would prefer a lock blade for safety reasons but am happy with a slipjoint for general edc  :tu:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:34:55 PM
I see your point Kirky (god help me) I would agree (oh dear)  'I' don't need a lock , nor do I carry one most of the time, because of the laws etc, but I would if it were legal I guess  :think:
in a lot of scenarios i'd rather have a fixed blade, but I rarely come up against these in the wilds of populated Kent.
to me, one handed opening is more useful than a lock. But i'd take a lock over non-lock if the choice was there for EDC

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:45:04 PM
stabbing....   :D

and twisting, digging...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:49:41 PM
I do it for safety reasons and it's totally legal where I'm from so because I can, I'm exercising my right?

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:10:32 PM

EMPs doing rescue work?

Or?

Mostly where you need the tip and could put some force behind it. In my case it happened while cutting off a zip tie off a steel pipe. Not a whole lot of room, slipped a bit and put too much force on the spine of the knife.
It was user error but the price would be a bit too much
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:02 PM

EMPs doing rescue work?

Or?

Mostly where you need the tip and could put some force behind it. In my case it happened while cutting off a zip tie off a steel pipe. Not a whole lot of room, slipped a bit and put too much force on the spine of the knife.

Thanks Styx,THATS the kind of response I was looking for :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:13 PM
I prefer a locking blade, safety being one reason.
also a linerlock or other blade lock that locks up tight like a fixed blade gives better "feel" to the tool. It's hard to explain but any tradies (tradesmen) out there will understand..  akin to the difference between a cheap chinese made spanner and a Stahlwille or Snap-On tool.
Personally I find the blade of the 93mm Alox knives to be just about the perfect size. now I just need to build a linerlock one...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:38 PM
Like there's not enough threads mocking me already :facepalm:
You're right, there's not.  :pok: :D Just kidding!!

For me, I'm generally happy using a slip joint for most cutting duties, but if I'm cutting something where the back of the blade is resting up against something, or cutting at certain angles, I feel much better using something that locks.  A locking blade allows you to do slightly dumber cuts.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:45 PM
I prefer a locking blade, safety being one reason.
also a linerlock or other blade lock that locks up tight like a fixed blade gives better "feel" to the tool. It's hard to explain but any tradies (tradesmen) out there will understand..  akin to the difference between a cheap chinese made spanner and a Stahlwille or Snap-On tool.
Personally I find the blade of the 93mm Alox knives to be just about the perfect size. now I just need to build a linerlock one...

Ok,that I can understand :tu:

For me, I'm generally happy using a slip joint for most cutting duties, but if I'm cutting something where the back of the blade is resting up against something, or cutting at certain angles, I feel much better using something that locks.  A locking blade allows you to do slightly dumber cuts.

That too makes lots of sense :salute:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:32 PM

EMPs doing rescue work?

Or?

^^This. I've nearly chopped the end of a finger off with a Kick doing just that.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 11:12:48 PM
I do it for safety reasons and it's totally legal where I'm from so because I can, I'm exercising my right?

This. Not just for protection from humans but animals as well.
I'm the milk man!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:49 PM
I like em all! Fixed, frame/liner/clasp-lockers, slip joints, and friction folders.  :gimme:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 11:21:16 PM
I like em all! Fixed, frame/liner/clasp-lockers, slip joints, and friction folders.  :gimme:

This as well.   :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 12:01:20 AM

I agree with this as well ^^^

I do like the safety of a locking blade while working especially when pulling the full blade across material say for instance like rope or when exerting pressure in odd angles.  I used to use a recruit nearly full time till I got my Wenger S10 and it was this knife that won the right to sit in pocket for work purposes.  I think for many reasons fixed blade would be best as I think kitchen knives, hunting knives, sport knives ( fishing, camping ), so a locking blade is the best of both worlds for me.  Now that's now to say when I use a locking knife I don't treat it with respect its just a built in layer for me when I using it harder.   

005.JPG
* 005.JPG (Filesize: 153.03 KB)
007.JPG
* 007.JPG (Filesize: 186.84 KB)
008.JPG
* 008.JPG (Filesize: 187.33 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:14 AM
Well if you want to carry a large blade it makes sense to have a lockblade.  An 8 inch blade as a slipjoint would need a crazy strong spring.  Easier at that point to have a locking mechanism. 

I carry a full size benchmade griptilian and love it.  It would be weird as a slipjoint since you cant one hand open them, then.  So I guess the answer Im giving you is that its convenient to have a one hand opening blade that locks.  It can't be fixed as then its too big to carry the same way, and cant be a slipjoint as it cant be easy one hand open with large resistive spring.  A friction folder could be one hand open, but most people arent going to want that.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 04:10:09 AM
I like the smoothness of the opening vs. most slipjoint knives. Most lockblades also offer one hand opening, which some slipjoints do, but many don't. The added safety of the lock is also comforting when getting in to more intense....um...projects :D

Offline Philthy

Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 07:01:26 AM

I agree completely, in another thread I mentioned a time when I was at the scene of a pitbull attack... 

I would additionally suggest that when it comes to any tool, I always try to use the most technologically advanced version of the tool that I am able.  I don't use a crank drill to install things on my walls I use a power drill.  I don't use a hand saw to cut wood, I use some kind of power saw.

Using a slip joint knife when I can use a locking knife is a step in the wrong direction for me.  I understand why people who can't legally carry a locking knife carry what they carry.

Even if I lived in a place where I could carry a gun for defensive purposes I would still carry a locking knife for cutting tasks.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 07:37:36 AM
Very well said Philthy.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 11:11:16 AM
Mainly, I like One Handed Opening (I can't say I -need- it, but I like to have it :) ) and that rules out most slippies.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 11:55:49 AM
Just another safety feature for when I get a bit reckless or don't really have the possibility to be as mindful of what I'm doing as normally.

Now I'll be the first to admit that in 90% of the cases a SAK or slippie would have been perfectly fine for my EDC. It's that 10% though as I had a close call with a Douk Douk (a reason why I'm thankful for it's mid stop point)

What was the model? I got a large one and the spring in it is terrific! You really need to make a lot of pressure to get it to close (even only half way).

:think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 11:58:36 AM

I agree completely, in another thread I mentioned a time when I was at the scene of a pitbull attack... 

I would additionally suggest that when it comes to any tool, I always try to use the most technologically advanced version of the tool that I am able.  I don't use a crank drill to install things on my walls I use a power drill.  I don't use a hand saw to cut wood, I use some kind of power saw.

Using a slip joint knife when I can use a locking knife is a step in the wrong direction for me.  I understand why people who can't legally carry a locking knife carry what they carry.

Even if I lived in a place where I could carry a gun for defensive purposes I would still carry a locking knife for cutting tasks.

Nah, you should use short machinegun bursts to do it. That is the most technologically advanced version of a cutting tool...

8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD